Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Good idea. Won't affect most tourists, including me.
I doubt it affects that many people .. window dressing I guess? We have too many positives right now. Likely to get worse with both holiday surges.

-David
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I doubt it affects that many people .. window dressing I guess? We have too many positives right now. Likely to get worse with both holiday surges.

-David
A friend who is vacationing in Kihei with her family told me that almost everyone is wearing masks. Good to hear. How about the folks upcountry?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
agree. Need to close all indoor dining (not really a big deal when the weather is always nice) and really stress the no family gatherings part. It is the latter driving the infection rate, not tourists who have been pre-tested.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Need to close all indoor dining (not really a big deal when the weather is always nice) and really stress the no family gatherings part. It is the latter driving the infection rate, not tourists who have been pre-tested.
Is indoor dining contributing to the CV-19 infection rate on Maui?

David
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
agree. Need to close all indoor dining (not really a big deal when the weather is always nice) and really stress the no family gatherings part. It is the latter driving the infection rate, not tourists who have been pre-tested.
It's interesting in story linked above groups "from the same household" are exempt from the group size max of 5. I guess they can't forbid familes from leaving the house together.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Is indoor dining contributing to the CV-19 infection rate on Maui?

David
Yes it is. On the Big Island too. One venue spreading a lot of cases isn't even your typical "indoor dining" place: a Starbucks.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So people being driven inside to air conditioned spaces?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:18 pm

The numbers are very high, but the thing is as of right now, not many cases in the hospital and only one covid-19 patient in ICU, and maybe 2 Covid-19 patients on ventilators at Maui Memorial. That of course can easily change.

Several clusters, the largest one is at a condo complex in Kahului. That one alone may have added 30 cases in the latest results.

If you are interested, the daily covid-19 update published by Maui Now provides the detailed breakdown of the cases and clusters on Maui.

Here is the update from Jan 2. https://mauinow.com/2021/01/02/jan-2...-out-of-state/
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The Mayor has requested that the Governor sign-off on more stringent lock-down rules on the island. Among the new restrictions: closing all bars island-wide and forcing restaurants to only open for take-out service, including at resorts. No indoor or outdoor dining permitted. It would also limit travel on-island for "essential purposes." Before the pre-travel test quarantine, they'd pull over anyone not suspected of going to work. Now with tourists around, not sure how they'd enforce that.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
IMHO restrictions should be limited to what most of the public is willing to abide by. Otherwise everyone becomes accustomed to ignoring the restrictions, following the publicized examples of leaders flouting their own rules. It's like speed limits: Set them at 85th percentile speed and you can enforce them. Set them at 20th percentile speed and enforcement becomes a bad joke.

You would think with the Bluetooth proximity apps (I use one in California) that by now we would know where the spread is occurring. For some reason we do not, so we get regulation by guesswork. Or maybe our leaders want to be seen as doing something, regardless of efficacy.
DJ_Iceman and denver19 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Mayor has requested that the Governor sign-off on more stringent lock-down rules on the island. Among the new restrictions: closing all bars island-wide and forcing restaurants to only open for take-out service, including at resorts. No indoor or outdoor dining permitted. It would also limit travel on-island for "essential purposes." Before the pre-travel test quarantine, they'd pull over anyone not suspected of going to work. Now with tourists around, not sure how they'd enforce that.
Do you have a link for this? Thanks for your updates!
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:18 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
We recently got back from Maui.

The good I'd say 90% wearing masks even outdoors walking, most when they settled at the beach went bare though.

Out and about and at restaurants everywhere far better protocol and public behavior then even in my liberal state.

The most uncomfortable was our catamaran excursion, they ran 50% capacity and did things like personal boxed lunches and brought all our gear to us versus the standard everyone line up to get your stuff, but if someone was infected and spreading I'd think they'd be able to transmit.

Overall I think the decision to travel for leisure or lock down and the delicate balance of sacrifice for the greater good of country-society is a delicate personal and national decision. No regrets going, but feel for anyone that didn't fly Alaska, as when we left the lines for those w/o the Alaska expedite was hours long...

Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chipmaster
No regrets going, but feel for anyone that didn't fly Alaska, as when we left the lines for those w/o the Alaska expedite was hours long...
I assume this is the line for the arrivals checkpoint--do you mind sharing what day of week and time of day this was taken?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:03 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by dkc192
I assume this is the line for the arrivals checkpoint--do you mind sharing what day of week and time of day this was taken?
Saturday evening, a few weeks ago Dec 26th, our plane was delayed more than three hours due to the fires. That line didn't seem to shrink for the three extra hours we were there, so much for social distancing in the line.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Saturday evening, a few weeks ago Dec 26th, our plane was delayed more than three hours due to the fires. That line didn't seem to shrink for the three extra hours we were there, so much for social distancing in the line.
yikes about that line not moving during your 3 hour delay.
since you had AS expedite, Im curious if theres a different location for you to go? It doesnt seem that you could just walk past those people in the narrow space in order to go to an expedite line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.