Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Vacation Next Feb or Mar?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: No More Loyalty
Hawaii Vacation Next Feb or Mar?

I'm putting together a vacation to Hawaii for next February or March. In search through prior posts, it seems that spring break crowds begin arriving in mid-March. But I've noticed higher prices at some properties in the second half of February.

Any thoughts at to what is happening then or any suggestions on the best 10 days in the Feb/Mar time frame? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We just got back in March and it was extremely crowded. Every time we have gone over in March or April it has been very busy. We were always running off looking for a nice, quiet place. We were on Oahu and Maui and at 4 different hotels on different parts of the islands and not one place we went to was calm. I have never been in February so I can't comment on that.

Good luck with your planning. I just booked my September trip to go back over to Maui.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
February and March are just busy travel periods in general. February not so much, but Hawai'i's weather still does a attact a good deal of visitors from the Northeast and Midwest. Of course, the first half of February is the Pro Bowl, so avoid that span of time at all cost. March is pretty crowded as well, especially since, like you've noticed, you're arriving with the spring break crowds.

Is it hotel or airline costs that are high?

aloha
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
We just got back in March and it was extremely crowded. Every time we have gone over in March or April it has been very busy.
Thanks for the insight. Although they say it's never a bad time to visit Hawaii, "extremely crowded" doesn't stike me as relaxing. From what I hear, September is a nice, quiet shoulder season.

Last edited by Sirecca; Jul 10, 2004 at 12:47 pm Reason: Can't spell!
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Of course, the first half of February is the Pro Bowl, so avoid that span of time at all cost.
Oh, no, another major event to avoid!

Is it hotel or airline costs that are high?
Noticed generally higher hotel prices in the second of February vs. the first half. Maybe it's partially b/c the Pro Bowl is scheduled for Feb. 13 this year?

Thanks for the help....
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Oh, no, another major event to avoid!

Noticed generally higher hotel prices in the second of February vs. the first half. Maybe it's partially b/c the Pro Bowl is scheduled for Feb. 13 this year?

Thanks for the help....
Well it also depends on which island you're heading to. The Pro Bowl takes place on O`ahu and generally doesn't affect other islands in terms of occupancy. Hotel prices may be high now... I'd suggest just go with the dates that seem the cheapest and best for your plans (book a refundable rate) then keep checking as the date gets closer.

aloha
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:15 pm

We're going late next Feb due to the kids Winter Recess from school. As many northeast schools are off at this time, maybe that's the reason you are seeing higher rates.

OT- Can anyone tell me if we'll be able to do any whale watching in late Feb, or are they all gone by then? We are headed to Oahu and Kauai.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Late February is a great time to whale watch. We saw quite a few last March, but we were on Maui. I am not sure how many whales are around the two islands you are visiting.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:48 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
OT- Can anyone tell me if we'll be able to do any whale watching in late Feb, or are they all gone by then? We are headed to Oahu and Kauai.
The whales are around until the first of April (mostly stragglers at that point), so you should be in luck. I've only been to Maui and Molokai during whale season, but I'm pretty certain you'll have no problem finding whales or whale-watch outings on Kauai. Slippahs can likely fill you in on Oahu options, but I know most of my friends on Oahu head to Maui and Molokai when they want to see whales.

Here's a website on some the Kauai boat trips.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/activity/ksrwwd.htm
Old Jul 11, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maui County is your best bet for whale-watching, or else you may want to go on a chartered vessel on O`ahu (I've heard some good things about the Navatek -- the only boat that I rarely get seasick on). If you'd like to spot them from land, go out towards Makapu`u/Sandy's Beach side and you may be able to spot them with binoculars (you can also hike down to Makapu`u Point or the Tidepools area).

aloha
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwife
We're going late next Feb due to the kids Winter Recess from school. As many northeast schools are off at this time, maybe that's the reason you are seeing higher rates.
Hmm.... Maybe that large brood of yours is driving up the hotel prices.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Well it also depends on which island you're heading to. The Pro Bowl takes place on O`ahu and generally doesn't affect other islands in terms of occupancy.
Will be visiting Oahu and Maui. So, given the feedback, an early February visit to first Oahu and then Maui may be the best bet to avoid the spring break crowds, the Pro Bowl, and and the northeast school kids -- and still get to see the whales. Now, if I can just get 3 award tickets on Delta or American....
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Will be visiting Oahu and Maui. So, given the feedback, an early February visit to first Oahu and then Maui may be the best bet to avoid the spring break crowds, the Pro Bowl, and and the northeast school kids -- and still get to see the whales. Now, if I can just get 3 award tickets on Delta or American....
It's the entire week before the Pro Bowl that's the busy period (not just the Sunday of the Pro Bowl) because the players are in town for various events that take place. The Hula Bowl is a few weeks before the Pro Bowl on Maui, but that event probably isn't big enough to attract the amount of visitors as the ProBowl does. I'm surprised to hear the Pro Bowl (and Super Bowl) being a week later this year.

aloha
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Maui County is your best bet for whale-watching, or else you may want to go on a chartered vessel on O`ahu (I've heard some good things about the Navatek -- the only boat that I rarely get seasick on). If you'd like to spot them from land, go out towards Makapu`u/Sandy's Beach side and you may be able to spot them with binoculars (you can also hike down to Makapu`u Point or the Tidepools area).
Yeah, I think I've said this before, but Maui whale watching is different than the other islands. I've seen a lot, both from our own boat and bigger vessels like the Navateks (which I highly recommend for comfort and overall experience). Off O`ahu, the whales are in transit to Maui, so you will most likely see their backs, spouts, and a fluke or tail, if you are lucky. My favorite land viewing spot (other than my mother's house) is the Diamond Head lookouts by the lighthouse.

Off of Maui, the whales are loitering and more active, so you have a good chance at seeing different behaviors, such as fluke slaps and a full-on breach, which is simply a majestic sight. I spent one afternoon sitting on the lanai of my room at the Westin Maui watching a pod of whales offshore put on a classic show - doesn't get much better than that!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:08 am

Hmm.... Maybe that large brood of yours is driving up the hotel prices.

Doing our best to keep the Hawaiian economy in line....we're on hotel award stays!

Now, if I can just get 3 award tickets on Delta or American....
Actually, I just got 5 DL award tix about 2 weeks ago out of NY, and there has been some sporadic availability since then....just have a few flexible days and you may get lucky. AA to HNL from NY was VERY available as well, and I find as a rule that AA has better award availability to all destinations than DL does lately....but persistence paid off for me, and I'm sure it will for you.

And thanks all for the info on whale watching....the boat sounds like a good idea....we'll keep all this info in mind as the dates get closer.....thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.