Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popping the question - advice please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Wow I never thought about the danger of a sunset or starlight proposal. I will be nervous enough getting through TSA screening without her knowing. Although I suspect she knows everything before I do....

I will heed your warning and get it done quickly. I am already nervous and it's months away....

Here's the key in terms of carrying the ring until it's on her finger. Have it in your pocket at all times--including when you go through security. It shouldn't set off the x-ray machine because it is such a negligible amount of metal. After all, if wedding rings set off the machine, they'd make everybody take off the ones they have worn for years before going through the machine. So keep it in your pocket at all times and propose the first night you get there. You may be very tired, but you want that ring on her finger ASAP (for safety's sake). I remember it was like pulling teeth to get my now-wife to go down to the beach at 9:00 p.m. our first night (which was really like 1:00 a.m. our time). But I insisted and it was for the best.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:22 am

Smile Ditto on the "be careful" part

Originally Posted by ChicagoBound
My only advice comes from my jeweler:

If you are going to propose on a beach, be really, really, really careful when handling the ring. Get it on her finger as soon as possible. Dropping a ring in the sand (especially at night) is a very bad thing. You don't want to lose a ring you just paid thousands of dollars for.

For what it's worth, I proposed to my now-wife on the beach at the Four Seasons in Maui. It was great. If I had to do it over again, the only thing I'd do differently was get down on one knee. I still get grief about that and it was 6 years ago.
Last year on Lanai we met a guy who has found several very expensive diamond rings buried in the sand at the beach at Manele Bay. He goes there at low tide with a metal detector... So if even if you don't drop it during the proposal, if the ring does not fit exactly, don't wear it to the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.