FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Help with Hawaii Vacation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/474622-help-hawaii-vacation.html)

RichMSN Sep 20, 2005 1:45 pm

Help with Hawaii Vacation

My wife and I (and we're bringing our infant daughter and my mother-in-law, who lives with us and takes care of the baby during the day) are going to Hawaii from the 12th to the 26th of November. I've decided to avoid breaking the bank and stay in reasonably priced accommodations and/or use points. That said, I do have a few questions I hope my fellow FTers can answer.

(1) We are starting in Maui -- 12th until the 16th. I haven't yet booked a property, because I'm hoping to use some of my Membership Rewards points on a 2-bedroom condo. We've considered the ResortQuest .... Maui and I'm willing to book an Ocean View 2 bedroom there since I can use my MR points -- but if anyone else has any suggestions on a 2 bedroom condo with a decent view, please let me know.

(2) We are going to head to Lanai from Maui. I would like to take the ferry from Lahaina Harbor. Unfortunately, this is where I run into some logistic questions best answered by someone who lives (or has been) there.

Is it best for us to keep the rental car from OGG (is there overnight parking?) and take the ferry to and from Lanai or should I return the car to OGG and pay the cab fare back to Lahaina (which appears to be expensive). My preference would be to keep the rental car if I could pay a reasonable amount for 3 days of parking -- then we could take the ferry to Lanai, spend three nights there, take the ferry back to Lahaina, pick up the car, and drive to OGG for our flight to Kauai. I'm sure I could've booked this all better, but go easy on me, I'm a rookie.

BTW, I was tempted greatly by the two Four Seasons properties in Lanai, but the Hotel Lanai seems charming and leaves me money to do other things. Anyone ever stay there? My goal for Lanai is to disappear from the world for a while and RELAX and I'll relax more if I'm not spending $400/night.

(3) Kauai -- the one place where I don't have any real questions. We rented a 2-bedroom condo for about $160/night and it looks like it's in a nice location, based on the pictures.

(4) Oahu -- We are spending but 2 nights in Oahu. The original plan was for 3 nights, but returning on the 27th stuck us in some much higher fare classes (which would've doubled the airfare), so we're returning on the 26th. I've booked the Renaissance Waikiki with Marriott Rewards points. My wife was oohing and aahing over the JW Marriott Ihilani at Ko Olina, but it seems a waste with the additional company and only a two night stay. I want to see Pearl Harbor and DiamondHead while there and we will have a rental car. If anyone can recommend a Marriott property or simply tell me the Renaissance Waikiki will serve our purposes fine, please let me know.

I thank anyone who responds in advance. I read through the FAQ and will do so more thoroughly later, but I didn't find answers to my specific questions. Thanks.

--RichMSN

jtkauai Sep 20, 2005 6:37 pm

re maui to lanai. i think you'll get stuck with around $20/day to park the car at Lahaina. Otherwise, the cab takes about 30-40 minutes and costs about $45.

we've stayed at the hotel lanai and i didn't find it all that charming. just barely okay. photos on their web site are not representative. have a look at tripadviser.com. anyway up to you, but i'd do the lodge in a heartbeat.

gardener Sep 20, 2005 7:13 pm

Consider dropping the car at Kapalua airport. Much closer to Lahaina than OGG.

RichMSN Sep 21, 2005 11:25 am

Originally Posted by jtkauai
re maui to lanai. i think you'll get stuck with around $20/day to park the car at Lahaina. Otherwise, the cab takes about 30-40 minutes and costs about $45.

we've stayed at the hotel lanai and i didn't find it all that charming. just barely okay. photos on their web site are not representative. have a look at tripadviser.com. anyway up to you, but i'd do the lodge in a heartbeat.

Some of us actually think a hotel room isn't worth as much as that one costs :)

DeniseM Sep 30, 2005 10:11 pm

4 islands in two weeks? Whoa...I wouldn't do more than 2! (Actually, we prefer to spend 2 weeks on one island.) Every time you change islands you lose a day. Yes, the flights are short, but by the time you pack up, drive to the airport, turn in the rental car, wait two hours for your flight, fly, wait for your luggage, get another rental car, drive to the next hotel, unpack - the day is gone. Which means your 14 days in Paradise are now down to 9, because you also lose a day coming and going... No way would I do that with a baby and grandma in tow! If you can still change you plans - do so! At least, eliminate Lanai. There is so much to do on each island, you don't really need to jump around. You probably want to see as much as possible, because you don't know if you'll be back...but trust me - YOU WILL!

I just wanted to add that the ferry crossings (to Lanai) can be rough. Might not be pleasant with the baby and grandma. As an alternative, consider leaving the baby with grandma for the day and you and your spouse can take a day trip to Lanai on a Trilogy Catamaran. We like the sunset trip - it leaves Lahaina Harbor about 10:30 am, and returns at sunset. You sail into the harbor sipping champagne and watching the most gorgeous sunset in the world. This trip includes 3 meals, snacks, drinks, snorkeling, a van tour on Lanai, and beach equipment and activities. It's our favorite activity on Maui It's not cheap, but it is still a lot cheaper than moving over to Lanai for 2 days.

http://www.sailtrilogy.com/adventure...set/index.html

NJTravelers Oct 4, 2005 10:44 am

My sister and brother in law just returned from 12 days in HNL and all of them at the Renaissance in Waikiki. There are two towers and NOT all of the rooms and floors have been updated. Make sure and ask at check in for a new room. She is a MR Silver and they didn't give them a new room at check in, but did the next day after she complained! She said the new rooms were very nice and the two bedroom suite they had for four nights was GREAT! Good location as well!

tom

freeflyin Oct 4, 2005 11:25 am

Originally Posted by NJTravelers
My sister and brother in law just returned from 12 days in HNL and all of them at the Renaissance in Waikiki. There are two towers and NOT all of the rooms and floors have been updated. Make sure and ask at check in for a new room. She is a MR Silver and they didn't give them a new room at check in, but did the next day after she complained! She said the new rooms were very nice and the two bedroom suite they had for four nights was GREAT! Good location as well!

tom

I found the location of the Renaissance to be it's best feature.Staff was not cooperative as we encountered problems and the rooms were old,perhaps they are better now.Pools are not impressive and anyone who is considering this property should know it is not on the beach,but a short walk.

We loved the Renaissance Wailea and will be trying Marriott Kauai in February.

sylvia hennesy Oct 4, 2005 11:29 am

I agree that you are packing and moving around a lot! Wouldn't a home base in a nice condo and then seeing one place (Maui, for sure) in a relaxed way be nice? Check out the Makena Surf for great locale.

RichMSN Oct 20, 2005 9:36 pm

Well, live and learn, I guess.

I've made some changes based on ferry schedules and the like, but frankly I've never gone on a vacation loinger than a week, so moving around a bit won't bother us. Grandma is more spry at 70 than I am at times.

We're arriving on the 12th (November) at OGG and returning the car to Kaanapali on the 16th with a free shuttle to Lahaina Harbor -- no one-way drop fee with Alamo, either. Much better organized.

My wife is set on seeing Lanai, although I suggested canceling, so we're taking the ferry over on the 16th. Ferries don't leave for Lahaina until 8AM and we have a flight from OGG to LIH at 10:30AM (my big mistake in scheduling), so we're heading back to Maui on the 18th to spend a reward night at the Kapalua Bay and then paying a shuttle to get us from there to OGG.

My choice island for the trip was Kauai, so we're going to spend the rest of the time there (5 nights).

We are staying in condos in Maui and Kauai, so we plan on packing light and doing some laundry while there.

I understand what you say about packing and moving, but there are only 2 inter-island flights and I'm looking forward to the ferry ride. Also, I'll be honest -- I don't like spending too much time in one place on holiday. Give me 2-4 nights in a hotel or condo and I'm ready to change up the scenery a bit. My wife's in charge of the touring and entertainment, so I'm sure I'll see enough to make me want to come back.

Thanks for all the tips.