FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   BOS to OGG this July What area of Maui to Stay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/522668-bos-ogg-july-what-area-maui-stay.html)

lorra Feb 3, 2006 9:33 pm

BOS to OGG this July What area of Maui to Stay

We're booked for Maui. Have been to HNL, never been to OGG. There are four areas of the island to stay. Are some of the areas:
1. too far
2. too hot
3. too rainy
4. no good beach

Anybody do Maui by AA?

HNL Feb 3, 2006 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by lorra
We're booked for Maui. Have been to HNL, never been to OGG. There are four areas of the island to stay. Are some of the areas:
1. too far
2. too hot
3. too rainy
4. no good beach

Anybody do Maui by AA?

Wailea - Makena are the best in my opinion.

Next Kapalua

acf573 Feb 3, 2006 9:49 pm

For reference, there's also a dedicated Hawaii forum here on FT:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=435

billmany Feb 3, 2006 9:49 pm

I think Wailea is the best part of the island by far. Alot less rain. I always stay and the Kea Lani (Fairmont Property) Great for kids.
Lahaina is the most touristy part of the island and

No mater were you stay Maui is fantastic. My favorite island.

Enjoy! :)

mvoight Feb 3, 2006 10:01 pm

1. too far
2. too hot
3. too rainy
4. no good beach

Are these rhetorical questions?

I have questions.

1. Why did you pick Maui?
2. When you decided on Maui, did you look at what various parts of the island had to offer?
3. One side of Maui gets far more rain than the other. Which side do you think that is? (no, the answer is not "outside")

bnw2005 Feb 3, 2006 10:04 pm

Suggest you look at Napili Kai Beach Resort (www.napilikai.com ) Has great beach all rooms are close, no building over two stories , friendly staff, most romantic restuarant on the island. It is next bay south of Kapulua and about 8 miles north of Lahaina.

skofarrell Feb 3, 2006 10:28 pm

Wailea, Kaanapali, then Kapaula. Kapaula can be too cloudy.

lorra Feb 3, 2006 10:54 pm

MVOIGHT Maui picked me. I had 70,000 AAdvantage miles. during the time we are taking our vacation we could get 2 free tickets to HNL or Maui with only one stop each way. I've been to HNL. Maui is different. I know it rains alot in Lahaina(spelling?) If I can get another 15,000 miles, I can take my son and his wife.

HNL Feb 3, 2006 11:00 pm

Maui is different. I know it rains alot in Lahaina(spelling?)

Not quite. Lahaina is on the leeward side of the island and does not draw the rain you think. Hana on the other hand get a lot of rain.

mvoight Feb 4, 2006 2:35 am

MVOIGHT Maui picked me. I had 70,000 AAdvantage miles. during the time we are taking our vacation we could get 2 free tickets to HNL or Maui with only one stop each way. I've been to HNL. Maui is different. I know it rains alot in Lahaina(spelling?) If I can get another 15,000 miles, I can take my son and his wife.

I agree that 70K will get 2 people to Hawaii, but there are nicer places available for only 30K each. :)

You didn't mention money.
So, if you want someplace head for Kehei.

BTW, the airport you are flying to is on the wet side. (windward)
Lahaina, as mentioned by one person, is on the dry side (Leeward)

I recommend watching sunrise over Haleakala, but it is quite a drive from the resort areas.

There is a large cluster of the normal resorts (Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriot, etc) north of Lahaina. If you want to be near people, go here. A bit further away, the crowds thin out. I like the Four Seasons.

pauleeepaul Feb 4, 2006 4:35 am

THIS IS NOT AN AA QUESTION WHY DID YOU POST IT ON THE AA FORUM?!?

;)
:D

The Kapalua area is nice- I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton there and would recommend it. It is close to Lahaina, which is a nice town for strolling around. It seemed to get cloudy every day in the late morning- I think the proximity to Haleakala might have something to do with it.

svenskaflicka Feb 4, 2006 5:47 am

We fly to OGG from BOS on AA. It's quite a flight. Our upcoming flight next month leaves BOS at 5:45 AM. Yikes! We upgraded to first using points.

We stay in all three area's. This time though we are flying into HNL and staying at the Halekulani, then we are taking an inter-island over to Maui. First we are staying in Kapalua (taking a chance on weather) because it is just sooo beautiful and peaceful. We are then going down to Wailea at the Kea Lani. Each area has it's own charms. Kaanapali is busy and feels a bit too rat racey for us, although we used to stay there quite a bit. Wailea has a sophisticated feel to it and it's always sunny. It has great dining and shopping. ($$$$) Kapalua is the place that makes feel the most like I am in Hawaii. It's peaceful and serene. I always feel very relaxed up there. When the weather isn't cooperating it can be very boring. This year the weather patterns are much better than last year so we are taking the chance in going to the Ritz.

UpgradeMe Feb 4, 2006 7:05 am

Aa???????

Gabatta Feb 4, 2006 7:06 am

Wailea, Wailea, Wailea

ccengct Feb 4, 2006 7:32 am

Wailea!

And like the other post says, do the sunrise at Haleakala. Depends on the time of year, but we had to leave Wailea about 0230 to get there in time. Bring a breakfast to eat at the top, and like all the guidebooks say, bring some warm clothes -- it's cold up there -- and don't go if you have problems in thin air.