Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Old May 25, 2004, 4:41 pm

Well, I got lucky again. Of course I hiked out to the flow three times and was patient. FTer Craz and a friend were lucky enough to be there too. A gushing breakout appeared out of nowhere a few feet from where we standing. Here's some HOT QuickTime video:

Start of breakout

Nice flow a few minutes later

More to follow after I figure out how to compress these clips without losing too much detail. If you have trouble viewing them, update your free QuickTime software.

Last edited by dhacker; May 25, 2004 at 9:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 25, 2004, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wowie! Good show!

it must have been pretty hot standing so close. I hope y'all were careful where you walked... I saw some red glow through a small crack near where the flow broke out. Would have given a new definition to 'hot feet'

I can't wait to visit this fall....I hope to see activity like this.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:17 pm

The lava has now reached the ocean for the first time since last summer:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html

0910 May 31
For the first time since early last July, lava is entering the ocean at Kilauea. The entry started yesterday afternoon or evening and remains active this morning, though the volume is tiny and the width of the entry piddling. The location is near the eastern end of the Wilipe`a lava delta, and the lava is supplied through the widening and quite active east prong of the Banana flow.

Let's back up. Both the west and east prongs of the Banana have been widening slowly for the past several days. Overnight, the west prong send lava onto the Wilipe`a delta farther west than any previous Banana lava had reached--in fact, west of the center of the Wilipe`a delta itself. But, viewers have been expecting the east prong to blossom, since it has been so active for so long, and yesterday's photographers were clustered there waiting for something to break loose. At 0745 yesterday, lava began cascading over the old sea cliff bounding the inland side of the Wilipe`a delta, but by 1000 lava was still some distance from the water. The betting was, however, that ocean entry would be soon.

Indeed, water was reached later that day or evening. Lava fed by the east prong forms several lobes on the surface of the delta within a 165-m-wide area, and, near the eastern end of that area, one stream of lava pours into the water. Much of the delta surface is covered with lava actively feeding breakouts, and it is likely that other entries will develop, though the current one is in a low area that will accept most lava on the delta.

No bench has yet started to form, and the interaction of water and lava was not explosive.

Up top, a far east prong of the Banana is actively gliding seaward and was an estimated 20-30 m from the top of the old sea cliff at 0700 this morning.

Farther up top, surface lava above Paliuli continues to make a pretty scene in darkness. The lava is channeled and mostly confined to the gentle slope between Pulama pali and Paliuli.

The eastern vents in the crater of Pu`u `O`o are incandescent this morning, namely East Pond Vent and January Vent. The other vents are apparently shrouded in fume or clouds.

A few small, low frequency earthquakes, and no noticeable tremor, are coming from Kilauea's summit. Tremor at Pu`u `O`o is at its typical moderate level. Otherwise, seismicity at Kilauea has been at a low level for the past 24 hours.

Tilt continues to inflate at a moderate rate at Pu`u `O`o. The inflation began early on May 27, took a brief respite late on May 28, but quickly returned and is continuing to climb at a steady pace. The tilt at Kilauea's summit, however, is staying quite flat.

Last edited by dhacker; Jun 1, 2004 at 9:05 am
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Here's a few pictures for ya from the HNL Advertiser of that lava hitting the ocean:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br01p.html
http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/01/news/art1a.jpg

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 1, 2004 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
lava for lazy people

We just got back and I will post more later. We did a full day around the Big Island ending at Kilauea. There were lava flows visible to the naked eye going down the hillside, the ranger had a telescope so we could get a better look. I was too tired and had only thongs so I couldn't walk to the lava but my husband did adn he said it was amazing-I'll have to wait until I have enough energy to dub the video tapes. It took 2.5 hours to get back to Kona at night and I am a very fast driver-very twisty road!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Names Withheld

A Matter of Degrees
Sunday 06.06.04 [4:35 am]

In preparation for company, I have been cleaning the house for the past couple of days. A friendr from Maui came by to look at real estate near by and also wanted to see my farm. Another friend also came down. Except for me, all names will be withheld for reasons soon to be obvious

After a brief tour and a cup of coffee, we were all three off on an adventure.

Recently, Madame Pele has been streaming lava down the pali and into the ocean. We went to investigate. We drove from Captain Cook along the southern route, past the entrance to the Volcano National Park and over to Pahoa to see some properties.

Many of the houses are quite nice, but right next door there might be a real shack. Some homes show pride of ownership, some LOOK like a shipwreck

We grabbed some dinner in Hilo and proceeded back to the park. Since we got there after dark, there was no one to collect our fees. Here I was prepared to buy a year’s pass too!

We skipped the standard tourist things like the observation area and the caldera and lava tube and went straight down to the end of Chain of Craters Road. By this time, many people had already left and we were able to pull into a slot right near the end of the parking area closest to the volcano.

We began our long hike. Parking is quite a bit further from the end of the road then previously, because of recent lava outbreaks (which actually cover the road and permanently disable it). One good way to determine what kind of viewing there is and how long until you get there, is to ask people you meet along the way.

The hike to the end of the trail took about half an hour or so. THEN, after the end of the marked trail, we ventured further towards the glow in the sky. The trek reminds me of a science fiction movie where the alien calls earthlings to the mother ship and we blindly follow. Parents were carrying their babies along the trip and that is something, which I DO NOT recommend. There are dangerous and harmful fumes in the area. Sulfuric and Hydrochloric acid fumes irritate the nasal passages. However, onward we went.

As we started the hike, it started to sprinkle; the rain getting heavier as we went. As we got to the end of the marked trail, I was drenched.

Once past the marked trail, the park service prefers you do not go, but they understand the drawing power of the ability to see new land being formed. The park service does notify you that you are on your own and issues enough warnings to scare most people, but yet, onward we continue. Because of the rain, I did not try to take many photos.

Once past the end of the marked trail, it is important to swing your flashlight beams away from in front of you and constantly look for glowing spots in your path. When the solid rock begins to get a sandy texture and you feel sudden warm air bursts, you may be closer to lava than you realize. I noticed that the front of my shirt was dry because of the heat and now the rain had stopped. This was my case. As I walked along and tried to be vigilant, someone noticed that I was standing inches away from a glowing crack in the earth. It appears I may have been a foot or two above 2,000-degree lava!!!!! The ledge I was standing on might give way and I could experience a really life changing event!

I quickly decided that I was close enough to the ever-present lava flows in the distance.

As is the custom, one of our lava-viewer regulars brought a bottle of gin, which all three of us had chipped in on. The gin is for Madame Pele and legend says it is her favorite beverage. You pour the beverage on the rocks just before she claims that part of the earth.

Our member of the group was ready to pour the gin on the rocks as we retreated. He poured it on the ground and some seeped into the earth where it was glowing.... Then, the gin caught fire! Who would have known how big the fireball would be! We about lost a member of our team, and on this point I do NOT jest! It was as if he had lit gasoline with a match. Flames danced out of the hole in the dark light and other people nearby were as surprised and we were. The flames remained for what seemed like 30 seconds. That was long enough for a few of us to think that the flame were permanent and perhaps started some type of chain reaction where the flames would be self-generating. They did not, but we were worried nonetheless!

We are not quite sure of the reason, but have suggested that either one of us still owes pennence to Pele for previous misdeeds, or she realized that brought 1 pint of the cheapest gin we could find...

After much driving and hiking I have no real photos of the event. One attendee says she has a photo of the fireball, but we won't know for a day or two. I decided that I was NOT going to stick around out there and quickly retreated to a safe distance. The whole way back I purposely told many people to be very very careful if the venture past the end of the marked trail.

In this case, I was warning people to avoid a fate worse then death!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Another nice article by MSNBC with pictures: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5429724/

If you go

GETTING THERE: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a two-to-three hour drive from Kailua-Kona, and an hour to 90 minutes from Hilo. The Big Island's main road runs around the island. Head south from either city on Route 11 to the park entrance.

TIPS: Bring water, food, sunscreen and lip balm. Wear a hat that won't blow off in the wind, extra socks and sturdy footwear.

ERUPTION HOT LINE: The park's hotline is regularly updated with weather and viewing conditions: (808) 985-6000 or www.nps.gov/havo.

HOURS: The park is open daily 24 hours a day. The visitors center, museum and art center are open daily during regular business hours. The $10 per vehicle pass is valid for seven days.

LODGING: Volcano House, (808) 967-7321 or www.volcanohousehotel.com; rates range from $50 to $225. Hale Ohia Cottages, (800) 455-3803 or www.haleohia.com; rates range from $95 to $130. Bed-and-breakfasts: www.stayhawaii.com.

SIDE TRIPS: Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, 20 minutes south of Kailua-Kona off Route 11, marks the site where ancient Hawaiians who broke laws sought refuge and received absolution from a priest; it was also a place of refuge for defeated warriors and noncombatants. Admission is $5 for a seven-day permit. South Point, the southernmost point of the United States and the first mooring site of the ancient Polynesians, is at the end of a 12-mile road off Route 11, about 90 minutes south of Kailua-Kona. The drive goes past huge power-producing windmills. Check out the huge “blowhole”—a hole in the rocks where the surf creates a geyser—and look for fishermen hauling their catches up the cliff with ropes.
aloha
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:04 pm

Thumbs up

We just flew home from the Big Island today. Hiking out to see the volcano was a real thrill. My husband and I ( out of shape 50+ year olds) and our 14 year old son were at the park on Sunday. From the end of the paved path where the ranger is located the hike took 45-50 min to get out where you could see the lava enter the ocean. I did not find it an easy stroll...I was wearing teva sandals instead of shoes, my mistake, and it was quite warm. We were out at the end of the trail about 5:30 and stayed until 6, having decided we didn't want to walk back in the dark. While we were walking back we noticed a breakout of lava up high on the hillside along with 4 or 5 smaller ones farther down. When we returned to the rangers area they had a telescope focused on the bigger breakout. It was so amazing to see. This had to be the highlight of my trip. We live not far from Mt. St. Helens in Washington and remember ash raining down on our town for hours. But the sight of the lava and the new land forming was worth every cent I spent to go to Hawaii. A true once in a lifetime experience.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:52 am

Just came back from our h-moon trip...spent some time at VNP & was truly amazed! We did 3 separate hikes to the lava, each time was a vastly different sight to see! The second night was by far the best...the lava was SO active. We were able to get close enough to touch it (although it was too hot for me to get less than 2ft away from it)...several other people crossed the Caution ropes too. It was moving at a speed of about 5mph...could hear the cracking sound, and see the oozing of the lava. Just amazing!
Old Aug 7, 2004, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Live video of vent:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam/

aloha
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:35 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Speaking of live lava webcams...

Well, we were NOT speaking of live lava webcams, but should have been...

It just came to my attention that this link http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam/index.htm will let you see the glow of the volcano

Their Disclaimer:

This panorama is a composite of three images from a research camera positioned on the north rim of Pu`u `O`o's crater. The images update every 5 minutes. At times, clouds and volcanic fume obscure visibility. The camera is subject to sporadic breakdown, and its remote location makes immediate repair impossible. Cameras can be where people should not. Pu`u `O`o is off-limits to the general public because of multiple and significant volcanic hazards.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:11 am

Lava from Kilauea flows into ocean from two new points

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid..._and_volcanoes
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
The Tours family hiked 1.5 miles across the lava (with Toddler Tours in a backpack) to view the Lava last Thursday. Amazing. Wonderful. We saw the lava "waterfall" into the ocean, but even more impressive (to us) was the much smaller hot breakout just a few feet away from us.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:38 pm

Lava viewable from Chain of Craters Road - No hiking required.

0555 February 24
The three ocean entries are performing well this morning, showing off for the Full Snow Moon. Visibility is not the best, however, owing to nasty vog that leaves visitors with mouths tasting of aluminum.

The East Lae`apuki entry is the largest, with at least four lava falls down the sea cliff visible in the distance from the Chain of Craters Road. Both the Ka`ili`ili and West Highcastle entries are relatively faint because of the vog.

On Pulama pali, the surface expression of the west branch has almost disappeared. Only a few small breakouts can be seen on the pali, though a few more dot the coastal flat. The east branch has one nice cascade down a steep pitch on the pali and a number of other breakouts, but overall it continues its decline that started several days ago.

The vog and mist obscure Pu`u `O`o and hide the incandescent vents some of the time. Breaks show that all the vents are incandescent but none is spattering--the first day in some time without any spattering.

The swarm of earthquakes under Kilauea's summit and adjacent regions continues well above normal background. No volcanic tremor is being recorded at the summit, however. The tremor is moderate to strong at Pu`u `O`o.

Pu`u `O`o's tilt continues its slow deflation. Uwekahuna's, however, glided downward about 2.5 microradians yesterday afternoon and evening, eventually flattening around midnight. This is the largest and sharpest drop at the summit in a month.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:51 pm

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html

Of course, if you do hike, you may see something spectacular, like this:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/updat..._DAS_large.jpg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.