Reload this Page >

Big Island: "South Kona-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea restaurants" Thread [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status.

The 2021 and onwards thread on this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2035765-favorite-restaurants-west-coast-big-island-hawaii.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 1:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Post your recommendations and questions concerning Big Island restaurants in the South Kohala-Kailua-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea areas

Last edited by cblaisd; May 29, 2007 at 2:02 am
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:35 pm

Recommend restaurants in Kailua Kona?

Will have a condo, so some meals prepared in. However, would love some recommendations. We are staying near Kailua Kona. We don't know that many places in town to eat at. On our trip in 2002, we stayed in Waikoloa and did eat at ROY'S (and got engaged there -- it was great and we will return again).

Anything you want to tell me about is great -- places for sunset, good bargains, seafood, casual, sushi -- open to all ideas.

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
The Kona Brewing Co. has great beer and excellent wood fired pizza.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
If you have a car, IMHO, I think the best restaurants on the BI are in Waimea. Many of them were started by former chefs from the Kohala resorts. Merrimans is not to be missed! Also, try Koa House Grill and Parker Ranch Grill.

In Kona, Quinns Almost by the Sea, is good food/good value. For cheap Mexican, some of the best Tacos I have ever had, Killer Tacos in the old industrial area...

------------------
Spreading Aloha around da world one trip at a time!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Penguinmoon:
If you have a car, IMHO, I think the best restaurants on the BI are in Waimea. ...

</font>

Utterly agree. And for those staying at the HWV, it's closer and a much more pleasant drive.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Penguinmoon:
For cheap Mexican, some of the best Tacos I have ever had, Killer Tacos in the old industrial area...

</font>

Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I like the portion size at the Big Island Grill (at the bottom of Henry Street (makai from WalMart) next to Aloha Gas).

I particularly like Kona Brewing's pizza and beer.

In Captain Cook area, the Manago Hotel is an interesting diversion. By the way, yes, I tried the pork chops and think mine are better, but that is a personal opinion.

For value, you can't beat the COSTCO hotdog and drink at $1.50 plus tax :-) They also have a nice chicken caesar salad at the food court. Also their sandwiches and salads in the back by the ribs :-)

I hear Denny's is a bargain but have not been there to see.

[This message has been edited by Lavarock7 (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Whatever you do, make sure you stop by the Mac Pie factory. OMG these pies are AWESOME!!! Tahitian vanilla - YUM!!

I wasn't too happy with Quinns (service wasnt all that great and the food - eh) and that's my last name too!!

We ate at quite a few of the restaurants along the drive there and most places were pretty tasty.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
See www.konaweb.com It is free to join and is kinda like FT. People sharing info on the BI and a lot of restaurant reviews. Oodles of Noodles, near Safeway, is very good but BYOB because they don't serve any alcohol. No corkage fee either. Cafe Pesto is excellent. Huggos is good for views & drinks. We were there 2 wks. ago and agree with you on Roy's. Awesome.

Also, check out Ebay for a seller by the name of hawaiisavers. He sells discount coupons. We used a couple and were happy. He is legit.
Phil
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:
Will have a condo, so some meals prepared in. However, would love some recommendations. We are staying near Kailua Kona. We don't know that many places in town to eat at. On our trip in 2002, we stayed in Waikoloa and did eat at ROY'S (and got engaged there -- it was great and we will return again).

Anything you want to tell me about is great -- places for sunset, good bargains, seafood, casual, sushi -- open to all ideas.

Thanks
</font>

[This message has been edited by philemer (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:19 am

Just returned Sunday 1/25, so info ain't too out of date.
In Kailua-Kona: Jameson's is a bit pricey but the food is excellent. Didn't get to beachconber's (old Charthouse).

Drysdale's #2 in Keauhou Shopping Center is likewise good & not so pricey; sports bar venue.

Tip o' the day: The Daylight Donuts shop in that center (Corner of Kamehameha III and Ali'i) produces GREAT sandwiches. They're open from about 6 am until early evening. Get some to take on a day trip or to the beach.

Not to be missed: Bamboo restaurant in Hawi (far north end of the BI). For a nice ride, use 190 out of K-K to Waimea, then west on 19 to 250 (just a few miles). 250 winds through the mountainous parts of Parker Ranch and is a lovely ride, ending in Hawi. Best hamburger (for lunch only) in the known universe. Dinner menu is pricier, but outstanding.

Need a great hot dog? Try Cuz'ns in the shopping area at the north end of Ali'i.

Curious, where is your Timeshare? we were one week in Holua resort at Mauna Loa, 2d at Kona Coast.

Bon voyage ...
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:43 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Oodles of Noodles, near Safeway, is very good but BYOB because they don't serve any alcohol.</font>
Wow! I've been eating at Oodles of Noodles several times a year since they opened and didn't know Amy gave up her liquor license a few months ago until reading this and confirming. That's really surprising because she had a pretty nice wine list and a full bar before.

FYI - Safeway's in the same center for anyone who wants to grab a bottle of wine before dinner.

ALadyNCal: Since you're staying in Kona, head to the Keei Cafe in Captain Cook one night. Decor is, um, late American plastic patio, but the food's great. You'll need reservations. Excellent banana bread down that way too at a deli. You'll see the sign. The chocolate banana is my favorite. They also sell some wonderful spreads - lillikoi is great on your breakfast breads. Not what you asked for, but there's also a massage school a little south of Kona, where I get massages for $25 an hour. You need reservations. If you want details feel free to email me.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited Feb 05, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Obviously to each their own, but C'mon burgers, hotdogs, pizza?!!??

Why did you leave the mainland, there is incredible/unique food on the Islands that one will not find elsewhere, explore a little, try something different.

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
“I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.”
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:46 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Hey, don't knock the pizza and other offerings at Kona Brewing Company Sweet Willie.

The beers are handcrafted and include a lilikoi-flavored beer and I don't think you can get them outside of Hawaii, Japan and California (and I've only seen a few of their beers here). They offer a beer tasting too where they bring you smallish glasses of all their beers.

They also have a lot of interesting pupus with macadamia nut pesto (can also get this on a pizza) and lots of stuff marinated in their beers or with taro oil and other local ingredients. Their veggies are just about all locally grown and they have a lot of interesting pizza toppings. This isn't Round Table - it's well worth eating at. Their pizzas are better than those at Cafe Pesto and far better than what you'd find in, oh, say Chicago.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:10 pm

When we stayed in Kona (we stayed in the resort Kona Villiage), there is a Luau (sp?). Although the food is not spectacular at the resort or luau, it is a great experience and a lot of fun (especially if you have young girls). It is only on Friday night and I believe it starts at 5 if you are not staying in the resort. It has a tour of the resort grounds and then you go to a table that probably has about 15 people. You see them take the pig out of the ground, and you eat from a buffet. I believe the price is 60 USD per person when not staying there. It is included when staying.

Have fun in Hawai'i!!!

Aloha
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
Hey, don't knock the pizza and other offerings at Kona Brewing Company Sweet Willie.</font>
The Kona Brewing Company also has live music. Last week the concert was Robert Cray and sometimes Hawaiian music/slack key, etc.

It is funny how some people pooh pooh the thought of pizza, yet eat pu pu's on the grass at a picnic (well, we call them a luau) they paid over $60 per person for. Makes you wonder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.