Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "When to buy tickets to Hawaii, how to get cheaper?" thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL

I'm planning a 8-10 day trip to Oahu & Maui next Mar / Apr or May. I know there isn't an "off season", but among these 3 months, which one is better? I want to avoid spring break, school break if possible.
And does anyone know if there is any first class tix sales (from NYC) during the first quarter? They had one last summer.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
There is an off-peak season for travel to Hawai'i that takes place in usually Oct and April, as well as February. The off-peak season does vary. I think it'd be best, though, to go in April. You might encounter April showers, but you take that chance almost anytime you go during non-Summer months. Spring break officials lands in the third or last week of March according to the DOE and you have schools getting out in May, especially UH.

The first class ticket sales you were referring to, the ones that costed around $1200, were part of a discounted First class fare intiated by American, Delta and Northwest. American and Northwest have pulled that fare, but Delta still has it. My guess is that it's not coming back for those two carriers, unfortunately. (Though the market might warrant cheaper F fares and I could be wrong, and am hoping so)

aloha
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I think that your chances of good (i.e., sunny and warm) weather would improve the later you visit in this time frame. Personally, since I live with no a/c, I prefer it a bit cloudier and cooler, but I know our visitors don't agree!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
I'd pick April... with a return in March!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Here's a little something from Expedia for all our viewers out there:

Long days of sunshine and fairly mild year-round temperatures make Hawai'i an all-season destination. Most resort areas are at sea level, with average afternoon temperatures of 75F-80F during the coldest months of December and January; during the hottest months of August and September the temperature often reaches 90F. Only at high elevations does the temperature drop into the colder realms, and only at mountain summits does it reach freezing.

Most travelers head to the Islands during winter. From mid-December through mid-April, visitors from the mainland and other areas covered with snow find Hawai'i's sun-splashed beaches and balmy trade winds appealing. This high season means that fewer travel bargains are available; room rates average 10%-15% higher during this season than the rest of the year.

Rainfall can be high in winter, particularly on the north and east shores of each island. Generally speaking, you are guaranteed sun and warm temperatures on the west and south shores no matter what time of year. Kaua'i's and the Big Island's northern sections get more annual rainfall than the rest of Hawai'i, and so much rain falls on Kaua'i's Mount Wai'ale'ale (approximately 472 inches of rain, or 39 ft), that it's considered the wettest place on earth.

The following are the normal daily temperature ranges for Kaua'i:

January 65-80F (18 to 27C); February 65-80F (18-27C); March 69-81F (21-27C); April 69-83F (21-28C); May 70-85F (21-29C); June 72-86F (22-30C); July 73-87F (23-31C); August 74-88F (23-31C); September 73-88F (23-31C); October 72-87F (22-31C); November 69-84F (21-29C); December 67-81F (19-27C).

Holidays

Major national holidays include New Year's Day (Jan. 1); Martin Luther King, Jr., Day (3rd Mon. in Jan.); President's Day (3rd Mon. in Feb.); Memorial Day (last Mon. in May); Independence Day (July 4); Labor Day (1st Mon. in Sept.); Thanksgiving Day (4th Thurs. in Nov.); Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Dec. 24 and 25); and New Year's Eve (Dec. 31).

In addition, Hawai'i celebrates Prince Kuhio Day (Mar. 26), King Kamehameha Day (June 11), and Admission Day (3rd Fri. in Aug.). State, city, and county offices as well as many local companies are closed for business.
http://www.expedia.com/daily/vacatio....asp?CCheck=1&

aloha
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

IMHO, May and October are the best months to travel anywhere in the world.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:35 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
season + 1st class

There is also the usual off-peak season between Sept and Dec 15 (excluding time around Thanksgiving). A bit late now, though. Any time is good, but you are wise to avoid the school holidays.

Hawaiian had a $999 first class deal - and may still. You would have to get from NYC to one of their gateways, however. (having flown it, I would rate it - like most all domestic 1st classes - as really a hyped business class without REAL first class food and service. Still, not bad, especially with the Aloha spirit)
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton- Gold, Marriott-Silver
June '06 flights to Hawaii, reserve when they come available or wait?

I am getting married on June 18, 2006 and I was wondering when I should book our flights. I would like to fly out early on June 19, 2006. Should I book them when they first become available or should I wait and watch?

I am located in NW Ohio so most likely I would want flights out of CVG, CMH, DAY, DTW, or TOL.

What kind of options do I have? I don't really know what kind of prices are average for this time of year from my location.

My fiance and I both have 20,000 miles on Delta and I am not sure what that would get us.

Most likely we will be flying immediately to Maui.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's far too early to begin booking now. However, if you know that you'd absolutely have to be here, then I'd suggest at least to begin monitoring fares. If you're looking at booking First Class, Delta and American both offer non-refundable First Class fares at about $1,200 a piece (if you're not tied down to Delta miles, go with American as they have more comfortable seats to Hawaii). The $1,200 fares don't really change, so if they're there this early on, I'd say it's safe to book them (because the carrier could also pull those fares at any time, like Northwest did). Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:07 am

When to book LAX-Koa for Spring Break 2007

My family and I are going to be going to Kona for Spring break 2007. Because of the kids' schedules, we are only able to go from Fri.-Fri. Right now, I am getting quotes of $800+ for non-stop flights from LA to Kona and $560.96 through Panda Travel on Delta with a connection in Salt Lake City (total travel time of 11 1/2 hrs.ugh!) When is the best time to purchase and what is a "good price" for our trip? Thanks for any info or input!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by pegs
My family and I are going to be going to Kona for Spring break 2007. Because of the kids' schedules, we are only able to go from Fri.-Fri. Right now, I am getting quotes of $800+ for non-stop flights from LA to Kona and $560.96 through Panda Travel on Delta with a connection in Salt Lake City (total travel time of 11 1/2 hrs.ugh!) When is the best time to purchase and what is a "good price" for our trip? Thanks for any info or input!
My thoughts: spring break won't be easy. Airlines probably won't load "real" fares for that time frame until perhaps 4-5 months in advance. A good fare, non-stop or via HNL, might be $500.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I think the sooner the better: I have notice that flights to Hawaii keep going up in price the closer one gets to departure. Sometimes, I have seen discounted prices right before departure, but you would have to be flexible, and lucky, to get such a price. I would book a ticket as soon as you can!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Have you tried one of the vacation package sites?

www.unitedvacations.com
or Escapes on United.com
or Packages on Expedia/Travelocity/AA.com

UnitedVacations is nice in that you can get the hotel/car for fewer days than the number of days your on-island, if need be.

In April I booked my wife (on two week's notice) KOA-SFO on UnitedVacations.com and the price was 1/2 the same flights booked on United.com! (Had to had one day of hotel for an extra $30, but total price was still ~50% of booking the flights alone through the airline's website)
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think the sooner the better: I have notice that flights to Hawaii keep going up in price the closer one gets to departure. Sometimes, I have seen discounted prices right before departure, but you would have to be flexible, and lucky, to get such a price. I would book a ticket as soon as you can!
As for HA specifically, they load first fares 330 days in advance. These are usually considerably higher, designed for people who want to book specific dates way out, without regard to best price. They load seasonal fares at about 120 days out. That's when they have a feeling on the market factors, and when you can get their best pricing, if there is any to be had.

Award tickets are obviously different.

cblaisd's idea is a good one. I forgot that.

I'd also the HNL travel agency cites.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. We have a timeshare so we can't book a vacation package which often has great deals. I'll keep checking and hopefully will find a better deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.