Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The law is wherever you are, inside or out, you must be masked if you're within 6' of anyone you don't live with. Makes sense on crowded beaches.
why would you be within 6 feet of anyone you don’t know on a beach? Unless you are socializing which you shouldn’t do anyway under the rules.

Maybe the beaches in Maui are more crowded now then I remember (though that seems unlikely given the lack of visitors). Now to be fair Waikiki is (was) always packed but I avoid that like the plague.
denver19 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
FYI Southwest has $73 midweek fares right now OAK or SJC to OGG or HNL. I have no idea why.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sout...73-hawaii.html
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nsx
FYI Southwest has $73 midweek fares right now OAK or SJC to OGG or HNL. I have no idea why.

I was looking over the weekend and found some $77 PDX > OGG on United..... pretty crazy!
nsx and Boraxo like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nsx

Too many empty seats?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Too many empty seats?
Yeah, all the middle ones

I've flown PDX > OGG 8X (and back 8X) since Covid started and the flights are generally more filled now than in March but that's not saying much. I flew over on a 737 with 15 people at the lowest. My last flight was the day before Thanksgiving (busiest travel day of the year, right?) and I'd say of the available 2/3 of the seats 75% were taken.
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by mtofell
I've flown PDX > OGG 8X (and back 8X) since Covid started and the flights are generally more filled now than in March but that's not saying much. I flew over on a 737 with 15 people at the lowest. My last flight was the day before Thanksgiving (busiest travel day of the year, right?) and I'd say of the available 2/3 of the seats 75% were taken.
8 Times!?! That's impressive. How many times did you have to quarantine?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by denver19
8 Times!?! That's impressive. How many times did you have to quarantine?
I think it was 6 of them.... it's all kind of a blur at this point. My family and I are moving over but I'm still working on the mainland for the time being. It's definitely better being able to test out of quarantine and I'm terrified that option is going to go away. It's also nice now that there is a little more tourism AS has restarted PDX >> OGG non-stops. Going through SEA was becoming quite a hassle.
LIH Prem and denver19 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:39 pm

Sitting here at OGG for my outbound flight and the Covid paperwork line for inbound PAX is hundreds of people deep.... I'd guess it's at least 2X as long as the worst I had it when I waited 1.25 hours.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mtofell
Sitting here at OGG for my outbound flight and the Covid paperwork line for inbound PAX is hundreds of people deep.... I'd guess it's at least 2X as long as the worst I had it when I waited 1.25 hours.
how was your queue for arrival? This reminds me of 2018 arrival at bus for car rental, with or without car rental Fast Track status.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
how was your queue for arrival? This reminds me of 2018 arrival at bus for car rental, with or without car rental Fast Track status.
I arrived back in November, pre-wristband program and that time only waited about 15 minutes. Now that you can screen before boarding at your originating location you can just walk right past the line and out to freedom. It's funny, as I was sitting there I was watching people deplane and roughly half had no wristband and were routed into the line. I don't think they fully understood how much time they had cost themself by not getting their paperwork in order prior to leaving. I asked one of the workers near my terminal at the back of the line and he said it was probably about a 2-hour wait and that was about as bad as he had ever seen it... just bad timing with lots of planes landing.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No major lines yesterday as we were heading back to CA around 3 pm but it was only DFW flight around that time...

Last week with wristbands on we were waived right through and drove out with bags claimed prob 10 min after arrival...
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Maui on the verge of shutting down? The numbers here don't look very good: https://covidactnow.org/us/hawaii-hi...unty?s=1480436
Daily new cases, per 100K people, at 13.2
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by philemer
Is Maui on the verge of shutting down? The numbers here don't look very good: https://covidactnow.org/us/hawaii-hi...unty?s=1480436
Daily new cases, per 100K people, at 13.2
I would be very surprised if Maui, Oahu or the Big Island closed down again. They need the tourists dollars very badly and closing down again would kill the tourism business for some time to come. Not just during the shutdown but who would book into the future with constantly changing rules. They found that out when they dithered with the re-opening.

In fact, just yesterday Kauai changed their rules (yet again) and have now cut the quarantine period to 3 days from 10, IF you stay at a resort bubble for 3 nights AND test negative on a second test before you leave the bubble, OR you have been in the state for 3 nights on another island and have a negative test 72 hours before your departure to Kauai. Both options require an initial test within 72 hours of departure from the mainland to Hawaii.

Of course if things get really bad they will do what they need to do, but short of catastrophic numbers I think Kauai’s changing rules are evidence that they are hurting badly without the tourists. Many of Kauai’s residents are extremely anti tourist right now so this is not something the elected officials would have done without a serious need to do so.
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:53 pm

New Rules Proposed for Maui Would Reduce Gatherings to 5; Further Limit Occupancy and Require 10 p.m. Closing Time at Restaurants and Bars

https://mauinow.com/2020/12/30/new-rules-proposed-for-maui-would-reduce-gatherings-to-5-further-limit-occupancy-and-require-10-p-m-closing-time-at-restaurants-and-bars/

At this moment, I think they are still waiting for Ige to approve the new rules.
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

New Rules Proposed for Maui Would Reduce Gatherings to 5; Further Limit Occupancy and Require 10 p.m. Closing Time at Restaurants and Bars

Good idea. Won't affect most tourists, including me.
mtofell likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.