Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

FYI-According to the local media, due to the latest eruption of Kilauea on the Big Island,tourism on the Big Island has increased dramatically and currently car rentals and hotels are at a premium.

As most people book their hotel stays far in advance for Hawaii, I wanted to let everyone know that they should also book cars well in advance or risk going without. Inter-island flights to/from both Hilo and Kona are also quite tight, so be sure to make those reservations prior to your arrival.

[This message has been edited by Leisuremiles (edited 08-01-2002).]

---------------
Moderator Note: This thread has been closed and archived. If you are looking for the newest posts related to Madam Pele's 2014 flow, please see this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...4-forward.html Aloha, slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 20, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:41 am

If you want to see lava ...

Now would be a great time to visit the Big Island. Here are my photos taken from a helicopter and near the end of Chain of Craters Road. The breakout appeared out of nowhere just a few feet from where we were standing. It formed a river/pool of lava 60-80 feet wide in around 10-20 minutes on Monday afternoon, October 14th.

We also took some video (in Real format):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daveha...20breakout.ram

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 12-27-2002).]
Old Oct 18, 2002, 2:17 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Great shots! I'm still so mad at myself. We were there recently and didn't go see the flow. We've seen it before, but not like it's been.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Super snaps! Thanks.

Lava is a reminder that our planet is still just a youngster, geologically.

Plus it's great to watch our nation continue to grow!
Old Oct 19, 2002, 8:58 pm

I was just there a few months ago. How close to the end of Chain of the Crater road is the new flow? Has it perhaps covered more of the road? ie shortened it further?

Great pics!!
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:46 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Beautiful Pictures, I was there in the end of August but it was nothing like this. You really lucked out here
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:58 am

We did really get lucky. We visited twice, the first time was Thursday, October 10th, and there were "only" slowly oozing lava toes like those in the first three pictures I posted. On Monday, the surface flow, which is about a quarter mile from the road, had really picked up. It was generally more active, with faster and larger areas of oozing. Then, just before sunset, the large breakout started in front of us just as we were leaving to start the other marked trail to view the ocean entries. Needless to say, we delayed that hike and stayed to watch and take photographs and video. The lava has flowed over the road sometime in the last few months, but is was bit above the road last week.

The flows up higher on the volcano that I took pictures of from the helicopter and with my zoom lens from the end of the road were not visible at all on Thursday. The pilot said they weren't even there Monday morning when she flew her first tour of the day.

The ocean entries are where the lava emerges from lava tubes and flows into the ocean. From the air and the ground, you mostly just see the steam (as in my last two, blurry, photos). I could briefly see the lava though the steam from the air and the steam has an orange glow at night. If you stay in the areas marked as safe by the Park Service, the actual entry points are obscured from direct view by the points of the sea cliffs. A few people ignored the warning signs and went up to the edge for a better view. One guy who did this told me there were visible streams of lava pouring over the cliffs. The experts say these cliffs and lava benches are very unstable and unsafe so I didn't go there.

There are eruption updates, including many photos, available on the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory site.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Nov 8, 2002, 7:43 pm

If you enjoyed the lava photos ...

Here's some video (in Real format):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daveha...20breakout.ram
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:47 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
WOW is all I can say. I've never been to the big island and these were incredible. Thank you so much.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 2:42 pm

cruise ships get a spectacular view too, at night. They go back and forth once or twice.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 1:59 pm

Now may be an even better time to go than when I did because there are brand new ocean entries that you can safely view from close range. The USGS Kilauea update for today says:

The westernmost ocean entry, named the Lae`apuki lava delta, is going great guns this morning. The delta, now about 80 m wide along shore though still only 10-12 m beyond the sea cliff, is fed by several lava falls, some in tubes, some bare. The delta is actively widening as numerous spigots pour lava off the perimeter of the delta.

The West Lae`apuki entry (the "middle entry" of past updates) has 3-5 narrow lava falls dropping into the water. The falls wax and wane a bit; during the lulls, waves take away any delta formed during the waxing inflow.

Both Lae`apuki and West Lae`apuki entry areas are nicely seen from the visitor overlook at the end of the park's trail.

The two older active lava deltas are not safe to view up close, but the new one is (for now). This should provide some fantastic lava viewing and photographing opportunities. If you're going to be on the Big Island anytime soon, you should really try to go see this if you are in relatively good shape for the moderate hike across the lava fields along the path marked by the park rangers. Make sure to follow the park services recommendations about what to wear and bring.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 11-22-2002).]
Old Dec 2, 2002, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Now is a great time to go. I was there the day before Thanksgiving and the lava flow was absolutely fantastic. Like dhacker above, I did the short hike - a 20 minute or so walk over a marked trail from the end Chain of Craters Road. Go just before sunset, and after it is dark you can actually see the bright orange lava flowing into the sea. While I was there, I learned that you can really get up close and personal with the lava if you take the long (one hour or so each way) hike - straight out from the end of the road. However, this hike is listed as NOT RECOMMENDED by the Park Service, as you are returning over unmarked terrain at night. I would have done this another day but we were staying at the Hilton Waikoloa - all the way on the other side of the island, so returning another day was not feasible.

Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
While I was there, I learned that you can really get up close and personal with the lava if you take the long (one hour or so each way) hike - straight out from the end of the road. However, this hike is listed as NOT RECOMMENDED by the Park Service, as you are returning over unmarked terrain at night.</font>
The hikes required to get up close to the lava changes day-to-day, depending on which part of the flow is active. When I was there, the surface flows were active very close to the parking area at the end of the road, accessible via a well-marked path over older flows. For ANY of these hikes, you really do need a good flashlight for every person, extra batteries, and water to drink. Bring the flashlights no matter what time of day you go because you might just stay longer than you think. We were there for five hours one day and could easily have stayed for 5 more.

Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:29 pm

Great photos...
Old Dec 14, 2002, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Be careful. When I went in September we walked to about 10 feet from the lava.

It's very hot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.