Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Aloha and Hawaiian Shirts - discussion, where to buy, etc." thread

Consolidated "Aloha and Hawaiian Shirts - discussion, where to buy, etc." thread

Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

I remember seeing an ad for classic aloha shirts based on designs from the 50s and 60s. I think that it was in the in-flight magazine of Aloha and/or Hawaiian. Anyone know the name of that company or have a link to a web site? Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Was it Hilo Hattie's?

There are a bunch of retailers that sell "classic" aloha shirts, but Hilo Hatties seems to have a very nice selection. www.hilohatties.com

aloha
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Was it Hilo Hattie's?
It wasn't Hilo Hatties, but I'll give them a try. It was a small ad, not large like Hilo Hatties tend to be. Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 27, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:13 pm

The classic ones are the silk ones - very expensive today and they require a lot of care.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More "classy" retro reprint than "classic"...I would recommend you visit (in person or online) Newt's At The Royal Hawaiian. You can not beat the quality of print, fabric, and sewing construction of these truly fine aloha shirts. He purchased the old Kula Bay shirt company many years ago and added many new items since then. Very expensive but worth it. One-of-a-kind shirts from a one-of-a-kind shop. One of my favorite shirtmakers and I've been purchasing shirts from him (or Kula Bay before he purchased them) for over 30 years. My 30 year-old aloha shirts look and wear just like the day I purchased them.

Also up there in quality (but also in price) is Reyn's (also known as Reyn Spooners). Another great line of retro and original aloha apparel available in several stores throughout the islands and via the web site. They even do especially creative Disney aloha shirts under a special license (newest release are some cool shirts based on "The Incredibles"). Reyn also custom makes shirts and logoware for some of the employees of many of the best resorts and restaurants in the islands.

Also high in quality but much more commercial, is Tommy Bahama's. Most of his prints are new designs but many are done in retro style and they are very nice.

Hilo Hattie's is sorta the K-Mart quality of aloha shirts in my experience and opinion. They are the mass retailer of aloha wear in the islands. Inexpensive and fine for what they are. But the quality of workmanship is not that great, IMHO. Also the designs tend to be a bit more limited (and some say "tacky") for my tastes. Not trying to be snobbish. It's just that Hattie's not my cup of tea I guess. But if you want some inexpensive aloha shirts that you don't plan on owning or wearing very long...they are fine.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:14 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
My Guess

Hilo Hatties has full page ads, Reyn's is usually a small ad as I seem to remember. Reyn's was my first guess when I read your posting.

With that said, I looked at the single issue I had handy of both Hana Hou (Hawaiian) and Aloha (Aloha Airlines) magazines, and find no Reyn's ad...
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
Hilo Hatties has full page ads, Reyn's is usually a small ad as I seem to remember. Reyn's was my first guess when I read your posting.

With that said, I looked at the single issue I had handy of both Hana Hou (Hawaiian) and Aloha (Aloha Airlines) magazines, and find no Reyn's ad...
Hilo Hattie's is a big sponsor of the Spirit of Aloha magazine, which was why it was my first guess... I wouldn't doubt that there'd be a Reyn's ad in there as well, but I'm guessing it was a smaller vendor. I won't be transiting on Aloha anytime soon, but if I (or hopefully another Flyertalker) do, I'll be sure to flip through that magazine and pick up the ad.

aloha
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Aloha vs. Hawaiian (Shirt)

Just FYI, an Aloha Shirt has to be made in Hawai`i to be called so (Reyns, Kahala, Tori Richard, etc.) Items made elsewhere (Tommy Bahama) are Hawaiian Shirts...
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Lots of shirts to look at now!
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I think that the ad I saw was for Reyn's. Still can't find the shirt I want though. I'm looking for something with a single large surfboard running up and down on one side of the shirt, with some other design as well with it. It's in my mind as if I've seen it somewhere. Hmmm. Mahalo for the good advice!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nishimark
I think that the ad I saw was for Reyn's. Still can't find the shirt I want though. I'm looking for something with a single large surfboard running up and down on one side of the shirt, with some other design as well with it. It's in my mind as if I've seen it somewhere. Hmmm. Mahalo for the good advice!
I've seen a good variety of aloha shirts on ebay. I've even bought a couple. My favorites are Tori Richard, Reyn Spooner & Kahana. The 'cotton lawn' shirts by Tori R. are luxurious. See if 'Sgt. Leisure' has a website. I bought a couple in their Lahaina store.

Phil
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FTraveler
The classic ones are the silk ones - very expensive today and they require a lot of care.
Actually not silk, Rayon. You might try Hawaiian-Shirt .Net . They had too many designs for me to look for the one the OP is describing. Here is A brief history of the "Hawaiian Aloha Shirt". I agree that Reyn's/Reyn Spooners are excelent shirts. If you're ever on Kaua'i, go by Kapaia Stitchery, pick out some fabric, and have them make you some shirts.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mwhitted
Actually not silk, Rayon.
There are silk and rayon (artificial silk) shirts. I'm talking about the real silk shirts made from kimono fabric and sold in the 40s and 50s. My grandfather and uncles had many of these shirts.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FTraveler
There are silk and rayon (artificial silk) shirts. I'm talking about the real silk shirts made from kimono fabric and sold in the 40s and 50s. My grandfather and uncles had many of these shirts.
Fair enough. I was thinking about the quote from A brief history of the "Hawaiian Aloha Shirt"
With the birth of Rayon in the mid 1920’s, the dazzlingly colored and tropically decorated Hawaiian-Print Aloha shirt became a staple souvenir of cruise ship tourists.
but you're right. From the same page comes
He [Chinese merchant, Mr. Ellery Chun, owner of King-Smith Clothiers and dry goods] and his sister, Ethel Chun Lum, fabricated the first brightly colored, floral, short-sleeved shirt from left-over kimono fabric.
I wonder what some of those shirts are worth... if you can find them.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:15 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
FWIW, Ellery and Ethel Chun were my paternal grandmother's brother and sister.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.