Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If new restrictions are put into place along the lines of Weatherboy's comment, then for tourist purposes that would effectively be a quarantine. If you can't go to the beach or hike (two extremely low risk activities for COVID where nobody has provided any risk evidence), then there's no much point in going to Maui. Restaurant takeout only would be manageable.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Doppy
If new restrictions are put into place along the lines of Weatherboy's comment, then for tourist purposes that would effectively be a quarantine. If you can't go to the beach or hike (two extremely low risk activities for COVID where nobody has provided any risk evidence), then there's no much point in going to Maui.
Earlier this year there were always at least a couple of hiking trails that weren't closed on Oahu and you could still use the ocean just couldn't linger on the beach. We did a ton of hiking and surfing during the lockdown. Was Maui the same?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
And this is exactly why many of us healthy people will not be paying $$ to vacation in Maui anytime soon. Because the rules and restrictions are a moving target. If I cant order takeout and go to the beach - or worse yet quarantine even with a negative test - I might as well go to Mexico or even the desert out west.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 1, 2020 at 11:48 pm
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:24 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Boraxo
And this is exactly why many of us healthy people will not be paying $$ to vacation in Maui anytime soon. Because the rules and restrictions are a moving target. If I cant order takeout and go to the beach - or worse yet quarantine even with a positive test - I might as well go to Mexico or even the desert out west.
Call me a Cockeyed Optimist (get it, lyrics from South Pacific) but having mucked two weeks in November I just rebooked a week in May. By then Im betting an inoculation will have kicked in with proof of shots sufficient to travel. But Im a realist too, everything refundable!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Yes. Beaches were closed and restauants were closed (except for take out); people got tickets or were arrested if they were caught doing "non-essential" travel on the island. Basically you could leave your house for food or healthcare. But not much else.
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I don't think the ocean was ever closed. The worst it got was you couldn't stop/sit/lie on the beach but as long as you were going to/from the ocean you were okay. Of course, all of the public parks were closed so this really only applied to people living oceanfront. Police were regularly driving the beach on 4-wheelers in front of our condo complex at Sugar Beach and making sure people weren't stopping.

They were pretty serious about enforcing the stay-at-home order. A nurse in our complex was pulled over twice in a week on her way to the hospital and questioned about where she was going. I was out usually once every day or two for groceries, etc. and was never stopped (she is blond and cute so that could have been it too).

It's currently close to normal-ish around here. The biggest thing is just having to wear a mask everywhere. Things are generally open and there aren't too many restritions or lines to get into places.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Boy we are down to our final backup plans for Maui.... down to a razor's edge, T-14 days and counting!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I don't think the ocean was ever closed. The worst it got was you couldn't stop/sit/lie on the beach but as long as you were going to/from the ocean you were okay. Of course, all of the public parks were closed so this really only applied to people living oceanfront. Police were regularly driving the beach on 4-wheelers in front of our condo complex at Sugar Beach and making sure people weren't stopping.
Yes, that's how it was on Oahu, with the exception that it was indeed legal to cross beach parks in order to access the ocean. No loitering in the park or on the beach. So it was legal to drive to the beach, walk through the beach park and across the beach with your board, and get in the water. I don't know if Maui had the same exception however.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
West Maui is functioning. If you are planning to come to Kaanapali, or Kapalua I think it will work out fine. Whaler's Village is ope, Hula Grill, Leilani's and Monkey Pod are open. Lahaina Town is actually a little busy. Whale watch boats are going out, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin are open. The KBH opened yesterday. Warning:
The KBH knocked over the Tiki Bar! They are building some giant "Duke's" style restaurant out by the walkway, and they knocked over the Tiki Bar! I hear Dale is going to work at the new place (Oh yeah!), but c'mon; you may as well push over the Pioneer Inn.

The beach is quiet-ish, but visitors are here. Covid #s are very low, and the weather is great. I would encourage the trip to west Maui if you are thinking about it.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by denver19
West Maui is functioning. If you are planning to come to Kaanapali, or Kapalua I think it will work out fine. Whaler's Village is ope, Hula Grill, Leilani's and Monkey Pod are open. Lahaina Town is actually a little busy. Whale watch boats are going out, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin are open. The KBH opened yesterday. Warning:
The KBH knocked over the Tiki Bar! They are building some giant "Duke's" style restaurant out by the walkway, and they knocked over the Tiki Bar! I hear Dale is going to work at the new place (Oh yeah!), but c'mon; you may as well push over the Pioneer Inn.

The beach is quiet-ish, but visitors are here. Covid #s are very low, and the weather is great. I would encourage the trip to west Maui if you are thinking about it.
We're in Wailea now. Everything very nice, almost like normal. What is KBH?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
We're in Wailea now. Everything very nice, almost like normal. What is KBH?
Ka'anapli Beach Hotel. A small, old timey, hotel just south of the Sheraton at Black Rock. The say they are the "most Hawaiian Hotel on Ka'anapali. They had a great little bar (The Tiki Bar) with a few long time bartenders who were real west Maui institutions. Another local couple whipped up fish sandwiches and burgers in a nearby hut. There was a nearby stage for a local Hula show. That's all gone now, and its being replaced with a giant Dukes restaurant. Oh well, the sands of time and all that.

West Maui is good, these days. I really feel for the working people of Kauai; what Mayor Kawakami did was really knee jerk.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by denver19
Ka'anapli Beach Hotel. A small, old timey, hotel just south of the Sheraton at Black Rock. The say they are the "most Hawaiian Hotel on Ka'anapali. They had a great little bar (The Tiki Bar) with a few long time bartenders who were real west Maui institutions. Another local couple whipped up fish sandwiches and burgers in a nearby hut. There was a nearby stage for a local Hula show. That's all gone now, and its being replaced with a giant Dukes restaurant. Oh well, the sands of time and all that.

West Maui is good, these days. I really feel for the working people of Kauai; what Mayor Kawakami did was really knee jerk.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I agree -- really overreacting on the part of Mayor Kawakami. The people here in the Wailea resort area are very happy to be back at work. Resorts are functional but quiet, with some limited hours.

Went to MonkeyPod in Ka'anapali last week and had a great meal.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Went to MonkeyPod in Ka'anapali last week and had a great meal.
MonkeyPod in Wailea is closed though. It reopened on Nov 19th and then closed down again on Nov 24th because 3 employees got COVID...
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jailer
Call me a Cockeyed Optimist (get it, lyrics from South Pacific) but having mucked two weeks in November I just rebooked a week in May. By then Im betting an inoculation will have kicked in with proof of shots sufficient to travel. But Im a realist too, everything refundable!
Based on current projections, May is the earliest people who don't have priority (~140m Americans) could start getting vaccines, unless some additional vaccine candidates get approved early next year.

So if you're not in the priority list you might get your first vaccine right by May. Either way it seems like the case counts by then will be much lower due to (1) ~100m priority people having received two vaccinations, (2) warm weather -> people back outdoors, (3) huge number of people who will get COVID over the next couple months and have presumed immunity, on top of the 14m confirmed who already had it (with CDC recently estimating that as many as 8x more people may have had COVID but not been diagnosed).

My guess is that for a while there will be a dual track approach of either proof of vaccination or proof of negative test required for travel. The travel passport apps the airlines and travel groups are working on all have both of these options.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Lanai had a small outbreak but from what I've told, it's fairly minor. Do you have specific questions on visiting Lanai?
Thinking about a day trip from Maui to Lanai to visit the cat sanctuary. Advisable/tips? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Doppy
This article says he will decide on Friday. It also says that one of the things he will look at is whether the 14 day average case counts are in the double digits (it was seven as of Saturday and three new cases were reported on Sunday).

https://www.kitv.com/story/42977869/...d19-cases-rise
Not good... today up to 14? https://mauinow.com/2020/12/03/dec-3...tate-2-deaths/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 4, 2020 at 5:45 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Average of 7 over the last 14 days though, I think Thanksgiving testing anomalies are probably at play here (few tests on Thanksgiving Day, followed by surge testing options over the weekend). There would need to be >40 cases tomorrow to bring the 14 day average to double digits.

Will be interesting to watch what happens over the next few days as the holiday interruption passes, but the potential for holiday-related spikes increases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.