Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My Two Cents

I think the choice for islands would be based on the OP's preference for a resort vacation vs. an adventure trip. If the OP wanted to do the resort thing, the best island combo would be O'ahu and Maui.

For adventure, the best combo is Kaua'i and the Big Island. However, being their first trip to the Islands, I would suggest either squeezing in 1.5 days in Oahu, or extending the trip 1-2 days to accomodate a "hi-light" tour - giving the OP a chance to visit the Arizona Memorial, Waikiki, The Bishop Museum (recommended if time), or a photo tour of some of downtown's historic buildings and palaces.

I am a believer in first-timers hitting the hi-lights on the islands, then returning for more in depth stays to savor more activities (once you have a taste, you will want to go back for more). That can mean as little as 3 full days on some islands to get a 'taste'.

If you are visiting the Big Island and want a beginner's snorkel spot, Kahalu'u and Honaunau are superior to Haunama Bay, which I find way too crowded and damaged.

I also find that well timed inter-island flights do not spoil an entire day. If the trip could be extended to 12 days, here is how I would break it down...

Day 1 - Arrive from mainland, transfer to Lihue
Day 2 - tour Waimea Canyon, Kalalau Lookout, Wailua and Opaeka'a Falls
Day 3 - tour Kaua'i north shore, including Hanalei and Kalalau Trail
Day 4 - morning spouting horn and botanical gardens, balance is rest day, dining, shopping
Day 5 - early morning transfer to Kona, afternoon snorkeling on BI
Day 6 - northbound drive via Kamuela to see windward sights including Waipio Valley lookout, Akaka and Rainbow Falls, Hilo and then after early dinner take Saddle Rd to stop at Mauna Kea visitor's center for stargaze before returning to leeward side hotel
Day 7 - snorkel trip via Four Winds to Capt Cook/Kealakekua Bay then afternoon drive to South Point for Green Sand Beach hike
Day 8 - day trip to Volcano Nat'l Park
Day 9 - rest day, dining, shopping
Day 10 - morning transfer to O'ahu, Arizona Memorial, evening at leisure
Day 11 - round-the-island tour including North Shore, Halona Blowhole, Haunama Bay snorkel
Day 12 - optional Bishop Museum, photo tour of State Capital building, Kamehameha Statue, 'Iolani Palace, shopping, late evening flight to mainland

My sample itinerary has alot to do, might be abit tiring for some, but hits many of the hi-lights and gives the first time visitor enough of a feel for the islands to decide on which they want to return to and see more in depth.

Remember, you could spend an entire week on any one of the islands and still not see everything. That's why I like the first trips to be more of a 'survey', followed by more in-depth visits the next time.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:06 pm

Which Island??

In early December, I will be visiting a friend doing a post-doc in Honolulu. I'll be in Hawaii for two weeks total (arrive 1-Dec and leave 15-Dec). We plan to travel to another island for about 5 days (over the middle weekend of my trip).

We are graduate students (well, she'll be a post-doc) in our late 20s. Lounging all day on the beach is not a high priority (and I can get lots of beaching in in Oahu). Relative low cost is better, but not the deciding factor. We'd be able to rent a car. It will be my first time in Hawaii and my friend will not likely have traveled to many of the islands (she's only starting her position in April).

With that in mind, could you suggest an island?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You can find low (by HI standards) cost options on just about all of the islands, although I suspect Lanai might be tricky. Look at what each island has to offer, and determine which is most intersting to you. Then, we can suggest places to stay.

Priceline might be a suitable and economical option for you.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Everyone will have a different opinion but I'd have to help you narrow it down to Kauai or the big island for you. I don't want to say one or the other exactly so do some study on each and see what's best for you.

Maui I have often termed as "honeymoon central" and the way I stayed and what I did was not cheap but could easily be done cheaper then how I stay. So I would not look at Maui first, unless you want it to me a honeymoon . Oahu you say you'll be on it for a while. So to me it's between Kauai and the big island.

Personally, I'd have to say that Kauai is more of my preference but you could probably do the big island cheaper (and I spend more time on the big island then Kauai so that might have something to do with my opinion as I don't get to Kauai as often as I want). I'll qualify that by saying, I spend more $$ on Kauai then I do on the big island. If you do your homemwork I'm sure you could find Kauai on a budget to be more then acceptable. But each island is different so you gotta figure out which one suits you folks then ask about that island.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:44 am

I would vote Big Island. if lounging at the beach is not your priority you can do a day hiking in the volcano national park. My other favorite, although this was a little expensive, was the trip up to the top of Mauna Kea the old volcano / mountain that is now one of the top astronomical observation points. Was really spectacular. We took a guided trip that was costly. Its sort of a hairy drive if you go yourself and i don't know how far you are allowed to go by yourself (on top of that some rental car agreements have restrictions)
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: HA PP, Avis First
big island to do's

Here are links to two things on the big island-

1. See lava at Kilauea, http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea - If you go at dusk (bring binoculars, flashlight and water), you will see the orange lava. Going during the day you will see steam (when lava hits the water). Walking on the old lava flows is precarious and dangerous (sharp rocks) - wear gym shoes. Safe paths will be identifed by the US Forest Service. Volcano info center - 985-6010

2. Visit Mauna Kea observatory (ONIZUKA CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMY) - http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/ each evening, volunteers set up telescopes for visitors to see stars/planets. Visitor information center: Altitude: 9,300 ft.

International observatories: Altitude: 13,000 ft (bring winter clothes, it gets snow in January). The observatories here are not open to public, only scientists use these telescopes. If you drive to top, you will need a 4wheel drive vehicle. Check with your rental car company about driving on Saddle Road to visit the Observatories. If you can't there are tour vans that can take you to the top.
Old May 20, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL SM, HH Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
3 Islands, Which Order?

We are planning a family vacation to Hawaii for summer 2008. We are planning to stay 13 to 15 nights. Originally we were going to visit 4 islands, but now we're re-thinking that that might mean too much time in airports waiting for interisland flights.

So, we are back to Oahu, Big Island, and Maui (Kaui didn't make the cut ). We plan to use AXON awards to stay 4 nights at HHV and 4 nights at HWV, 1 night at Volcano House on the Big Island, and 4 to 6 nights at the Westin Maui since I am SPG Platinum OR we might try Grand Wailea if I can get over the price.

What order should we visit the islands? I am thinking Oahu will be first since we will be flying into HNL which will be an all day affair from Connecticut.

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 20, 2007, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Oahu is always a good island to start off with and it works better since if you have to fly back through Oahu for your return flight, you can work in the connection without an overnight.

I don't think it really matters from there. I would really pick islands based on what flight schedules you can get it on the non-stop flights.

You may also want to create an open-jaw flight to Hawaii (e.g., fly into OGG, depart from HNL and then work in a OGG-KOA-HNL flight in there). That may save one interisland flight from the itinerary.
Old May 20, 2007, 4:48 pm

we just did an open-jaw flight this December w/kids and have to agree about trying to cut down on inter-island flights. You really don't realize how the flight cuts down on a day's activity. We also did the AXON at HWV which was very nice for our first 4 days on Big Island. We then drove over to VNP spent the afternoon and next day exploring before having a late afternoon flight from Hilo to LIH (went to Big Island and Kauai -- unf. Maui wasn't an option since we were using ff tickets and this was over Xmas -- we're also from CT.. flight over wasn't a problem but coming back the first few days back were a bit of a problem). You might want to consider flying into KOA and then have flights to OGG and leave from HNL. My only suggestion would also be to look into staying at a place other than Volcano House. Though it's the only "place" at VNP (other than KMC) it really only takes less than 10 mins to get from one of the many local "lodgings" to get to VNP and we weren't really that impressed w/VH.
Have fun planning. It's an awesome trip (we're counting down the months until we return again this December and planning on returning again either this summer or next).
Old May 22, 2007, 12:46 pm

Definitely start on Oahu. Especially since you’ll spend an entire day traveling. It would be a shame to land on Oahu and have to board *another* flight. Also look into the open jaw. I’m flying into HNL, but out of KOA when I head out this summer. To save on flights and time just start on Oahu and work you way east – HNL, OGG, KOA – this way you don’t have to spend extra time connecting between islands. Each flight should only be about 35minutes.
I thought about the Wailea, but couldn’t get over the price. I’m a first class traveler on a coach class budget .
Old May 23, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Traveling with kids might make it different, but I've always liked the idea of doing all the traveling in one day, and I think it's easier than when you have the overnight flight home. So last year and this year we fly in from the midwest (ORD or MSP) around 3PM and then connect to WP to JHM (Kapalua)...this way you're in before the night is over...get settled, get some dinner and go to bed early (since you're tired after 11+ hours of traveling). It's always seemed to us that less time is wasted. We connected through HNL from KOA on the way home last year, and thought it made the red eye a little rougher, so this year we are finishing on Oahu. Obviously a moot point if you fly home from OGG or KOA, but we've used awards, and I refuse to do the 757 to Hawaii!

That said, I think the most important thing is making all the interisland flights nonstop. We had to go JHM-HNL-ITO and that was a pain...so much wasted time. You think it will be easy because the flights are short, but it's a pain...that's why I like to do the connection after an 8h flight...at that point, waiting an hour for a 30min flight is no big deal!
Old May 24, 2007, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Start on Oahu...your expectations will be too high if you start elsewhere.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Start on Oahu...your expectations will be too high if you start elsewhere.
I kind of feel like that too :-)
Also why I wanted to take my inlaws to the Big Island before Kauai, but room availability didn't work that way. I think the first few days on the Big Island will feel like a desert to them after Kauai, but then we will go Hilo side and its lots greener there.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Are you truly set on doing 3 Islands? My wife and I will be making our 6th trip to Hawaii this summer. We recently became a family of 3 and it will be our 1 year old daughter’s first trip to Hawaii. Our trips are typically 11 to 13 nights. Our first trip was short on Oahu and tacked on to the end of my business trip. On our second trip we did 3 Islands (Maui, Big Island, and Kauai). We found we lost way too much time on Inter-island travel. On our third trip we did Two Islands (Kauai and Oahu) and that worked out much better. Fourth and Fifth trips we have stuck to one Island (Maui or Big Island) and just split our time between different parts of the island. We have liked that best of all since we maximize the amount of time spent on vacation and minimize pure travel time. It is easy to plan some nice driving itineraries between different parts of island where you really don't feel like your losing time to transit. Inter-island travel always feels like lost time to us. If you're trying to do all of your lodging on points this strategy may be hard to execute. We usually wind up splitting our time between a hotel and a vacation rental. Just offering another perspective to consider…

If you do stick with the three island itinerary, I would second the recommendation to go with an open jaw itinerary which would allow you to cut down to only two (hopefully direct) inter-island segments. OGG and HNL have the most flight options from the mainland. So perhaps do the Big Island in the middle of your stay. Regardless of what you do, it is very hard not to have a good time in Hawaii.

--Jon

P.S. Sixth trip will also be one island (Kauai) for 12 nights (7 Nights at the Marriott and 5 Nights at a TBD Vacation Rental in Princeville).

Last edited by Jon Maiman; May 24, 2007 at 11:21 am
Old May 25, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I would finish up on Maui. For me it is the best of the islands. Oahu should be first and get yourself out of Waikiki or you will end up thinking that Oahu is one big city, which it's not. The rest of the island is beautiful. The beaches on Oahu blow away the other islands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.