Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui - Starwood, Marriott, or Ritz Carlton

Old Feb 7, 03, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

First time poster!!

Wanted to get opinions for 5 nights on Maui. I am planning our honeymoon (October 2003) and have decided to go with the Lodge at Koele on Lani for 5 nights and the JW Ihilani (Marriott) for 7 nights on Oahu..but I want to use either Marriott, Starwood, or even AMEX points for the hotel on Maui. What would be your suggestions with those guidelines? Also keep in mind with Starwood, I could hopefully upgrade to a Suite with additional points.

Kapalua Bay Hotel and Villas (Starwood)
Westin Maui (Starwood)
Sheraton Maui (Starwood)
Ritz Carlton Maui (Marriott Points)
Marriott Maui (Marriott)
Renisasance (Marriott)

I also have AMEX points but not sure what they convert into.
Old Feb 7, 03, 5:31 pm

IMO without a doubt go with the Ritz-Carlton.

http://www.ritz-carlton.com/resorts/kapalua

Make sure when you make the Reservation at ALL of your hotels on your trip tell them you are on your Honeymoon. You might get your Suite when you arrive without having to use the points, but if you want a confirmed suite in advance you might want to think about using your points.

Also welcome to flyertalk!!

[This message has been edited by I LOVE EWR (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 03, 6:12 pm

CLT-With Marriott Rewards, you now also have the Wailea Marriott,an Outrigger resort on the Wailea side as it was just reflagged about a month ago. In fact, the Kaanapali property will be eventually closing as a hotel completely as it is becoming a total timeshare property as soon as renovations are completed (read lots of construction).

I think I would suggest the Sheraton Kaanapali, mostly because the other two hotels you are staying at (the Lodge and JW Marriott) are so remote, you may be ready for a little more action and the Sheraton Kaanapali is right next to Whaler's Village and 10 minutes from Lahaina, The majority of the rooms at the Westin are too small IMHO, but the location is also good. I agree w/EWR that the Ritz is the nicest of the lot but too much further removed from activity.

[This message has been edited by Leisuremiles (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 8, 03, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not like the Ritz Carlton at all. It is a group hotel(award groups). Up in the middle of nowhere, and pretty far back from the beach. The beach is chilly, windy and has heavy waves at least during part of the year. Car is a must, and the parking charge was significient.

A premium view is one of the golf fairway.

The staff, when you could find one, had attitude.

The Westin Maui is a kid place. The hotel is very large for the piece of land it is on, and there are a lot of children in the pool. The pool is spectacular.

The Shearton has the best piece of realestate in Maui. Request a beach front. It sits on black rock, and overlooks the ocean. You can walk to a lot of activities, but still probably need a car. They did not charge me for parking when I was there.
Old Feb 8, 03, 8:50 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Welcome to Flyertalk CLT Traveler

I feel a much better answer to your question could be found by going to the Flyertalk Miles Forum and searching for information on the various hotels in the Marriott, Starwood forums.

There is a large amount of information present on the properties (and others in HI) which will be priceless in helping you decide which hotel fits your needs.

Just as an FYI if you do not know where the search function is, once you are in a forum look for the lowercase "search" which is in the upper right hand corner of the page.

good hunting.

edited for spelling.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 02-09-2003).]
Old Feb 10, 03, 2:42 am

We've just got back from Maui and stayed at the Sheraton. We were concerned before we went that it would be a little too loud and busy, but we definitely made the right choice IMHO. We also checked out the Westin, the Kapalua Bay and drove pastr the Ritz Carlton, which is near the Kapalua.

Both the RC and the Kapalua were too remote for us. Westin was on the same beach as the Sheraton but there were more kids and it's in the middle of the beach, whereas the Sheraton is right at the end. It's a 5 minute walk down to some great restaurants in Whalers Village.
Old Feb 24, 03, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
We have dabbled with the same question. I have many thoughts. We spent our honeymoon at the Fairmont Kea Lani (5 nights) in August/September 2001. It was actually a paid stay, then we used points for 5 nights at the Kauai Marriott.

The Kea Lani was hands down far superior IMHO to the Kauai Marriott - which is surprising given the "ratings" that Conde Nast, Travel and Leisure, etc. give. Anyway - if you are truly looking to use points the Kea Lani won't work, but if you are willing to spend some $ in Maui then stay there. I also hear the Four Seasons is fantastic - we visited since its right next to the Fairmont. The Fairmont has the 5th night free anyways, so its a bit cheaper - the best part is that all the Kea Lani rooms are Suites.

Now back to your question. We are headed to Hawaii again in May - sort of a funny-timed re-visit to Hawaii. Our original plans were to go to Lanai using SPG points. As a point of reference, we have about 140,000 SPG points and 270,000 Marriott points.

I was heavily, heavily biased at one point to go to Lanai - either the Lodge or Manele Bay (we'd do the Bay - more to do - more "us"). I don't know how to post links...still learning the ropes...but check out the thread in the Starwood forum of FlyerTalk Miles entitled: Program Redemption Changes to Category 5 & 6 for 2003 . Both of the Lanai properties have moved to Cat 5 for SPG - which means it will take 12,000 - 16,000 pts/night to redeem. This is big for me, but not for you, since you are going in the second half of the year. There would be a "cheap" rate if you went during the 1st half. I guess the point here is that at a minimum, 5 nights in Lanai using SPG would be 48,000 points.

So what are we doing? Right now we have plans to stay at the Ritz Carlton. We are blowing all of our Marriott points and staying 7 nights for 250,000 Marriott points. I'm not sure that its the best use of the mileage (could get 2 weeks at pretty much any other Marriott for that amount of points) but we truly believe that the true "Luxury" resorts are worth that much more than the regular Maui Marriott, Kauai Marriott, Renaissance, etc.

That said - who knows, we may change again - I actually had Lanai booked, but what I failed to mention is that Lanai is a lot harder to get to from the East coast - extra connection - especially when are using airline miles. So we are going to Maui only via one connection on American.

I am not too familiar with the other Starwood properties except that they are in Lahaina, I think. Its a neat area but we would rather visit. For what its worth, I do agree with others that the Ritz location is "inferior" to other island locations - especially since we don't golf...

So does anyone else have any other thoughts on this? We can stay on Lanai for, with the rebate mentioned in the other thread, for 7 nights it could be 51,000 SPG points - versus 250,000 Marriott points for the Ritz. I think we just prefer Maui instead of Lanai. So I'm hopefully not stomping on the CLT Traveler post, but am hoping for more responses.

Thanks,
EC Traveler
Old Mar 19, 03, 2:24 pm

I don't want to tell you what to do for your honeymoon, but that is a really bad way to use your points. 250K points can get you 120K skymiles, 7 night stay at a cat 6 Marriott hotel, a 25% off hertz cert ans 100 minue phone card. I think the package is a #087.

And besides I've been to both the Maui Marriott and the Ritz, and while the Ritz is more "luxurious" the Marriott is by far a better spot for honeymooners. The Kaanapali beach area is fantastic. The Marriott has a beautiful beach walkway, to many of the other great resorts, and also a ton of great restuarants, including the whaler's village, which is 1/4 mile away. You are also, about a 1/4 from famous Front St. with many great eateries and more shops. The pool at the Marriott is one of the best in Hawaii.

In my opinion, I would really rethink using the points in the fashion you're suggested. Not only are you not getting the best value from your points, in my opinion your are choosing the wrong resort.

Regards.
Joe
Old Mar 19, 03, 2:39 pm

Also forgot to mention, Amex points convert 1 to 1 with Marriott rewards.

Another comment. I would choose the Marriott Kauai over the Ritz. I've been there twice, and it is were not for the lack of "activity" the area has, I might prefer it to Maui.

I'm using my 250K this way;
* Bought coach tickets to Maui and upgrading to 1st class with the 120K points from the 087 cert. (you & your honey could fly 1st class for th 120K, that's a nice way to start a honeymoon, I must say)

* Sold the 7 day cat 6 cert that came with the package on ebay for $1675. That covered the cost of 5 days oceanview hotel at Maui Marriott, so the room didn't cost me a thing, but I got all the reward points (13 to 1, when using Marriott Visa) You could use the 7 day cert at Maui Marriott.

* The rental car cert saved me about $80 off of the best rate I could get

* the free 100 minute phone card is perfect for my 10 day period.

So to put it into perspective, if you used the points the way I do, you would get
* (2) 1st class tickets to Hawaii- easily a $7000 value from east coast

* (7) nights at Maui Marriott (or any other Marriott hotel in Hawaii - easily a value of $2100.

* value of rental car cert and phone card - approx $100

Or
your scenerio -
7 night at Ritz - probably a $2500 value.

Do your self a favor and research what I am telling, and I think you will come up with the same conclusion I have.

Regards.
Joe
Old Mar 19, 03, 5:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Hi CLT Traveler, welcome to FlyerTalk. I just saw your post today so it may be too late, but if your plans aren't firm and you haven't done so already, I suggest you do a search on "Maui" and "Hawaii" over in the Starwood forum. There is always lots of discussion about the Hawaii properties and you'll find a wealth of information about each of the Starwood hotels you're considering.

Also, if you end up using Starpoints for your award nights on Maui, given that you want to do 5 nights I would suggest using one of SPG's "Nights & Flights" awards that would cost you 70,000 points for a package that includes 5 nights in a category 4 hotel (Westin & Sheraton Maui would qualify) in addition to 50,000 frequent flyer miles deposited into the program of your choice. In my view, it's the best award Starwood offers in terms of value for points used. If this isn't clear or you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to ask or e-mail me.

Congratulations on your marriage & good luck on your trip!
Old May 1, 03, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I took the first five nights of my honeymoon at Renaissance Wailea. IMHO, this was a perfect honeymoon resort. It is small, elegant, quiet, and beautifully maintained. Virtually everyone else I saw at the hotel was a couple - including many honeymooners. The hotel has a small (but nice) pool and doesn't run major activities from its beach, so it is not as attractive to families. It's also too small for major conventions. That leaves the Renaissance to couples! We found it to be very intimate with excellent service.

We spent week #2 of our honeymoon at a larger family resort (HWV on the Big Island). I've been to the Ritz and Marriott Maui, and those seem more suited for bigger groups, golf outings, families, corporate, etc. - but any of them would be good for a honeymoon too. It's just that the Ren Wailea seemed SPECIFICALLY built for a honeymoon...
Old Nov 6, 05, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Can anyone update this thread with some recent observations?

We are comparing the Ritz-Carlton @ $250/nt vs. the Sheraton Kaanapali at 10K SPG pts per night. I am not sure if that is a good use of points as the rooms at the Sheraton run $255/nt.

Leaning towards the Sheraton, given the stellar (albeit old) reviews...
Old Nov 6, 05, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can anyone update this thread with some recent observations?

We are comparing the Ritz-Carlton @ $250/nt vs. the Sheraton Kaanapali at 10K SPG pts per night. I am not sure if that is a good use of points as the rooms at the Sheraton run $255/nt.

Leaning towards the Sheraton, given the stellar (albeit old) reviews...
If it were me, I'd probably end up paying for the nights and keeping the points. Have you looked for the 35% off discounts SPG has for Hawaii hotels?
Old Nov 7, 05, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by slippahs
If it were me, I'd probably end up paying for the nights and keeping the points. Have you looked for the 35% off discounts SPG has for Hawaii hotels?
Yes, but the FT link doesn't take me to discounted rates, only the rack rates. And nobody pays rack.
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:46 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, but the FT link doesn't take me to discounted rates, only the rack rates. And nobody pays rack.
So go to spg.com... depending on your travel dates, there are a bunch of Maui offers. Here's the 35% one - but you should check the others. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...omoCode=R35WEB

Search this Thread
Search Engine: