FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Consolidated "Security, wait times, questions/answers, etc. @ Hawaii airports" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/284313-consolidated-security-wait-times-questions-answers-etc-hawaii-airports-thread.html)

jerseyfinn Mar 23, 2003 1:09 pm

Consolidated "Security, wait times, questions/answers, etc. @ Hawaii airports" thread

We've just returned from 2 weeks in Maui and we are there when the security level is raised to Orange. We find OGG to be well-organized with minimal delays, even at this heightened level of security.

After talking to a lot of folks in Maui, it seems that the biggest change at OGG is that the traffic flow into the airport is restricted to one lane only. All cars are subject to random search. This could be a potential problem depending upon what time or which day one is departing.

We ourselves depart on a Friday evening (which folks at the Dollar car rental tell us is not an especially hectic evening).

We arrive 3 hours in advance of our 10:20PM flight and I follow our usual routine of driving to departures and unloading our luggage curbside so that I can return the car while my wife and son take the bags through the agricultural screening machines. I then meet them in the check-in que.

The airport car line is small during our departure night and most cars are waived through to the terminal while a random number are pulled over for a search. We experience no delays here. ( I am told that even the car rental shuttle buses are subject to random stop, but did not see or experience this)

Lines at the passenger security check points are long, but they move quickly as the security checks divide into 3 well-organized ques. The TSA folks are throrough but well organized.

Be prepared and put all metal & keys into your carry on or into trays, have laptops out of the case and ready to place into trays etc. If your shoes have metal gromets it might be faster to take them off and put them in a tray to speed up the metal screening. All of this made the process flow pretty quickly around us.

People there tell us your experience will vary according to the airline as some airlines have more flights and longer ques as a result. ( we flew Delta to LAX & the security que took 15 minutes).

So just some insight from personal experience at OGG during an Orange alert. Best advice is to check with people at the hotels/airport/car rentals to see what others are experiencing at that time.

Also check Leisuremile's post with alternate directions for rental car return to OGG if things do become hectic at the main entrance.

OGG is indeed more hectic, but Hawaii is still a destination worthy of the time and travel. Good travel wishes to all.

Barry

ec967 Mar 23, 2003 8:42 pm

Our experience at OGG was similar at first (arrived home yesterday). We did a Hawaiian Air island hop to HNL to catch AA to the mainland. We were in lines (check-in and securtity) about 45 min. but it was very well organized and flowed well. Our nightmare began at the HA gate. We had a 3:35 flight and got to the gate at 12:30.
Flights before ours were delayed/cancelled to the point that HA just merged passengers--no assigned seats--if you were lucky enough to get in the line first you goton a flight.
So it became a pax free for all. They changed our gate 4 times--mobs of people running back and forth to try and get a seat.
By the time we got out it was 5:00. After we landedin HNL we had to change terminals. We should have missed our 5:50 AA connection, but they held the flight for us (after insisting they couldn't--another long story)and we sprinted in. I hear HA filed Chapter 11--imagine that (!). Just make sure you have PLENTY of time for your island hop if flying HA.

ckavenir Mar 26, 2003 4:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerseyfinn:
I then meet them in the check-in que.
People there tell us your experience will vary according to the airline as some airlines have more flights and longer ques as a result.
</font>
I guess you're not British, or French for that matter because queue is spelled like this: QUEUE and QUEUES.
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttravel_forum/wink.gif

kaiman Jul 18, 2004 12:33 pm

LIH-HNL-DEN do you have to go through TSA security in HNL?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I could not find the airport forum. Will be traveling from LIH to HNL onto DEN. Do we have to go through the TSA security again in HNL to get to the gate for connection to DEN ? Thanks in advance

cblaisd Jul 18, 2004 12:48 pm

Short answer is generally, no.

Much more detailed answers can be found in the Hawaii or Hawaii Airlines forum.

I'm moving this to the former, where there is much discussion of this very issue. Take a look at the "sticky" that top of the page in that forum.

Chuck
aka cblaisd
Moderator, United

slippahs Jul 18, 2004 12:55 pm

This thread will help you re: connecting at HNL:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284629

aloha

flyupfront Nov 20, 2005 12:00 pm

Honolulu Security

I haven't done this in a while and so I can't remember. :)

Transferring from interisland flight to AA mainland flight at HNL, do I have to leave security? Seems like we take a wiki wiki train but don't remember if that stays "inside the secure area" or not.

KonaHi Nov 20, 2005 12:17 pm

You can either walk (a rather long ways), or take a bus, all airside.

slippahs Nov 20, 2005 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfront
I haven't done this in a while and so I can't remember. :)

Transferring from interisland flight to AA mainland flight at HNL, do I have to leave security? Seems like we take a wiki wiki train but don't remember if that stays "inside the secure area" or not.

You will not have to leave security. Follow the signs that say "Domestic Flights" or the Gates sign. You will have to pass through an agricultural checkpoint, but that's just to make sure you're not taking any prohibited ag. items to the Mainland. If you do take the WikiWiki shuttle, it will not leave the secured area.

cblaisd Nov 20, 2005 6:16 pm

There's a decent terminal map here:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/m...inal%20map.pdf

Iirc, AA's gates are in 14-23.

It's a longer hike than it looks, though, on the map.

slippahs Nov 20, 2005 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
There's a decent terminal map here:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/m...inal%20map.pdf

Iirc, AA's gates are in 14-23.

It's a longer hike than it looks, though, on the map.

I agree. The hike is a somewhat long one. Remember, if you have Admiral's Club membership, the lounge is located near Gate 27.

flicpres Nov 22, 2005 8:48 pm

I just got back from Honolulu after doing a similar transfer from Maui. Take the Wiki wiki bus, which stays in the secure area. The driver dropped us off as close to Continental's President's club as was possible. Tell the driver just where you want to go and they are very accomodating. Enjoy.
Brian

REBushnell Feb 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Security Lines for Inter Island Travel

We'll be staying near Waimanalo Beach next July. As part of the trip, we're taking a flight to the Big Island. For a mid morning flight, how long should we plan to be in a security line?

Additional questions anyone can answer:

Approximate driving time from Waimanalo Beach to the airport, inexpensive places where we can park our rental car for 2 days, kid friendly eating places near the airport where we can fill up before the return trip to the mainland.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

slippahs Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm

More to do with the Hawaii forum, so will move there.

--slippahs, Hawaii-based Airlines co-moderator

svenskaflicka Feb 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Welcome to FT. We usually get to the airport about 1 1/2 hours before and that's just to play it safe. We usually catch a 10-11AM flight.