Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 5:31 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
FYI, I asked Hau Tree if they offered gift cards/certificates and the response was that while they do, they don’t have an online purchase option yet so it has to be made via the hotel’s front desk. I ordered a gift card from the Kahala for use at Plumeria Beach House instead.

Any reports of any Oahu restaurant gift cards at Costco/Sam’s Club?
Old May 28, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
We are heading to Waikiki in June. It's been years since I've been and our first time with our two girls aged 8 & 4. We have no issues with restrictions / masks and what not but I have read about the concerns with finding places to eat. We aren't looking for anything fine dining with our kids (even though they are well behaved) but would like some casual sit down places that will have a kids menu, an adult beverage for the parents, and decent food. Does anyone have any recommendations on places that I can look to make some reservations in advance so we have some options?

Edit - We are staying at the Sheraton Waikiki so anything within walking distance or a short Uber is appreciated.

Last edited by WiscAZ; May 28, 2021 at 12:47 pm
Old May 28, 2021, 1:34 pm

If you scan the posts from 2020 forward (roughly 20-30 posts) there's a few mentions of places convenient to Waikiki. There's good public transportation in and out of Waikiki that puts places in the adjacent neighborhoods (Ala Moana, Kaimuki, Kahala) in play, along with rideshare/taxi (if they can be found).
Old May 28, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
After doing some research here is what we’ve settled on so far with reservations. We may cancel one or two if we aren’t up to it but wanted to have some options in place given the challenges to get reservations.

breakfast:
Basalt
Dukes
Grooby Cafe (no reservation option)

lunch:
Tikis
Hula Grill

Dinner:
Roys
tommy Bahamas
Maui Brewing Company (no reservation option)
Hard Rock
Moana Beach House

I figure these are all pretty touristy but with kids we kind of need that. I called around to ensure kids menus at all places.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:47 am

My local friends are advising that restaurant reservations need to be booked at least 2-3 weeks in advance for any reasonable time slots.

One place that's getting positive buzz is Istanbul in Kaka`ako - https://www.istanbulhawaii.com/
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
One place that's getting positive buzz is Istanbul in Kaka`ako - https://www.istanbulhawaii.com/
Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Waikiki Restaurant recommendations?

Will be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a week in July. Has anyone been recently with any restaurant recommendations in the area or a simple bus ride? Figured I should make a few reservations; would prefer to eat in but good take out on that end of Waikiki would be good too. It has been a while since I have stayed in Waikiki and have forgotten the places I liked! Appreciate any suggestions. Not a big meat fan and anything from a local dive to some place fancier if fine.

Just found this thread, so any ideas for any local places that are open especially appreciated. Have bus will travel ( but not too far!)

Last edited by mstraveler; Jun 14, 2021 at 2:32 pm Reason: moved into existing thread for this topic
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I will continue on my mission to find the best lobster roll served on Oahu.
My mom went to the soft-reopening of Mariposa at the Ala Moana Neiman Marcus and had the $34(!!!) lobster club sandwich and said it was very good, but not great.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
My mom went to the soft-reopening of Mariposa at the Ala Moana Neiman Marcus and had the $34(!!!) lobster club sandwich and said it was very good, but not great.
I have been known to pay for really good food, but $34 seems like a "needless markup", aka Neiman Marcus, price .

Seems like a lot or eateries are still closed on Oahu. California is opening up more but Hawaii is, understandably, being very cautious. Suggestions for open restaurants on Waikiki - and good take outs! -would be much appreciated and I know this is a real long shot, but also anyplace to hear Hawaiian music!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 18, 2021 at 4:55 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Seems like a lot or eateries are still closed on Oahu. California is opening up more but Hawaii is, understandably, being very cautious. Suggestions for open restaurants on Waikiki - and good take outs! -would be much appreciated and I know this is a real long shot, but also anyplace to hear Hawaiian music!
For inexpensive takeout: Ebi Kahuku - garlic shrimp!

For good takeout: Roys Waikiki. Especially on Thursdays when you can buy ribs for $5 with each main course you order. Pay attention to the daily take-out specials.

GET YOUR RESERVATIONS ASAP FOR ANY SITDOWN RESTARUANT YOU WANT TO BOOK.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
For inexpensive takeout: Ebi Kahuku - garlic shrimp!

For good takeout: Roys Waikiki. Especially on Thursdays when you can buy ribs for $5 with each main course you order. Pay attention to the daily take-out specials.

GET YOUR RESERVATIONS ASAP FOR ANY SITDOWN RESTARUANT YOU WANT TO BOOK.
Thanks and having trouble finding any restaurants that are open for sit-down! Would like to get at least a couple of reservations. I know I am late to the game. Got a Roy's reservation at 4:45 and Hula Grill at 2:15. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!

Last edited by mstraveler; Jun 15, 2021 at 11:06 am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
So pleased to hear about the re-opening!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Thanks and having trouble finding any restaurants that are open for sit-down! Would like to get at least a couple of reservations. I know I am late to the game. Got a Roy's reservation at 4:45 and Hula Grill at 2:15. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!
Aranchino di Mare, The Eating House, The Deck.

Avoid the ravioli at Hula Grill - the worst restaurant dish I have had in decades.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Plumeria at the Kahala Hotel

Don't even try. My old standby is closed for emergency repairs. For now, no reservations being taken.

It is hard enough to get a restaurant reservation, especially for open-air dining that is outside of Waikiki. <sigh>
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:55 am

I pinged my mom to let her know about Plumeria and, of course, she already knew. Hopefully, it will be a short closure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.