Search

Consolidated "Renting cars on the Big Island" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by lance6
This is probably a silly question, but having never been to the Big Island, will a compact rental car make it up and around the island? I guess any car will be able to do it, I am just wondering if we need something with more horses to handle the hill grades.

We are planning on staying in Hilo and we want to see some lava flow at night (if they're flowin'). Not sure if we're going to go all the way up to the summit (s), but we'll probably try to do some sort of circle island tour.

Am I concerned over nothing?
If it doesn't seem like you're planning on heading up Mauna Kea, a compact car should be fine.

FWIW, I've edited your thread title to make it a bit more informative for others browsing the Hawaii forum.

--slippahs, Hawaii co-mod
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:57 pm

Unless you are driving up the summit of Mauna Kea, its just hilly around the perimeter, not mountainous. Rent a compact, save the money and spend it on one of the tour company trips up Mauna Kea so you can relax and enjoy it.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:40 am

We were upgraded to a minivan, but thought that a regular car would have
been fine for the island. We did not notice very many hilly climbs that a car could not have handled.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Thanks for the replies...

And thanks slippahs for editing da kine post.

A compact it is!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Can I rent an "island cruiser" on the Big Island?

Hawaii Locals:

Years ago on Maui, I knew them as "Maui Cruisers." Can I rent one on the Big Island?

I don't mind a few dents and dings, I am just looking for a cheap-ish rental.

Any websites would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:54 pm

A compact/mid-size worked fine on our three trips
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
no rentals to summits

All rental car contracts on the Big Island prohibit driving on the "saddle road" between the Kona side and the "saddle" between the volcano peaks.

You may drive up there from the Hilo side, and that road is well-made because the scientists drive up from Hilo.

Almost all other roads are just fine for any size car that will hold you and your stuff.

(Shh, don't tell National that I drove their minivan up from the Kona side a few years back.)

Note on fuel: Self-serve gas-pumping is prohibited in Hawaii. Some sort of environmental logic.

edit: Additional note; got asthma? got an infant? Either way, the saddle's altitude is not a good idea.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Go to www.konaweb.com and click on 'Visiting the Big Island'. After you register you can post your questions. Great folks. I've heard of a local car rental agency but I can't remember their name. I've always found Budget or Alamo cheaper than 'local' companies. Use a discount coupon & see if I'm right.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Not exactly what the original poster is looking for, but the main Big Island independent car rental agency is Harpers

http://www.harpershawaii.com/

They are indeed usually, but not always, more expensive than the others. They also do not have the prohibition that the "majors" do against driving Saddle Road.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
in a word, yes, you can rent a cruiser on the big island.

affordable rent-a-car is on palani road in kailua-kona, they will pick you up from the airport but i don't know that they have a website.

808-329-776

it's a cheap rental (dings come with the territory, but they have a few convertibles as well) and won't peg you as a tourist, if that matters to you.

(it's also worth checking the price at the chain places for the time you're planning to be in town...you just never know.)
Old May 1, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Note on fuel: Self-serve gas-pumping is prohibited in Hawaii. Some sort of environmental logic.
Huh?

Did I miss something? On the Big Island, drivers can pump their own gas at most stations. The only ones I saw that pumped for you were a few where driveoffs might be a problem. In fact on the Kona side the only station I know where they come out and pump for you is Patel's in Captain Cook (at the top of my street).
Old May 1, 2006, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
You're lucky enough to find a full-service gas station anywhere in Hawaii!

I always pump my own gas; it's def. not prohibited in Hawaii.
Old May 2, 2006, 2:53 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
A compact car is fine. Heck, when you get to the big island, you'll see a lot of 'em. Not everyone drives a humvee.
Old May 2, 2006, 3:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by slippahs
You're lucky enough to find a full-service gas station anywhere in Hawaii!

I always pump my own gas; it's def. not prohibited in Hawaii.
Interesting. Last two times I was there, "self serve" meant that an attendant had to start the pumping, then you could take the nozzle out when it clicked off. Topping off the tank was prohibited. Perhaps a seasonal thing, or rules have changed.
Old May 2, 2006, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
All rental car contracts on the Big Island prohibit driving on the "saddle road" between the Kona side and the "saddle" between the volcano peaks.
Not necessarily correct. Recent reports from BI visitors indicate the restriction is no longer stamped on rental contracts - only a prohibition on off-road use. The reports centered on rentals from Alamo and National, so I can't speak for Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc.

However, even with the restriction, plenty of visitors drive the entire length of Saddle Rd - however, I recommend first timers acquaint themselves with the 'culture' of this route before giving it a try. A AAA membership would help too, so in the event of a breakdown, one is not stuck with calling the rental company 'if' their contract prohibited driving the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.