Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Luau on Maui" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Luau on Maui" thread

We're headed to Kaanapali in a couple of weeks. We've been to Maui several times, but we've never done a Luau. We'll have a party of 6, so are there any good reasonably priced luaus nearby? Or do you know of any special discounts, that don't require listening to a time-share presentation.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I can only tell you NOT to do the one at the Hyatt Regency. While the entertainment was fine, the food was absolutely horrid.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Post in the Coupon Connection for any luau Entertainment certs from the Hawai`i Entertainment book. I'd give you mines, but I've already given all my Maui coupons away.

Good luck.

ALOHA
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I might have those coupons. E-mail me.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 2:09 pm

The Old Lahaina Luau and it's sister The feast at Lele are the two best Luau's on Maui. The food and entertainment are top notch at both.

The Old Lahaina Luau is larger and a bit less expensive (although not cheap) with the usual dinner buffet format.

The feast at Lele is much smaller and more upscale and serves the courses from all the Polynesian islands as that island's dances are performed.

Both also include an open bar.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally hate Luaus, but I will say I've been to most all of the commercial ones in Hawaii.

But have to agree with the above post. The best I've seen have been the Old Lahaina and Lele ones, with a preference to Old Lahaina. Here's an post I made last year on this:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've been to just about all of them and agree they are mostly all pretty ticky, tacky, touristy.

Can't stand those watered down things they pass off as Mai Tais and Blue Hawaii's, at most of 'em.

But they are loaded with some alcohol, which after about a dozen, does the trick for those attending to get blasted. Germaine’s and Paradise Cove (both Oahu) seem to get a younger set of customers, in my observations.

The best commercial luau I've experienced in the islands has been very recently on Maui at The Old Lahaina Luau.

It's still for tourists, but the quality of facilities and service are extremely high, IMHO. And they actually will mix you drinks to order from their full bars, unlimited, included in the price.

Next door is the real gem, however...Aloha Mixed Plate! Also open for dinner, this open air plate stand is owned by the same folks that run the luau. Go there for dinner and enjoy a great meal at a low price while enjoying the music drifting in from the luau, and you also get to watch the performers in their costumes as they dash across the beach to their changing room! Free entertainment!

And you might just run into Jimmy Buffett, who calls this place home while residing in Hawaii.

See photo under "Aloah Plate Lunch" in:

http://www.margaritaville.com/roadtr...i/hawaii7.html

You'll also find a link to Aloha Mixed Plate at the luau web site above.</font>
[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 07-29-2003).]
Old Jul 29, 2003, 1:59 pm

I was in Hawaii last week and overheard the Concierge say that the Old Lahaina Luau is sold out way in advance, so book ahead if possible.

The Hawaii Entertainment book doesn't offer any coupons for this luau.

I went two years ago and wasn't thrilled with the food, but it IS reputed to be the best luau on Maui.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:44 pm

We were in Maui in June. Although it might've been because we needed 15 seats....the Old Lahaina Luau told us they were booked for 3 weeks out

We got in at the Feast at Lele. It was VERY GOOD. However, had I been paying for it....I wouldn't have I'm glad I experienced it and all the food was very good -- but it's too much food and expensive (however, only a few bucks more than the Old Lahaina Luau).

Did that help? lol
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:12 pm

Another vote for Old Lahaina Luau. Having been to several luaus in Hawaii (due to living there and having frequent guests) the OLL is the most authentic (presenting real hula from Hawaii, explaning the history of hula, etc.), decent food (really, pretty good all things considered). The entertainers are well trained and very professional. We were able to get seats (for 4) with very little advanced notice - but we were flexible on dates/times of attendance.

I've also heard very good things about the Feast at Lele.

All luaus are a bit on the pricey side - $60-$70+ - IMHO.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
Best Luau on Maui

I will be staying in Waliea at the Renaissance and was wondering who has the best luau around the area. I herd that the Marriott next door has one. I have a car sp driving is not an issue.

Also, any good ideas for snorkle rentals near by (good weekly rate) and any good resturant tips? I plan on going to the crater and to Hana as well.

I am going next week and am excited - first time there.

Aloha!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, MR, AA
This one:

www.oldlahainaluau.com
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
You asked for the best, and Triple7 answered.
It is 30 miles each way from Wailea. 1 1/2 hour drive into Lahaina from Wailea, 1 hour back, these days, with the traffic at those times.
Buy your tix far in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:17 pm

My wife and I went to the Old LaHaina Luau on our honeymoon last Feb. We were told it was the most authentic in HI. Had a great time!! Definitely make sure you get there early and enjoy the unlimited booze.

For snorkel gear, we used Snorkel Bob's. They had tons of gear for every level and budget and you can return to any of their many different store locations.

If you are doing the Haleakala sunrise trip with or without the bike ride (we used Cruiser Phil's and highly recommend them!!) I recommend having breakfast afterward at the Moana Bakery & Cafe in Paia town (Cruiser Phil's stops there at the end of the ride).

The best dinner we had was at Jacques also in Paia Town. On our last day we had a late departing flight and decided to stop for dinner close to the airport.

Both restaurants had great food and were very inexpensive, both of which are hard to come by on Maui. See this link for info.

Lastly, several people told us to go to Mama's Fish House but we didn't make there.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
I've found that the Wailea Marriott Luau is spectacular. It seems more authentic and enjoyable than those in the Lahaina/K-pali areas. My family is in Kihei, so a 'trip' for us, is to go to a Luau on the K-pali side, but we enjoy the Marriott just as well.

Snorkel Bob's is OK, but why not buy your own and check it. A decent set is not terribly expensive, and, if you plan on returning to Maui (which most people always do ), you can reuse it.

Restaurants...so many to choose from now. Alexander's in Kihei is a great place for fish-n-chips. Stop by Rainbow Plaza further south on S. Kihei Road (Across from Kamaole Nalu at 2450 S. Kihei Rd), and, next to Whaler's is home to the best cinnamon rolls on the planet.

They're opening a Moose McGillycuddy's now, across from Kamaole Beach III. They have a Ruth's Chris now in Wailea at the main shopping mall there, where there is a nightly hula/firedance performance. Unfortunately, one of the best values on that side of the island closed, with the departure of Tony Roma's at Kukui mall, but I'll be curious to see what goes in now. The Safeway Mall off the Piilani highway has a number of decent restauraunts, and they have decent sushi in the Safeway itself.

Take a ride down, and enjoy a day at Makena Beach; while not my favorite (Kamaole II), it's a beautiful setting.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Last edited by mlsrar; Sep 28, 2006 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:00 pm
cwc

Any body been to feast at LeLe?? Heard great things about it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.