Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Old Apr 3, 22, 9:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
That's a somewhat silly argument. You can easily have a cheap trip to Stockholm or Oslo. Both those cities are walkable and are served by cheap and reliable public transit. Sure beer in Oslo is $13 a pint but you can still eat and tour very cheaply.
In terms of food, I definitely found cheaper prices in Hawaii.

No argument on the public transit though.
Old Apr 5, 22, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
That's a somewhat silly argument. You can easily have a cheap trip to Stockholm or Oslo. Both those cities are walkable and are served by cheap and reliable public transit. Sure beer in Oslo is $13 a pint but you can still eat and tour very cheaply.
Summer of 2009 I was seeing $20+ for a sandwich at the "cheap eats" places. Honolulu has subsidized bus service for decades specifically to make it more attractive for tourists to use TheBus rather than crowd the streets with rental cars. I loved my vacation in Stockholm and in Oslo but neither was "cheap". You can eat and travel a lot less expensively in Hawaii even with current rates.
Old Apr 5, 22, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
Summer of 2009 I was seeing $20+ for a sandwich at the "cheap eats" places. Honolulu has subsidized bus service for decades specifically to make it more attractive for tourists to use TheBus rather than crowd the streets with rental cars. I loved my vacation in Stockholm and in Oslo but neither was "cheap". You can eat and travel a lot less expensively in Hawaii even with current rates.
You sure can. If you stay at a captive resort, or don't want to leave it for whatever reason, the sky is the limit on what you'll spend. But if you aren't hell bent on luxury, or at least purported luxury, Honolulu isn't going to be materially any worse than SF or NY. Want a decent piece of fish but don't want to spend $50? Well, are you willing to stand in line to order? https://paiafishmarket.com/ for example. Want a nice picnic full of Japanese yummies? https://mitsuwa.com/hw/ No car? Short taxi/ride service to Kaimuki for more interesting eats at prices you might be more familiar with. And so on.
EXPLAT and Rare like this.
Old Apr 5, 22, 6:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Honolulu has subsidized bus service for decades specifically to make it more attractive for tourists to use TheBus rather than crowd the streets with rental cars..
I strongly suspect that ridership on The Bus more heavily skews towards locals, and the justification for substantial subsidies is to ensure that businesses who employ low-skilled and -paid workers have a means to transport them to the office/hotel/retail site.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Apr 6, 22, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You sure can. If you stay at a captive resort, or don't want to leave it for whatever reason, the sky is the limit on what you'll spend. But if you aren't hell bent on luxury, or at least purported luxury, Honolulu isn't going to be materially any worse than SF or NY. Want a decent piece of fish but don't want to spend $50? Well, are you willing to stand in line to order? https://paiafishmarket.com/ for example. Want a nice picnic full of Japanese yummies? https://mitsuwa.com/hw/ No car? Short taxi/ride service to Kaimuki for more interesting eats at prices you might be more familiar with. And so on.
Heck, you can eat cheaper in HNL than SFO or NYC if you are willing to eat like a local. Like sushi? Grab take-out from Kozo's -- numerous outlets around the O`ahu. All sorts of places to grab excellent quality plate lunches, not just L&L's. Lots of places on Montserrat Ave or Kapahulu Blvd which are slightly more expensive but decently upscale food.

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I strongly suspect that ridership on The Bus more heavily skews towards locals, and the justification for substantial subsidies is to ensure that businesses who employ low-skilled and -paid workers have a means to transport them to the office/hotel/retail site.
You'd be right that the ridership is skewed heavily local but that's partly because visitors seem to turn their nose up at the idea of grabbing the bus. They don't want to wait 15 or 20 minutes at the bus stop and deal with the time it takes to get from Waikiki to Hana`Uma Bay on the bus -- but the fact is you can do it. My point was that there are very few places a tourist might want to go that aren't serviced by TheBus. By the way, when I was growing up, there were express services and certain high demand routes (e.g., Waikiki to Hawaii Kai) so you didn't have to endure as many intermediate stops. Taking the express from Waikiki to Hawaii Kai (Hana`Uma Bay) would be one area where you could actually save time by not having to play land shark trying to find a parking place.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Apr 6, 22, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd be right that the ridership is skewed heavily local but that's partly because visitors seem to turn their nose up at the idea of grabbing the bus. They don't want to wait 15 or 20 minutes at the bus stop and deal with the time it takes to get from Waikiki to Hana`Uma Bay on the bus -- but the fact is you can do it. My point was that there are very few places a tourist might want to go that aren't serviced by TheBus. By the way, when I was growing up, there were express services and certain high demand routes (e.g., Waikiki to Hawaii Kai) so you didn't have to endure as many intermediate stops. Taking the express from Waikiki to Hawaii Kai (Hana`Uma Bay) would be one area where you could actually save time by not having to play land shark trying to find a parking place.
Best yet, one day your great grandchildren may be able to save even more money by taking the train from HNL to Ala Moana Center, and then walk to their Waikiki hotel
Tanic, ExpatExp and 747FC like this.
Old Apr 6, 22, 4:28 pm

Nope, that light rail system was always just fraud and graft. Locals will be paying for that boondoggle for generations, long after the politicians and contractors who profited off it have left or died.
Old Apr 7, 22, 10:15 pm
formerly richiezc

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Heck, you can eat cheaper in HNL than SFO or NYC if you are willing to eat like a local. Like sushi? Grab take-out from Kozo's -- numerous outlets around the O`ahu. All sorts of places to grab excellent quality plate lunches, not just L&L's. Lots of places on Montserrat Ave or Kapahulu Blvd which are slightly more expensive but decently upscale food.
I live in SF and have a 2nd home in HNL, in general I'd say food is less expensive than SF even on the high end. Where the price difference hits you is fruit/veg so I hit the farmers market, costco and surprisingly whole foods (sales are national vs regional) is probably the least expensive super market

Best yet, one day your great grandchildren may be able to save even more money by taking the train from HNL to Ala Moana Center, and then walk to their Waikiki hotel
Traffic around AMC is already horrible, the cones to change number of lanes in each direction on Kapiolani during rush hour is the first time i've seen this on local streets. The entire "midtown ala moana" neighborhood was really built up with the density bonus and now the rail won't even make it.

Last edited by RedPanda5; Apr 7, 22 at 10:20 pm
Old Apr 7, 22, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Good luck with that. The rail isn't going to Ala Moana. It is likely now stopping at Kaka'ako.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/lo...fore-ala-moana

Blangiardi said he wants the city’s rail project to stop before the route reaches Ala Moana — in Kakaʻako.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/0...perties-limbo/

Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi surprised many when he announced in his State of the City address on Tuesday that the city wants to stop rail construction at South Street, eliminating two stations and shortening the project by one and a quarter miles.
Old Apr 8, 22, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Good luck with that. The rail isn't going to Ala Moana. It is likely now stopping at Kaka'ako.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/lo...fore-ala-moana

Blangiardi said he wants the citys rail project to stop before the route reaches Ala Moana in Kakaʻako.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/0...perties-limbo/

Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi surprised many when he announced in his State of the City address on Tuesday that the city wants to stop rail construction at South Street, eliminating two stations and shortening the project by one and a quarter miles.
Yup, familiar with that, which is why I suggested it would the the great grandchildren, qualified by a may.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 9, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 100K
Anyone looking for cheap transportation around Oahu here's a good deal: https://waikikitrolley.com/

I was there a couple months ago and got around downtown Waikiki all day for $5. And the buses are nice double-decker, open-air, mainly filled with tourists.
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
crazy high

Insane! $900/night for the Residence Inn on Maui for this coming January. Too rich for my budget.

Studio, 2 Queen, Sofa bed
Room Details
Room Details-1005
Member Rate Prepay Non-refundable

Hanges up to 7 days prior to stay
Prepay in full
Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking
See Rate details

Rate Details
$856
USD / night
Prepay Non-refundable

Changes up to 7 days prior to stay
Prepay in full
Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking
See Rate details

Rate Details
$873
USD / night

1BR condos on VRBO/AirBNB are running $200++ per night plus taxes, fees, etc. Which brings the weekly prices close to $2000.
2BR condos pricing out at $2800++ per week.

To say nothing about rental cars averaging >$100/day. I hear the Caribbean calling my name.
iahphx likes this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 12:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I would say the sky high places ruined our trip to Hawaii. I tell everyone I know to wait and not visit Hawaii right now. Prices are crazy. Rooms that were decent that used to cost $400 are now $1000. Restaurants charge $30 for a burger. We stayed at the Andaz and heard so many great blog posts about the breakfast. Was so excited to see what my Globalist free $50 buffet was like. It was fine but if someone told me it would cost $50 I give it a meh for a review. With such poor value in Hawaii, I have no desire to return anytime soon. But I am wondering who are all these people who are willing to pay so much? Why would they return to Hawaii?
Old Apr 29, 22, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by smilee View Post
I would say the sky high places ruined our trip to Hawaii. I tell everyone I know to wait and not visit Hawaii right now. Prices are crazy. Rooms that were decent that used to cost $400 are now $1000. Restaurants charge $30 for a burger. We stayed at the Andaz and heard so many great blog posts about the breakfast. Was so excited to see what my Globalist free $50 buffet was like. It was fine but if someone told me it would cost $50 I give it a meh for a review. With such poor value in Hawaii, I have no desire to return anytime soon. But I am wondering who are all these people who are willing to pay so much? Why would they return to Hawaii?
I personally feel that way about just about every breakfast buffet - I'd never pay the price (and I think it's more than $60 at the Andaz with tax and tip). But for free, I really like it.

Really, it's just supply and demand putting prices where they are. There are only so many rooms, and the state is cracking down on short term rentals too. Meanwhile, demand is way up with people having saved up travel funds for the last two years. Couple that with the money the US government had been pouring out here we are.

But I also think that part of these high prices has to be seen as just inflation. At least 10% is explainable just that way.
iahphx and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
But I am wondering who are all these people who are willing to pay so much? Why would they return to Hawaii?
It almost seems like a status thing or just somewhere everyone wants to go because of the hype. I live here and work part time bartending at a place where I interact with a lot of tourists and it's interesting to pick their brains a bit. Everyone piles onto Maui and has to do The Road to Hana.... when they get back most people had an average to miserable time due to how long it took and all the twists and turns on the road. But they'll post their pictures to FB and all their friends/family will be dying to come do it next year. And that's just one good example of the mindset. Sure, the weather is nice and the beach is nice but I really see few tourists actually enjoying it. It's like they are in such a race to cram everything in that they never stop and have a vacation.
gretchendz and josephstern like this.

Search this Thread