Wiki Posts
Search

Tell me About Kona Village Resort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Tell me About Kona Village Resort

Well, I just got a great offer - 4 nights at KVR in January! Think I'll take it... Anyway, only stayed at the Orchid on the BI & I'm really intrigued by KVR, having spent a lot of time in Fiji & Tahiti, both of which it sounds very similiar to. I see 2 different restaurants & 1 has 'some' food supplements. Any suggestions? Would it be worth it to leave & dine elsewhere 1 night or should we just stay put? Since we are the guests of someone, don't think I have a whole lot of choice of which accommodations, but it looks like they vary by quite a bit in amenities & location. TIA!

Bonus Points - I keep hearing the luau is a must-do, but I HATE luaus - at least the big painful ones I've been to in the past - what should I do - hide in my room or sneak off-property or participate?! Will my husband who hates them even more than I do (if it's possible...) never forgive if I talk him into this one?

Last edited by brendamc; Dec 13, 2005 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by brendamc
...Bonus Points - I keep hearing the luau is a must-do, but I HATE luaus - at least the big painful ones I've been to in the past - what should I do - hide in my room or sneak off-property or participate?! Will my husband who hates them even more than I do (if it's possible...) never forgive if I talk him into this one?
Can't say I know about KVR, but I'll go for the bonus points.

Plan A: claim that you have some potentially contagious illness and that you need to stay in your room.

Plan B: if they don't believe you, bring a flask and an iPod to the luau.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Well, I just got a great offer - 4 nights at KVR in January! Think I'll take it... Anyway, only stayed at the Orchid on the BI & I'm really intrigued by KVR, having spent a lot of time in Fiji & Tahiti, both of which it sounds very similiar to. I see 2 different restaurants & 1 has 'some' food supplements. Any suggestions? Would it be worth it to leave & dine elsewhere 1 night or should we just stay put? Since we are the guests of someone, don't think I have a whole lot of choice of which accommodations, but it looks like they vary by quite a bit in amenities & location. TIA!

Bonus Points - I keep hearing the luau is a must-do, but I HATE luaus - at least the big painful ones I've been to in the past - what should I do - hide in my room or sneak off-property or participate?! Will my husband who hates them even more than I do (if it's possible...) never forgive if I talk him into this one?
Where did the 4 night offer come from? KVR stays include meals, that's part of the reason they are so expensive. The luau at KVR is supposed to be the best on the Island but.... a luau is a luau. Once you've seen two it's time to stop! Just say no! Rent a car & tour the island. Stop at Waikoloa and try a dinner at Roy's or go to Waimea and try Daniel Thiebaut's or Merriman's.

Phil
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Have been to KVR dozens of times over the years and it is my favorite resort in Hawaii. I have seen many changes over the years; some for the better, some not. Generally, the changes have been positive. The rate is for 3 meals a day. The food is good, if not exceptional; breakfast and lunch buffet are the best meals. The accommodations vary according to location and size. The best hales are NH 4 and 5 which sit atop lava and you have the ocean at your feet and are lulled to sleep by the sound of the water slapping up against the lava rocks. The beach is lovely and it is an excellent swimming beach; far better than the beach at the neighborhing 4 Seasons. Excellent spa (if not as luxurious as 4S). No golf course. Re: Luau--it probably is the best around. Having said that it is still a luau and you don't have to attend. One or both of the restaurants will remain open.
KVR is the most relaxing of any Hawaiian resort I have been to....no dress codes, nice people, very very relaxing. If TV is important you may want to check if they now have them. The last time we were there, the rooms still lacked TV's which was perfectly fine with us. They have an excellent website and it quite accurately describes the accomodations and amenities.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Have been to KVR dozens of times over the years and it is my favorite resort in Hawaii. I have seen many changes over the years; some for the better, some not. Generally, the changes have been positive. The rate is for 3 meals a day. The food is good, if not exceptional; breakfast and lunch buffet are the best meals. The accommodations vary according to location and size. The best hales are NH 4 and 5 which sit atop lava and you have the ocean at your feet and are lulled to sleep by the sound of the water slapping up against the lava rocks. The beach is lovely and it is an excellent swimming beach; far better than the beach at the neighborhing 4 Seasons. Excellent spa (if not as luxurious as 4S). No golf course. Re: Luau--it probably is the best around. Having said that it is still a luau and you don't have to attend. One or both of the restaurants will remain open.
KVR is the most relaxing of any Hawaiian resort I have been to....no dress codes, nice people, very very relaxing. If TV is important you may want to check if they now have them. The last time we were there, the rooms still lacked TV's which was perfectly fine with us. They have an excellent website and it quite accurately describes the accomodations and amenities.
Should I book the spa in advance for a mid week mid Jan stay? Think we'll go over to the 4 Ssns the luau night - I've heard both Alan Wong's Grill & Pauhiu (I'm sure I've got it toally wrong, but something like that!) are excellent. Been to Roy's & Brown's & don't feel like driving to Merriman's - btw, I've heard you should only go to the original, not the Waikaloa - the closer one is truly awful according to some well-respected foodies I know... Thanks, all for the advice!
Old Dec 24, 2005, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Should I book the spa in advance for a mid week mid Jan stay? Think we'll go over to the 4 Ssns the luau night - I've heard both Alan Wong's Grill & Pauhiu (I'm sure I've got it toally wrong, but something like that!) are excellent. Been to Roy's & Brown's & don't feel like driving to Merriman's - btw, I've heard you should only go to the original, not the Waikaloa - the closer one is truly awful according to some well-respected foodies I know... Thanks, all for the advice!
both alan wong's and pa'uhia (you were so close!) are terrific, especially now that pa'uhia has abandoned their experiment with black forest cuisine. (the black forest food was yummy, but really. who wants to go to hawaii to eat what you can have in berlin?) the former is a bit more casual, the latter a bit dressier. i like the desserts better at pa'uhia, ymmv.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You were both close Assuming you're referring to the restaurant in the 4s next door to KVR, that is Pahu i`a. It is well worth a visit for at least one romantic sunset dinner - the food and service are excellent, and it's on my must-do list as a special dinner spot on all my trips.

I didn't know they did a black forest cuisine experiment - that is abit odd for them, because they seem to focus alot on Hawaiian/Pacrim cuisine (or derivations thereof). I think I would be abit annoyed if I went there for their delicious Ahi or Ono and was offered weinerschnitzel instead.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:42 am

I stayed here a couple of years ago. It is very nice and comfortable. People are friendly, and activities are included. It is very kid-friendly with complimentary (good) activities. It has too relatively nice pools, and a large nice beach. Rooms are comfortable, though a bit dated. They are not at all stylish, unlike the FS rooms next door. I think it is definately a great place considering that you are not paying for it; I would definately return even paying for it.

Re: food. It is good, not excellent; very plentiful though. Breakfast is the best meal: it changes daily, is a la carte, and has great pastries. Lunch was fair to good: a very large buffet with huge variety. Dinner was also quite good: Hale Samoa (the fancy restaurant) is much better than Hale Moana. You will pay a slight premium for it though. The luau was the best we went to; it is very nice, a very good show, and pretty good food. If you are going to go to one, this is it! However, a luau is still a luau. I have not heard great things about Alan Wongs at the Four Seasons; it is not supposed to be as good as his place in Honolulu.

In short, I really liked KVR. I think that it has one of the most Hawaiian feels considering that it lacks TVs, radios, and keys. Staff are incredibly friendly. It is not as polished as, say, a FS resort, but it is overall a great experience.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Where did the 4 night offer come from? KVR stays include meals, that's part of the reason they are so expensive. The luau at KVR is supposed to be the best on the Island but.... a luau is a luau. Once you've seen two it's time to stop! Just say no! Rent a car & tour the island. Stop at Waikoloa and try a dinner at Roy's or go to Waimea and try Daniel Thiebaut's or Merriman's.

Phil
Sorry to mislead, it wasn't an offer, it was a private business invitation & not from the resort.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Think we'll go for the "P" one & since I love AW's in HNL so much, would hate to be disappointed by this one. Wanted to ask again if anyone had any input on whether or not spa services needed to be reserved in advance...
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

brendamc I see no reason to book the spa in advance, but if concerned, call the hotel and ask their opinion. My feeling about KVR is just settle in...relax...forget about renting a car and dine at the hotel. It really is the most relaxing place I have ever been. You will get in the relaxation mood quite quickly. Bring lots of books and sunscreen. No reason to bring many clothes as the resort is very very casual. You can even wear a pareo and sandals in the restaurant. If you play tennis, they have lovely courts. Enjoy your stay.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Assuming you're referring to the restaurant in the 4s next door to KVR, that is Pahu i`a.
you're right, of course.
how embarrassing...they're going to take away my kama'aina card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.