Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

LIH airport - procedures for flying back to mainland (Sfo etc)

Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I’ve never flown out of LIH on kaua’i. Only OGG which had tsa pre and regular tsa - zero priority tsa.

what’s procedure - is it like Maui where I need a porter to put our bags through an X-ray machine? Then is there curbside?

1. May I bring home cookies / cereal / granola / Mauna Loa chocolate macadamias in our suitcases?
2. May I bring kaua’i-purchased sandwiches etc in carryon?
3. Is there tsa pre? And/or tsa priority for ua F?
4. Does kaua’i LIH have decent catering like OGG has CPK / Burger King / other hot food?
5. If I get food at LIH then can it go on plane with carryon? I saw an X-ray machine for the departure gates.

this is all new for me. Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:46 pm

The rules are the same as on Maui for Ag inspection when flying to the US mainland. (Processed food is ok, fruit, veggies, plants are not). Carry-ons get screened by Ag inspectors before the gates. Checked bags get screened before you check them.

LIH does not have nice amenities like OGG that you mentioned. It has some food and a bar. I think there's pre-check, it's been a while for me since I've flown out of Kauai.

I don't know why you'd need a porter on either island, we just lay the checked bags on the Ag inspection belt, collect them at the other end and go to ticket counter.

-David
gaobest likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 24, 2023 at 9:54 pm
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you David!
lih looks like a “small” airport. Should we still try to arrive 2 hours before our flight?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by gaobest
I’ve never flown out of LIH... I need a porter to put our bags through an X-ray machine? Then is there curbside... 2. May I bring kaua’i-purchased sandwiches etc in carryon?...3. Is there tsa pre? And/or tsa priority for ua F?
The TSA "Pre Check" line at Līhu'e Airport is near curbside between the ticket counters. I've only received Pre Check Lite (or expedited screening at TSA calls it). You'll be able to get a sandwich as far as USDA mainland screening which is at gate waiting areas. The terminal is mostly open air and compact. Here's some terminal maps that for some reason omit WN which has had service at LIH for four years now.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I want to make sure I understand the food rules.
I have some leftover cereal and taro bread rules. May I bring them in my CHECKED bags?

Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Thank you everyone. I want to make sure I understand the food rules.
I have some leftover cereal and taro bread rules. May I bring them in my CHECKED bags?
Those are fine. What they won't let through are agricultural products - fruit, plants etc. USDA APHIS | Information for Travelers Coming to the U.S. Mainland from Hawaii.

It is a smaller airport than OGG but there are definitely places to eat that are pleasant enough, and honestly WAY better than KOA which is really limiteded: Lihue Airport | Shop & Dine (hawaii.gov).
gaobest likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 25, 2023 at 9:28 pm Reason: removed images from quote
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you!
my friends are getting Sammies at Deli & Bread Connection
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for guidance and tips.

at UAL luggage checkin, we were told that security checkpoint 2 was best because “everybody” goes to the main checkpoint. Checkpoint 2 is indeed less crowded - one family going through before us and we were given the tsa pre check card so kept on shoes etc. this checkpoint is near the taxi stand by Baggage Claim A, so we had a short walk there.

that said, my spouse went through the regular tsa (pre) and said it was fine; we were separated because of the luggage dropoff while my spouse did the rental car return.

also I loved my pork loco moco at the cafe next to the bar. Big yay. Very yum
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
LIH layout question - are all the gates connected (ie, no need to go through security to get between any gate areas? I'd assume so for such a small airport, but I saw references to 2 different TSA checkpoints for different gate ranges.

Reason it matters is I am expecting to fly in and immediately fly out (an hour later) on a different flight on a mileage run, and sometimes I see the gates are in range 1-5 and other times in 6-10. So I want to be sure I can go immediately to my departure gate.

There aren't any special arrival procedures unless you are leaving the gate area, are there?

Thanks for any help.

FTF
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
LIH layout question - are all the gates connected (ie, no need to go through security to get between any gate areas? I'd assume so for such a small airport, but I saw references to 2 different TSA checkpoints for different gate ranges.

Reason it matters is I am expecting to fly in and immediately fly out (an hour later) on a different flight on a mileage run, and sometimes I see the gates are in range 1-5 and other times in 6-10. So I want to be sure I can go immediately to my departure gate.
One airside. 1-5 on one side of the central hallway, 6 - 10 are on the other side.

-David
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
One airside. 1-5 on one side of the central hallway, 6 - 10 are on the other side.

-David
this. So for that MR the “only” security is the agriculture when you exit your gate, go potty, and then enter the door for your departure gate. You’ll be fine. Just don’t violate that agricultural rule :-)

I am really loving LIH. When does this LIH / Kaua’i love dissipate?? I liked the pork loco moco in LIH. Yum. How’s the katsu? I was tempted.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:10 pm

When does this ... Kaua’i love dissipate??
If it ever does, we're not there yet. Can't wait to go back.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks, David and gaobest. Appreciate your help.

FTF
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

indeed for this trip I didn’t use curbside services at LIH. I still think I’d do it at OGG which is a much busier airport.

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Thanks, David and gaobest. Appreciate your help.

FTF
hope it works out great and ask if more questions. I learned so much from this thread.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
When does this LIH / Kaua’i love dissipate??
Never . We go every chance we get.
Rare likes this.

Last edited by mstraveler; Mar 1, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.