Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDTyKe
Effective 8 November 2021, Non-U.S. citizens traveling directly Hawaii from another country must show both vaccination records and a negative COVID test results (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the U.S. This applies to ALL over the age of 2. Ages 2-17 are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated but negative COVID testing result still applies with the child having to follow the 'vaccinated (72 hours)' or 'unvaccinated (24 hours)' stream according to their actual vaccination status.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Provide proof of vaccination OR
  • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
Airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaii, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering Hawaii.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-provide-update-on-international-travel-to-hawaii/

FULLY VACCINATED PASSENGERS

VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
  • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
    • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Remember - non-stop international flights into HI only (e.g. NRT-HNL, YVR-KOA, or even ICN-HNL-OGG).
VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
      • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
VAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Hawai'i Safe Travel Rules apply:
    • HI Safe Travels Portal application/QR is required
    • Must apply for a 'Vaccine Exception'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed
    • e.g. SFO-KOA, EWR-HNL or those where you are taking a long trip to the US mainland first such as FRA-LAX-(3 days)-LAX-LIH

NOT FULLY VACCINATED/UNVACCINATED (age 2+)

UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • Foreign nationals, non-US citizens, etc. ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE if unvaccinated UNLESS they meet one of the exceptions which include: Under age 18; Traveling from a recognized country where vaccines are in low supply; Other exceptions as described by CDC
  • Test T-24 from your departing flight to the US/HI, or proof of recent recovery. Test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • T-24 test from your international-> US departure, or proof of recent recovery.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
    • Foreign nationals? N/A. Non U.S. citizens, nationals, LPR's etc barred from entry to U.S. on this scenario.
    • To kill two birds with one stone, consider a HI approved 'telehealth' test that you can take abroad before departing for the U.S. (Azova Lucira?)
    • Remember that although the U.S. accepts antigen tests, HI does not at this time.
    • Alternatively, plan a sufficiently long layover to get another HI-approved rapid test at a major US airport hub ($$$$), or a trip out to Walgreens for their HI-approved IDNow rapid test.
UNVAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I'll make this a separate post: further reasoning on the "they'll have to adapt Safe Travels to deal with international visitors" front, HA will be restarting nonstop service to Sydney on December 13th. Safe Travels has no trusted partners in Australia, so HA must expect some adaption of the programme to think that flight is worth it.

Reporting here of Ige's interview does suggest he was only talking about domestic flights - though I presume most of us in this thread are concerned with connecting to a domestic leg from Europe after the 8th. Worth noting though that [unless I'm mistaken] the 8th represents a more stringent regime for those countries which were not affected by the travel ban, since vaccination is now required [previously spending two weeks in the likes of Croatia or Turkey side-stepped the issue, I believe]. This seems to be the suggestion that they would revisit things when the federal guidelines were announced, for those interested. I think they're saying that they'll annouce changes before the new federal rules go into effect - which we now know to be the 8th, and as you'd expect - the language is a little ambiguous though.

I suspect there will be more news on this early next week, but our backup plan of the Azova tests mentioned upthread remains.
LETTERBOY and LucyK1806 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by etiene
Unless I’ve misunderstood, all non-US travellers will be both vaccinated and tested - so maybe his statement is merely to reaffirm that the current requirements for US citizens/residents will not be relaxed? (I certainly hope so…!)

ETA: my partner (an American lawyer) believes that the federal recognition of foreign vaccines will have to carry over to Safe Travels. That would presumably then allow foreign visitors to connect on to Hawai’i without quarantine while not affecting domestic travellers.
I don't think it's quite federal recognition - it's very clearly solely for the purpose of entering the US (for example, non FDA approved vaccines are in the list). That said, there most definitely will be pressure on Hawaiʻi.

To be honest, I think the core issue here is whether it can be said it's warranted to put greater burden on domestic travelers than on international, i.e. to trust tests from "anywhere" for Int'l travelers, but ONLY Trusted Partners domestically. At a minimum they'd effectively have to expand it to any test, by any CLIA lab - rather than just their friends; which would mean upgrading their software for the robots to clear your test. I don't think they can warrant the tighter restrictions on domestic travelers, and I think this is where it's gonna hit the fan with Safe Travels to be honest. I suspect they'll just announce Australia partners in the interim.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I don't think it's quite federal recognition - it's very clearly solely for the purpose of entering the US (for example, non FDA approved vaccines are in the list). That said, there most definitely will be pressure on Hawaiʻi.

To be honest, I think the core issue here is whether it can be said it's warranted to put greater burden on domestic travelers than on international, i.e. to trust tests from "anywhere" for Int'l travelers, but ONLY Trusted Partners domestically. At a minimum they'd effectively have to expand it to any test, by any CLIA lab - rather than just their friends; which would mean upgrading their software for the robots to clear your test. I don't think they can warrant the tighter restrictions on domestic travelers, and I think this is where it's gonna hit the fan with Safe Travels to be honest. I suspect they'll just announce Australia partners in the interim.
But there is no greater burden on domestic travellers: currently all vaccinated domestic travellers can travel without quarantine or test already, all unvaccinated domestic travellers can travel with a test from an approved provider. Allow the recognition of foreign administered vaccines in line with the CDC requirements for entering the country and the situation is: all vaccinated travellers can travel without quarantine or test, all unvaccinated domestic travellers must test to avoid quarantine, all unvaccinated international travellers can't get in the country anyway [but are bounced by CBP, not Hawai'i's issue], and the foreign administered tests are irrelevant to Safe Travels.

Which is not to say that there wouldn't still be public pressure on Safe Travels, but it will be disingenuous.
LucyK1806, gcashin and OGG flyer like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:24 pm

I agree with your logic, but that assumes people are acting logically

At some point, unless there's another surge, Safe Travels is supposed to end. It will be interesting to see what happens.

-David
etiene likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

At some point, unless there's another surge, Safe Travels is supposed to end. It will be interesting to see what happens.

-David
Never meant to assume that about people in general, though Safe Travels itself seems likely eminently reasonable public policy to me (a European half of your nation would label “communist”). Ige seems to be fairly sensible too. I don’t think it’s one of the links I posted, but the intention to get rid of Safe Travels at 70% vaccination is no longer promised I believe. I think ST will be around for a while longer, sadly.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE
So it's now a week out from Nov 8, and I haven't seen anything on whether HI will begin recognizing vaccines administered outside the US (Europe, Canada, etc). All foreigners already need to show proof of vaccination and a negative (antigen) test to board a flight to the US starting Nov 8. Hawaii's requirement of needing a PCR test from a Hawaii-approved/trusted lab seems overkill for those vaccinated outside of the US and definitely adds a big expense/hurdle above the normal antigen test + proof of vaccination for Intl arrivals. Any rumblings on an announcement this week? Looks like the Governor mentioned they'll have a plan in place prior to Nov 8, but it's less than a week out.
Majuki and OGG flyer like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 3:59 am

The ironic part is that Governor Ige is in Europe right now. ( All Hawaii News: Ige headed to Glasgow for climate change conference, Kamehameha Schools contact tracing draws Maui resistance, Honolulu lifeguard shortage closes beaches, more news from all the Hawaiian Islands )
MDTyKe, gcashin and etiene like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
I'd be shocked if Ige ends Safe Travels this side of 2030 to be honest....

Hopefully he sees the gap for himself.. but I'm sure he's got his exemption.

Originally Posted by gcashin
So it's now a week out from Nov 8, and I haven't seen anything on whether HI will begin recognizing vaccines administered outside the US
You seem to misunderstand how it works here. "Plenty of time" means around 6pm on the evening of Nov 7 - or later. Likely, the new rules will change little other than allowing antigen tests from the mainland US. If we have a total game changer, it'll allow foreign test+entry if you can prove (in person, on arrival) that you've just flown non-stop from a foreign country and have satisfied CDC requirements.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Nov 2, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:42 pm

Press conference today about the international rules and the safe travel program

Gov. David Ige will hold a press conference Tuesday afternoon with the topics of international travel and the Safe Travels Hawaii program.
LucyK1806, gcashin and etiene like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd watched the press conference. General takeaway is that Hawaii will be aligning with the federal CDC guidelines for Intl arrivals as of Nov 8. For those fully vaccinated (outside of the US), the normal requirements for US entry will apply; proof of vaccination + negative test required for entry (antigen is OK, doesn't need to be PCR). A welcome improvement, given that the Hawaii-approved PCR tests were quite expensive and difficult to obtain in some locations.
LucyK1806 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:49 pm

Update from Governor's office and also a maui now link:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom...-requirements/
https://mauinow.com/2021/11/02/hawai...tarting-nov-8/

My head hurts a bit trying to decipher this, as it differs from the new US guidelines. Clerical / transposition errors? Or intentional? Not that I'm not 100% happy to just show my vaccine card....but.....

Direct International Travel to Hawaiʻi

Starting Nov. 8
  • NON-U.S. citizens traveling directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination must present BOTH a vaccination records AND a negative COVID-19 test result (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the United States.
  • U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination have two options:
    • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
There will be no additional State of Hawaiʻi requirements for passengers flying directly into Hawaiʻi from an international destination. The airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaiʻi, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.
LETTERBOY, LucyK1806 and Pack like this.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Nov 2, 2021 at 10:32 pm
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
Thanks for the heads-up. I'd watched the press conference. General takeaway is that Hawaii will be aligning with the federal CDC guidelines for Intl arrivals as of Nov 8. For those fully vaccinated (outside of the US), the normal requirements for US entry will apply; proof of vaccination + negative test required for entry (antigen is OK, doesn't need to be PCR). A welcome improvement, given that the Hawaii-approved PCR tests were quite expensive and difficult to obtain in some locations.
Not quite. It appears that Hawaiʻi is aligning with federal rules for DIRECT flights to HI, i.e. vax + 72hr test or 24hr test if unvax.

Anyone with a layover is treated as a domestic traveler, and needs a partner test, or the US vax exemption. So basically, little has changed unless you're traveling from Japan or Canada, and only on a direct flight. If you're coming from Europe and are not vax in the US, you need to stop and get a partner test. If you're coming from Europe and are vax in the US, your CDC card is fine, per current domestic rules.

If anything, it's gotten more complicated tbh...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:12 pm

But.... this would say that vaccinated US citizens returning to Hawaii from international destinations don't need to test. (See the "OR" I bolded below). Is that part of the new guidelines for direct flights? If yes I completely did not catch it.
  • U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination have two options:
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
But.... this would say that vaccinated US citizens returning to Hawaii from international destinations don't need to test. (See the "OR" I bolded below). Is that part of the new guidelines for direct flights? If yes I completely did not catch it.
yes, they got it wrong, just follow the federal requirements.

-David
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Not quite. It appears that Hawaiʻi is aligning with federal rules for DIRECT flights to HI, i.e. vax + 72hr test or 24hr test if unvax.

Anyone with a layover is treated as a domestic traveler, and needs a partner test, or the US vax exemption. So basically, little has changed unless you're traveling from Japan or Canada, and only on a direct flight. If you're coming from Europe and are not vax in the US, you need to stop and get a partner test. If you're coming from Europe and are vax in the US, your CDC card is fine, per current domestic rules.

If anything, it's gotten more complicated tbh...
Not quite. The major difference is that they have expanded the eligibility for the vaccination exemption to include vaccines administered outside the US. They're removing the requirement that the vaccines had to be administered via the US, so Intl travelers connecting via a domestic flight can upload their vaccine documentation to satisfy the eligibility requirements for the exemption. They'd covered that specifically at the press conference. The wording on the press release is pretty short, but does acknowledge that they are expanding the criteria for vaccines.

So a vaccinated traveler from Canada or Europe who is connecting via the US next week still needs to fill out the safe travels form but can upload the vaccine documentation to satisfy the exemption requirements as an alternative to the NAAT/PCR test. They would need an antigen test to enter the US at their first point of entry.

From the Governor's office press release:

Also, beginning on Nov. 8, the State of Hawaiʻi, in alignment with the federal government, will accept vaccines approved or authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and vaccines listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization. A list of currently accepted vaccines is posted on the CDC’s website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.