Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Flew SFO-OGG yesterday. Worksite Lab test...14 hour turnaround. Moved through the process in Maui in probably 10 minutes...pretty easy.

Car Rental is another topic. Hertz doesn't have a QR reader...so either you need the State app, or log on and show your QR code, AND the text below it, which doesn't show when you print the QR code. Long lines of people trying to get good data on their phones inside a concrete parking garage....hopefully Hertz will get the required equipment to read QR codes. Normally they have tons of cars ready to go...nope. Literally each car arriving was quickly snapped up.

Arrived at Grand Wailea just before 4pm. There was absolutely no one in sight, no cars, no one! It looked like one of those "the world has ended" movies where there are only a few survivors of some massive disaster.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 4, 2020 at 11:19 am Reason: moved discussion of rental car experiences from COVID Testing Experiences thread
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Normally they have tons of cars ready to go...nope. Literally each car arriving was quickly snapped up.
This sadly is more of a Hertz thing right now than a Hertz Hawaii thing, I think. I've had this experience recently at DTW and DCA (multiple times). Tough being bankrupt I guess . . .
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:55 am

I was at National Car Rental at OGG back in October and they checked my pink paper, not the QR code. Has this been changed?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by timzheng
I was at National Car Rental at OGG back in October and they checked my pink paper, not the QR code. Has this been changed?
Haven't been through it myself but those I've talked to just needed the pink slip. When they issue it they write your name on the top. My understanding is the QR code is just to navigate through the airport/government process.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The Hertz rep said they needed to visually verify that one is not in quarantine, and that is in the text below the QR code. She made several other people in front of me do the same process of logging into the Hawaii site to read my info. I suspect the State app would also work to display the info quickly. The hotel said the same for me, then accepted the pink sheet for my wife.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Still the same as of November late. Just pink paper.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The Governor quickly approved Maui's Mayor request to shut down bars on the island to prevent the spread of COVID. Bars will be shut down through at least 12/26.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Governor quickly approved Maui's Mayor request to shut down bars on the island to prevent the spread of COVID. Bars will be shut down through at least 12/26.
Seems like a smart, data driven approach given the clusters springing up around bars.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know anything about test turnaround times in Maui? Seems like CVS and Minit Medical are the only two options that don't require a doctor's order, and neither offer rapid testing. Neither guarantee results on any particular timeframe.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Do you know if the restriction is people physically sitting at bars or is it establishments that are primarily bars? I was up in Lahaina tonight and people were sitting at all of the bars that are part of restaurants. Back in Oregon (my other home), restaurants have remained opened for a lot of Covid but no seating at the bars has been allowed since mid-February.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Do you know if the restriction is people physically sitting at bars or is it establishments that are primarily bars? I was up in Lahaina tonight and people were sitting at all of the bars that are part of restaurants. Back in Oregon (my other home), restaurants have remained opened for a lot of Covid but no seating at the bars has been allowed since mid-February.
Its places that primarily serve liquor. Places that primarily serve food cafoodmain open, but still need to follow social distancing guidelines if they have a bar (i.e. no stools closer than 6'.)
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mtofell
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ovid-19-cases/

"The temporary closure requires bars with certified commercial kitchens to close off the bar counter areas, but allows them to continue serving food and alcoholic beverages to patrons."
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
We made it to Maui today - yay! We overnighted in SJC, was worried because of the CA lockdown, but no issues. Other than having to get the hotel to call ubers both ways since the shuttle wasn't running.

Came super prepared - had QR codes for family printed out along with printouts of covid testing. Lot of stress to in planning but really easy experience. We were landing mid day and there were a number of flights before us. Turns out only 26 people on our Southwest flight. So everyone got a row to themselves and then some. Landing in Maui, one out of 4 of my family got randomly temperature checked. The terminal is divided into two one-way traffic areas. Oops, bathroom was on other side, so had to hold it. Many of the gift shops/stores/food places are all closed, sad to see.

We walked till next set of airport staff remind us to take out QR codes and ID, next set of tables they compared the ID numbers to the ones typed in on the safe travels site. Did not ask to see covid tests. About had a heart attack when they ripped up QR code printouts (thought still had to show to car rental and hotel) but was informed to use safe travels app, which had another line of information showing approved and negative test. No on site covid test nor followup covid test requested. Car rental place (Alamo) did ask to see QR code and that confirmation. Strangely, there was a guy there trying to pay with a debit card, that did not have a covid test. They denied rental and he had to walk back to terminal to try and figure out how to get home to quarantine. Hotel - Andaz Maui, valet did not ask for QR code, but each person's covid test instead.

Hope this helps some folks - it was actually fairly easy and we are very pleased to be here. It's quite empty and nice and relaxing. Before you go off your rocker though, mask wearing in town seems good, but on beaches, especially one of the more local ones, it was non existent. So be prepared.
philemer, Furby, Marko123 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Great report I am sure it will be helpful to many.

But a point of clarification: Why would anyone wear a mask on the beach? That is overkill and pointless. Just find some space in the sand that is not close to anyone else. Ridiculoso
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Great report I am sure it will be helpful to many.

But a point of clarification: Why would anyone wear a mask on the beach? That is overkill and pointless. Just find some space in the sand that is not close to anyone else. Ridiculoso
The law is wherever you are, inside or out, you must be masked if you're within 6' of anyone you don't live with. Makes sense on crowded beaches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.