Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Golf on the Big Island" thread

Old Jan 16, 02, 4:59 pm
eg8
Original Poster

I am making a trip to the Big Island in March and will be staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

I have 1 day for golf and want to play a true ocean resort course. I know the Waikoloa Beach Resort courses are regarded to be nice and they are disounted since I will be a guest. But I hear other courses such as Mauna Kea or Mauna Lani are better and worth the money (almost twice as much).

Any opinions?
Old Feb 13, 02, 5:07 pm
E

Not having played (or been to, for that matter) on the Big Island, but have already done my research for an upcoming trip in January, 2003...my choice would be:

1. Mauna Kea

2. Mauna Lani South

3. Waikoloa Kings Course

Playing ANY of the courses during TWILIGHT rates will significantly reduce greens fees...resort guest or not. Hope this little tip helps!

[This message has been edited by E (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old Feb 14, 02, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I have spent a fair amount of time (and money) playing golf on the Big Island. Three previous trips and another planned for November. If I had time to only play one course on the Big Island it would be, without a doubt, Mauna Kea. Only a few of the holes run right along the ocean, but it is one of the finest courses in the world. Number 3, may be the best par 3 in the world - 180 yards completely over ocean. Number 11, is a downhill par 3 that is fantastic also. The course also winds uphill so that you have some really great views of the coastline from several hundred feet above sealevel. Go to the Mauna Kea website (wwww.maunakearesort.com) to see more about the course. Also consider playing the sister course at Hapuna Beach Prince Resort. It is a target course designed by Arnold Palmer that will test the best of golfers. Unlike Mauna Kea, it is quite tight and requires a bit more discipline with the driver.

In fact, if you can spare the entire day for golf, play both courses. The clubhouses are 5 minutes apart by car. Get an early tee time at one course, have lunch and then play the other. I have done this a couple of times, you won't be disappointed.

If you want to play a course that is quite different from what you might expect on the Big Island, drive up to Wiamea and play the country club course there. It is open to the public and you would swear that you are in Scotland. The landscape is totally different than down on the coast; it is much cooler and will probably rain, but a fun course nonetheless.

Both the Mauna Kea and Hapuna have discounted rates (half price) after 2:00PM, but you will need to hustle to finish before dark (6:00 PM). Don't know if you have kids who play, but Mauna Kea and Hapuna have youth rates of (at least last summer) $20 or $25 per round.

Mauna Lani is a nice course and follows the coastline a bit more than either Mauna Kea or Hapuna. However, I would play Mauna Kea long before Mauna Lani. I have heard great things about Hualalalai (the Four Seasons Resort), but it is open only to members and hotel guests.

Hope this helps. Have a great time. I can't wait to get back.
Old Jun 4, 07, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Big Island Golf

I have time for one round while im on the big island, its been 16 years since my last trip to the big island so I'm looking for some assistance. Last time I was there I remember really enjoying Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani. I don't remember which course i played at Mauna Lani (Have there always been 2?) I know i played the short hole with the big rock in front of the green and I also played the long par 3 over the ocean. While looking recently it appears they are on separate courses.

In any event, if you only had time for 1 round which course would it be at?

TIA
Weez
Old Jun 4, 07, 10:27 pm

I usually make annual to semi-annual trips to the Big Island and always include golf in the agenda. If I had only time for one round it would be Mauna Kea, but unfortunately the course closed May 1 for an 18 month renovation.

I have enjoyed the courses at Mauna Lani and if I had to pick one would probably choose the South Course where the Senior Skins game used to be played. There is a par 3 that requires a carry over the ocean much like number three at Mauna Kea. Another course you might want to consider is the one at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (sister course to Mauna Kea). It is an Arnold Palmer/Ed Seay design with some tough holes and nice panoramic views of the ocean.
Old Jun 5, 07, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I was at the Hapuna Beach Prince course a couple of weeks ago and think it is fairly scenic, if that's your thing.

While in the area, I watched a documentary about course designs on the islands - there must be quite a few big-budget developments as the pictures in the doco were spectacular.

The course at Waikoloa, where we stayed, looks okay but I think you could do better.

Personally, I'd try to see what there is outside South Kohala; how about the Kona Village Resort?
Old Jun 6, 07, 9:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the info, I was really leaning towards Mauna Kea but since its closed that makes my decision a little easier.
Old Jul 26, 09, 5:54 pm

I haven't been to the big island in a few years and was wondering about the golf, how is the Mauna Kea course since the restoration? Also, I will be staying at the HWV, I played the kings course close to 20 years ago and dont really remember it much, are either of the HWV courses worth playing? How far is Hapuna from HWV and is it worth the drive? I played Mauna Lani a few years ago and enjoyed it but liked it more before they split the south course up.

As always thanks for the info!

looks like deja vu all over again So has anyone played Mauna Kea since it re-opened?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 27, 09 at 12:48 pm Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 27, 09, 2:35 pm

I have not been back to the Big Island since Mauna Kea re-opened but I have heard from others that it is in great shape. My understanding of the closure was to re-shape parts of the course back to their original design using photos and diagrams from the original construction (especially the bunkers and some areas around the greens). Also, they re-planted with new (modern) turf that uses less water, is easier to cut, etc, etc and they put in a new watering system IIRC.

Mauna Kea/Hapuna is only about 15-20 minutes up the road from HWV and is well worth the trip. We played Mauna Lani (south course) last summer and had a great time.
Old Jul 28, 09, 5:05 pm

I was on Hawaii a few weeks ago and played both courses at Mauna Lani and the Beach Course at Waikoloa. Mauna Lani courses were in OK shape and the greens were slow but consistent. One day we played the "Classic" course which is the original 18 hole design consisting of about 9 holes of the North and 9 holes of the South. That was a nice change.

The Waikoloa Beach Course was a joke. The course and greens were in horrible condition. I had also forgotten how poorly marked the course is (very few yardage markers). Finally, the revised order of the holes due to the closure of the Beach clubhouse makes the course seem a little disconnected.
Old Jul 28, 09, 8:13 pm

Thanks to the both of you for the replies. Looks like I'll be the guy to report back on the condition and changes of Mauna Kea, Ill be there a week from tomorrow and will report back.

BTW: Is the "Classic" course something that the proshop allows? or did you just jump around? Also, Is the classic course the old South? I loved the old South course and really dont like the new South nearly as much.
Old Jul 28, 09, 10:20 pm

I will interested to hear your comments when you get back.
Old Jul 29, 09, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000 View Post
BTW: Is the "Classic" course something that the proshop allows? or did you just jump around? Also, Is the classic course the old South? I loved the old South course and really dont like the new South nearly as much.
It was a promotion they were running for a while. It is the original layout which if I recall consists of #1 and then #11 through 18 of the current South Course and then #1,2 & 3 plus #13 through 18 of the current North Course. I think they offered it twice per week. You can call the pro shop and ask if it is still available.
Old Jul 30, 09, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jes999 View Post
It was a promotion they were running for a while. It is the original layout which if I recall consists of #1 and then #11 through 18 of the current South Course and then #1,2 & 3 plus #13 through 18 of the current North Course. I think they offered it twice per week. You can call the pro shop and ask if it is still available.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I will definitely call them.
Old Jul 19, 13, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Best way to book golf?

I'm planning to spend a week with my girl on the big island in September and we plan on playing 4 or 5 rounds of golf. What is the best way to book golf? We'll be bringing clubs and I would like to play a different course each day. I see golfnow.com has some courses, but I don't think the list looked complete. Are there any other sites people recommend? Also, the rates look better if you play in the afternoon, any negatives to this that I should consider?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: