Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDTyKe
Effective 8 November 2021, Non-U.S. citizens traveling directly Hawaii from another country must show both vaccination records and a negative COVID test results (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the U.S. This applies to ALL over the age of 2. Ages 2-17 are exempt from the requirement to be vaccinated but negative COVID testing result still applies with the child having to follow the 'vaccinated (72 hours)' or 'unvaccinated (24 hours)' stream according to their actual vaccination status.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaii from an international destination have two options:
  • Provide proof of vaccination OR
  • Provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one day of boarding flight to U.S.
Airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaii, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering Hawaii.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-provide-update-on-international-travel-to-hawaii/

FULLY VACCINATED PASSENGERS

VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
  • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
    • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.
  • Remember - non-stop international flights into HI only (e.g. NRT-HNL, YVR-KOA, or even ICN-HNL-OGG).
VAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • Vax card/cert AND T-72 test
      • Per CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
      • T-72 test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner", as this is moot.e.g. NRT-SFO-KOA, ICN-SFO-HNL-OGG, FRA-LAX-KOA, YYZ-SFO-LIH
VAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Hawai'i Safe Travel Rules apply:
    • HI Safe Travels Portal application/QR is required
    • Must apply for a 'Vaccine Exception'
    • In line with CDC rules, U.S. and Internationally administered vaccinations are accepted
    • No test needed
    • e.g. SFO-KOA, EWR-HNL or those where you are taking a long trip to the US mainland first such as FRA-LAX-(3 days)-LAX-LIH

NOT FULLY VACCINATED/UNVACCINATED (age 2+)

UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS NON-STOP/DIRECT TO HAWAI'I
  • Entry Requirements for the United States must be followed.
  • Foreign nationals, non-US citizens, etc. ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE if unvaccinated UNLESS they meet one of the exceptions which include: Under age 18; Traveling from a recognized country where vaccines are in low supply; Other exceptions as described by CDC
  • Test T-24 from your departing flight to the US/HI, or proof of recent recovery. Test does NOT have to be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
  • No further checks are completed by the State of Hawai'i, and therefore the Safe Travels/QR etc. is no longer necessary.
UNVAX - INT'L FLIGHTS W/ LAYOVERS EN-ROUTE TO HAWAI'I
  • U.S. AND HI procedures apply
  • U.S.:
    • T-24 test from your international-> US departure, or proof of recent recovery.
  • Hawai'i:
    • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
    • Foreign nationals? N/A. Non U.S. citizens, nationals, LPR's etc barred from entry to U.S. on this scenario.
    • To kill two birds with one stone, consider a HI approved 'telehealth' test that you can take abroad before departing for the U.S. (Azova Lucira?)
    • Remember that although the U.S. accepts antigen tests, HI does not at this time.
    • Alternatively, plan a sufficiently long layover to get another HI-approved rapid test at a major US airport hub ($$$$), or a trip out to Walgreens for their HI-approved IDNow rapid test.
UNVAX - DOMESTIC FLIGHTS TO HAWAI'I
  • Exemption to Q possible with a T-72 test required but MUST be from a Hawai'i "Trusted Partner"
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program for International Travelers (ends 25 Mar 2022)

Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
thanks both, i have re-assured myself that i just present the vaccination certs as i am now treated as a domestic traveller.

but panicked for a while.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I just rented a car for a week from Dollar Rental Car- from May 20.

This is what is says are the terms and conditions on the reservation on its web site:

*Important Location Info
Per the State of Hawaii’s Safe Travels Program, rentals only allowed to people not subject to quarantine. A QR code from your Safe Travels Hawaii account must be shown at the location upon pick-up of the vehicle. For more information, refer to: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

I guess that provision on my reservation on the dollar rental car web site is obsolete?
Old May 8, 2022, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

I guess that provision on my reservation on the dollar rental car web site is obsolete?
Yes!

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.