Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2 Hour Transfer at OGG / Maui in October? Separate PNRs?

Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, UA

Hi all,

So originally was going to vacation in West Maui / Kaanapali in October. Since the wildfires ended up pivoting to Kauai instead.

Originally was going to fly from OGG - LAX via American where I have EXP status. Unfortunately they only have a redeye for LIH-LAX. Thinking about the following options:

1) Keep OGG-LAX but book a separate LIH-OGG flight on Hawaiian Air. Separate PNRs and no checked luggage. 2 hour transfer time. Would this be enough from inter-island to mainland flights? Not sure how punctual HA is typically and do not also want to miss my flight. Also how is OGG going to be in October with the recent wildfire disaster? I know the airport itself is mainly unaffected but just wondering about staffing, etc.
2) Fly LIH-LAX direct but on United (which I have no status and would incur more charges etc just for seat assignment). Also you know -- it's United.

Appreciate the help! Also appreciate any must-do's in Kauai.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
AA sells daytime LIH-HNL-LAX flights with the first leg operated by Hawaiian. You'll be on one PNR, so you'll be protected in case of a misconnect and receive your EXP benefits on the second leg.

Got to go to Hanalei and have a Mai Tai at Tahiti Nui.
supermintyfresh likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Hi all,

So originally was going to vacation in West Maui / Kaanapali in October. Since the wildfires ended up pivoting to Kauai instead.

Originally was going to fly from OGG - LAX via American where I have EXP status. Unfortunately they only have a redeye for LIH-LAX. Thinking about the following options:

1) Keep OGG-LAX but book a separate LIH-OGG flight on Hawaiian Air. Separate PNRs and no checked luggage. 2 hour transfer time. Would this be enough from inter-island to mainland flights? Not sure how punctual HA is typically and do not also want to miss my flight. Also how is OGG going to be in October with the recent wildfire disaster? I know the airport itself is mainly unaffected but just wondering about staffing, etc.
2) Fly LIH-LAX direct but on United (which I have no status and would incur more charges etc just for seat assignment). Also you know -- it's United.

Depending on time of OGG-LAX, Southwest could also an option. Book a fully refundable fare for both HA and WN to hedge your bets.

I have similar. Flying DFW-OGG but will be going to Kona. Got backup fully refundable flights HA/WN OGG-KOA and HA OGG-ITO with connection times ranging from 90 minutes to 3 hours.
supermintyfresh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.