Bringing your pet to Hawaii?

Bringing your pet to Hawaii?

Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Travel rules eased for pets

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Hawai'i residents who travel out of state with their pets will not have to place the animals in quarantine when they return, under a rule change approved yesterday by the state Board of Agriculture.

Quarantine fees
• Hawai'i animals in direct-release program, $165

• Subsequent trips for Hawai'i animals within 18-month period, $78

• Five-day or less program, $224

• 30-day program, $655

• 120-day program, $1,080

Source: Department of Agriculture

The change still requires final approval from Gov. Linda Lingle, who in June approved sweeping changes to a law originally written in 1912.

"We're delighted that the rules continue to be revised to make it easier for visitors and residents to travel with their pets, while still ensuring Hawai'i remains rabies free," the governor said yesterday.</font>
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

Glad to hear about the reduced quarantine time. Perhaps my pooch will begin traveling with me one of these days.

Aloha
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:03 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
fix broken link

Here's a link to the official site from the State of Hawai`i.

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

This post is dedicated to cblaisd (who I always thought was a bit Hawaiian at heart).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 20, 2005 at 9:03 pm
Old May 4, 2005, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriott Rewards, PSG
Unhappy Bringing your pet to Hawaii?

I was recently offered a positon with my company in Hawaii.....my dream. But as I have checked into this possible move I have found that all pets have to be in quaranteen for 30 days min, and there is only one facility (that is like a pound) that your pets must stay in, and no visits are allowed. Is this true? Is there ANY way around this? I REALLY want to move, but there is NO WAY I can subject my beloved dog to this treatment, he is royalty in our house and would never understand.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If I were going to an island other than Hawaii that allowed such a thing, I'd think about taking the pooch in a pet carrier through outbound security, giving him/her a tranquilizer and putting him/her in a carry on bag with sufficient ventilation (for storage under the seat in front of me). Of course, that wouldn't be legal for Hawaii.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
well, i have some good news for you, but it's neither cheap nor easy--you have to jump through a lot of hoops, and you have to start planning for your move to hawaii six months in advance, but it is possible to avoid the quarantine altogether. you have to get your dog microchipped and then vaccinated...i think it's twice in the six month period, once at the beginning and again at six months. then they do a test for the levels of rabies vaccination in your dog's blood--as long as the levels are acceptable, doggie can come in, possibly even the same day. (if levels aren't acceptable, doggie goes to quarantine )

check out this website for good info: http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_faq5.htm

also, you can google 'hawaii pet quarantine' for lots of info about the topic.

for what it's worth, i did a fair bit of research about this and the only way i've ever heard of anyone successfully sneaking their pet in is by private boat, like a sailboat, but it's a rough trip. pre 9/11, there were other ways, but not today.

also, unless airline procedures have changed, your animal MUST go in cargo hold rather than cabin. it's possible it's changed since i did this three years ago, but at the time no airline would allow pets in the cabin to hawaii--i called 'em all. (okay going back to mainland.) my cats spent 30 days in the facility in hilo, and while none of us were happy about it we all made it through fine.

that said, here's my favorite quarantine statistic--in all the years of the quarantine and animal testing for rabies, how many cases did they find?

anyone?

if you said ZERO, you win. glad they've (mostly) gotten rid of the archaic thing.
Old May 5, 2005, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriott Rewards, PSG
Thumbs up Thanks for the info.....5 days or less....the way to go!

Originally Posted by karenkay
well, i have some good news for you, but it's neither cheap nor easy--you have to jump through a lot of hoops, and you have to start planning for your move to hawaii six months in advance, but it is possible to avoid the quarantine altogether. you have to get your dog microchipped and then vaccinated...i think it's twice in the six month period, once at the beginning and again at six months. then they do a test for the levels of rabies vaccination in your dog's blood--as long as the levels are acceptable, doggie can come in, possibly even the same day. (if levels aren't acceptable, doggie goes to quarantine )

check out this website for good info: http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_faq5.htm

also, you can google 'hawaii pet quarantine' for lots of info about the topic.

for what it's worth, i did a fair bit of research about this and the only way i've ever heard of anyone successfully sneaking their pet in is by private boat, like a sailboat, but it's a rough trip. pre 9/11, there were other ways, but not today.

also, unless airline procedures have changed, your animal MUST go in cargo hold rather than cabin. it's possible it's changed since i did this three years ago, but at the time no airline would allow pets in the cabin to hawaii--i called 'em all. (okay going back to mainland.) my cats spent 30 days in the facility in hilo, and while none of us were happy about it we all made it through fine.

that said, here's my favorite quarantine statistic--in all the years of the quarantine and animal testing for rabies, how many cases did they find?

anyone?

if you said ZERO, you win. glad they've (mostly) gotten rid of the archaic thing.
I checked out that website, and it does not seem that expensive (but you may mean the actual cost of the treatments) and I'm sooooo happy this give me new hope! Either way he would not fit on the plane, he is a 70lbs Weimriener/Lab mix, so down below he must go, but I will definatly give him doggie drugs to battle his seperation anxiety. (He's a momma's boy!)
I did know that 0 rabies statistic, its crazy. I'm so sad that you kitty had to go through 30 days, but happy you have him with you now. I know my ddog would not make it, he is a rescue and is a bit closerphobic, I'm just worried about putting him in the cage for the 8 hr flight, he has never been crated, and is never on a leash or otherwise restricted (he is a perfect angel). If anyone has recently gone through this 5 days or less I would love to hear how it went, and if they try to through you any last minute curveballs!
Old May 5, 2005, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
We have some people in Kauai interested in purchasing a German Shepherd puppy from us and I recently studied this thoroughly. To qualify for the direct release program it takes a minimum of 17 weeks to have the required blood tests performed. A dog starts getting it's rabies shots as early as 12 weeks so we concluded that the youngest pup one can bring into the state is 29 weeks. Since there seems to be a demand for high-end dogs around Princeville we are actually considering bringing in an impregnated female and having the pups there. I have heard mention of their doing away with this program altogether.
Old May 5, 2005, 9:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
We brought out two cats in in February. We had moved to the Big Island in September, and the cats waited out their 120 days on the mainland. The procedures are not hard, but you need to follow the steps listed in the link above religiously and it helps to have a mainland vet who is familiar with prepping animals for move to Hawaii.

Fyi, ATA will allow small pets in-cabin under-the-seat but they are the only ones.

There is much discussion of and experience with the quarantine procedures and requirements on the Moving to Hawaii forum on www.konaweb.com
Old May 5, 2005, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
That zero rabies stat. is not surprising -- we're talking about folks moving to Hawaii. That group must be, on average, wealthier and better educated than average. They care so much about a pet that they want to bring it with them on the move. What are the chances they would be bringing a rabid pet?
Old May 5, 2005, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by littlekies
I know my ddog would not make it, he is a rescue and is a bit closerphobic, I'm just worried about putting him in the cage for the 8 hr flight, he has never been crated, and is never on a leash or otherwise restricted (he is a perfect angel). If anyone has recently gone through this 5 days or less I would love to hear how it went, and if they try to through you any last minute curveballs!
one thing you may want to do is start getting doggie ready for the crating NOW. put treats in the crate to entice him to enter, groom him in there, etc...talk to your vet--or do research on the web--about getting your pooch comfortable in the crate. you CAN do it, and it'll greatly ease his trip--and your mind

cblaisd is correct, follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine with the 5 day or less quarantine. good luck and happy travels ^

Last edited by karenkay; May 5, 2005 at 1:10 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 10, 2005, 10:00 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
Originally Posted by dhuey
That zero rabies stat. is not surprising -- we're talking about folks moving to Hawaii. That group must be, on average, wealthier and better educated than average. They care so much about a pet that they want to bring it with them on the move. What are the chances they would be bringing a rabid pet?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that new residents would deliberately bring a rabid animal. I think the mentality has just been, "You never know."

Are similar laws still enforced for the UK?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.