Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Many thanks for these suggestions! Yes, can do Pacific and OCC

Notably, you can get Senia's tasting menu if you book the private dining room, but not in the main restaurant. When I visited last week, I was told they were going to renovate later this year and then bring back the tasting menu to the main dining room after the renovations. Sadly they are fully booked next week so that's not an option.

Will try some of these options and see what I can find. Thank you!
Update. Things got busy at work and I had to pick something easy. Ended up in the normal dining room at La Mer with the dégustation menu. It was lovely.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Death of the Lobster Roll

Went to Hau Tree today and found that the Lobster Roll is no longer on the menu. Seems that supply chain interruptions and quality control issues doomed this menu offering. RIP.

Anyone find other restaurants ceasing production?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by 747FC
Went to Hau Tree today and found that the Lobster Roll is no longer on the menu. Seems that supply chain interruptions and quality control issues doomed this menu offering. RIP.

Anyone find other restaurants ceasing production?
Not a restaurant per sé but one of our favorite regular dives, the Pioneer Saloon on Monsarrat no longer has mahi (for several months now) due to their inability to reliably source it at a reasonable price. They said it isn't likely to be back on the menu anytime soon, if ever. The miso butterfish remains a solid winner however.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Just saw an Instagram post from Earl that they’re selling gift cards at the Hawaii Kai and Iwilei Costcos (looks like the standard $79.99 for $100 deal).
kirkwoodj and 747FC like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Decent inventory at the Hawaii Kai Costco today.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:59 pm

Here's a new contender for best pizza in Honolulu - Pizza Mamo in Chinatown.

Very high quality toppings and the crust is baked to perfection. Below is their Mamo Supreme: Brooklyn style (NY/Napolitano hybrid) 16" pizza made with Cali vine-ripened tomatoes, Wisconsin farm fresh cheeses, Italian sausage, Natural Casing Pepperoni, Black Olives, and Red Onion.

It's next door to Fete on Nuuanu and Hotel; if you do a take out order, I strongly suggest using the free curbside delivery service to minimize the interactions with the sketchy folks that habit the area.

I also tried Brick Fire Tavern in the old Cafe Laufer space in Kaimuki and was underwhelmed based on the high price for a smaller pie that was taken out of the over a few minutes too early.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 12, 2022 at 11:06 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's a new contender for best pizza in Honolulu - Pizza Mamo in Chinatown.

It's next door to Fete on Nuuanu and Hotel; if you do a take out order, I strongly suggest using the free curbside delivery service to minimize the interactions with the sketchy folks that habit the area.

I also tried Brick Fire Tavern in the old Cafe Laufer space in Kaimuki and was underwhelmed based on the high price for a smaller pie that was taken out of the over a few minutes too early.
Re Brickfire, I suspect you got the pie just as it was designed. A while ago, I called to order a pie and asked for the crust to be “Extra crispy”. The order-taker responded that it was not possible as they made their pizza “wet.” I assumed that was NJ style.

How was the Mamo crust?

FYI, I think you meant to say that Brickfire is located in the space formerly occupied by JJs. RIP.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 13, 2022 at 7:48 am Reason: removed image
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:48 am

A wet/soggy crust is never something I want in a pizza slice. It doesn't need to be cracker dry but I prefer slices where you can hold them up and not have them completely sag and drop toppings. The Pizza Mamo Supreme was NYC-style; wide slices that you can fold . The crust was outstanding; they use really high-end flour.

Thanks for correcting me on JJ's vs. Cafe Laufer; both are missed. I had dinner at Tiny Pyramid in the old Gentry Pacific Center in Iwilei a few nights ago and was happy to see the pastries from JJ's again.

I stopped by Feast and their lobster roll still is really good. 747FC ; this week's Crave section in the Star-Advertiser has lobster rolls on the cover. Reviewed are:

Feast - Manoa
Wicked Main Lobster - Waikiki
Royal Lobster - Waikiki
Bogart's Cafe - Monsarrat/Diamond Head
Mariposa - Ala Moana
Jolene's Market - Various

747FC likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 15, 2022 at 1:26 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:58 pm

June Recap:

Upscale
Kaimuki - Miro Kaimuki. I'm patting myself on the back a bit as I've always been leery of the single prix fixe menu and have not dined as I am a somewhat picky eater when it comes to seafood. My gourmand friend invited me to have dinner with him and I decided to act like a grown-up and be open to trying everything served to me and ended up liking it very much. My impression of the restaurant and cuisine is very high.
Iwilei - Tiny Pyramids - the folks from JJ's in Kaimuki are now over in the Gentry Pacific Center. Four of us dined there; we ordered different variations of their four course prix fixe menu and we all were very happy.

Midrange
Manoa - Feast (Dinner) - Still the best lobster roll in Honolulu. I also liked the hamburger steak plate.
Kakaako - Panya Bistro and Bakery. Nice place for a casual lunch or dinner. I had a Thai-style skirt steak salad that had a lot of juicy meat.

Casual
Beretania/Makiki - Grace's Inn - My favorite place for chicken katsu plate lunch.
Beretania/Makiki - Teruya's Andagi - Great stop before the beach for a bento and the andagi are not oily at all.
Keeamoku- Le's Banh Mi and Paris Cafe & Banh Mi. I went to both and give a slight nod to Le's (although Paris is really good too)
Chinatown - Pizza Mamo
- reviewed separately
Aiea - Young's Kalbee. This was the highlight of my trip. Outstanding meat jun and kalbi.
Kaimuki - Duk Kee - Decent basic Cantonese. Stay away from their Singapore Noodles, though.
Kaneohe - Got'z Grindz - Awesome place to get various types of musubi; I took some to a potluck and was a hero.

Chinatown - Sing Cheong Yuan Bakery - Pro tip. Their website says they open at 7 am; I showed up around 10 minutes before then and they were taking orders so I didn't have to wait. When I left, there were already about four or five people in line.

Malasadas
I'm taking a half box from Pipeline home with me.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 16, 2022 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Great updates. Thank you. Miro is in my top three in Honolulu
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:53 am

A wet/soggy crust is never something I want in a pizza slice. It doesn't need to be cracker dry but I prefer slices where you can hold them up and not have them completely sag and drop toppings. The Pizza Mamo Supreme was NYC-style; wide slices that you can fold . The crust was outstanding; they use really high-end flour.

Thanks for correcting me on JJ's vs. Cafe Laufer; both are missed. I had dinner at Tiny Pyramid in the old Gentry Pacific Center in Iwilei a few nights ago and was happy to see the pastries from JJ's again.

I stopped by Feast and their lobster roll still is really good. 747FC ; this week's Crave section in the Star-Advertiser has lobster rolls on the cover. Reviewed are:

Feast - Manoa
Wicked Main Lobster - Waikiki
Royal Lobster - Waikiki
Bogart's Cafe - Monsarrat/Diamond Head
Mariposa - Ala Moana
Jolene's Market - Various
Good to hear of the great roll at Feast. Will try again.

June Recap:

Upscale
Kaimuki - Miro Kaimuki. I'm patting myself on the back a bit as I've always been leery of the single prix fixe menu and have not dined as I am a somewhat picky eater when it comes to seafood. My gourmand friend invited me to have dinner with him and I decided to act like a grown-up and be open to trying everything served to me and ended up liking it very much. My impression of the restaurant and cuisine is very high.
Iwilei - Tiny Pyramids - the folks from JJ's in Kaimuki are now over in the Gentry Pacific Center. Four of us dined there; we ordered different variations of their four course prix fixe menu and we all were very happy.

Midrange
Manoa - Feast (Dinner) - Still the best lobster roll in Honolulu. I also liked the hamburger steak plate.
Kakaako - Panya Bistro and Bakery. Nice place for a casual lunch or dinner. I had a Thai-style skirt steak salad that had a lot of juicy meat.

Casual
Beretania/Makiki - Grace's Inn - My favorite place for chicken katsu plate lunch.
Beretania/Makiki - Teruya's Andagi - Great stop before the beach for a bento and the andagi are not oily at all.
Keeamoku- Le's Banh Mi and Paris Cafe & Banh Mi. I went to both and give a slight nod to Le's (although Paris is really good too)
Chinatown - Pizza Mamo
- reviewed separately
Aiea - Young's Kalbee. This was the highlight of my trip. Outstanding meat jun and kalbi.
Kaimuki - Duk Kee - Decent basic Cantonese. Stay away from their Singapore Noodles, though.
Kaneohe - Got'z Grindz - Awesome place to get various types of musubi; I took some to a potluck and was a hero.

Chinatown - Sing Cheong Yuan Bakery - Pro tip. Their website says they open at 7 am; I showed up around 10 minutes before then and they were taking orders so I didn't have to wait. When I left, there were already about four or five people in line.

Malasadas
I'm taking a half box from Pipeline home with me.
I've been dying for a great Banh Mi since my favorite Bale shops on Ft. Street Mall (Original owner) and Kahala Mall closed. Was recently in LA, and had a Banh Mi that was OK, but did not satisfy. Will be checking out Le's on your recommendation! Thank you! (Is there any parking at their building?)

FYI in case anyone is interested: https://www.honolulumagazine.com/leg...r-in-honolulu/

Duk Kee is my wife's go-to place for Wo won ton min.

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:30 am
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:50 pm

Le's Bahn Mi

Based upon FlyinHawaiian 's recommendation, Ms747FC and I rushed to Le's Banh Mi. Happy to report that we had the best Chicken Banh Mi we have had in years. While we greatly enjoyed it, the sauce on the chicken was a bit sweet. Service was good, the outdoor seating allowed us to eat it while the crusty roll was warm. Highly recommend. (PS: there is limited parking..best to go on a weekday....)

Will be trying out Paris Cafe for a comparison.
Calcifer likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:41 am

Glad you liked Le's and sorry for the belated reply; it took me 20 hours to get back to NYC Friday/yesterday. As you found out, there's very limited parking in the 808 Center and on the street. I went on a Sunday morning before the valet stand opened and was able to park in one of the open three or four open spaces (it helps that Le's opens early). I suppose one could park in the Sam's/Walmart lot and walk across the street...

I asked them what their recommended banh mi was for first-timers and was directed to either the Saigon Special or Roast Pork; I picked the latter and it was superb, with crispy pork skin chunks mixed in with the meat.

Paris is in a very small strip mall on Keeamoku between Young and King. I went on a Friday around lunchtime and found a space in the very small lot. I got a lemongrass chicken and a pork sausage banh mi and both were excellent.

Still hoping to find a decent Vietnamese place for spring rolls and bun in East Honolulu; not overly-impressed with the options in Kaimuki.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 19, 2022 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:23 am

Still hoping to find a decent Vietnamese place for spring rolls and bun in East Honolulu; not overly-impressed with the options in Kaimuki.
I assume you have tried Hale Vietnam, Broken Rice, and Ripple of Smiles?

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 19, 2022 at 7:02 pm
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:25 pm

I have tried the first two (and Saigon Cafe) but not Ripple of Smiles; may spock it out next month (mahalo for that).

My mom went out with friends to dinner at Harbor Village at Koko Marina and said their Cantonese was pretty good, so that is also on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.