Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by norge
Lanai is pretty spectacular.(snip)...
Did you go to the cat sanctuary? IMO that's the best part of Lana'i.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:56 am

Unfortunately not. Lots of beach time, snorkeling, and horseback riding...
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Bad arrival experience. The plane touched down at 12:20 (a bit early), but we waited on the runway for 75 minutes. No gates were available that had the right quarantine setup.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by david22
Bad arrival experience. The plane touched down at 12:20 (a bit early), but we waited on the runway for 75 minutes. No gates were available that had the right quarantine setup.
Wow.... how long was the wait in the terminal getting through the paperwork process? I've been through twice - once was about an hour and fifteen minutes. The other was under five. Hopefully, you got through quickly so the time sitting on the runway wasn't a complete waste.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Wow.... how long was the wait in the terminal getting through the paperwork process? I've been through twice - once was about an hour and fifteen minutes. The other was under five. Hopefully, you got through quickly so the time sitting on the runway wasn't a complete waste.
We were in row 2, so I was off the plane fast and we power walked towards the existing queue, which I guess was clearing from a previous arrival.
It took about 15 minutes plus maybe 5 minutes at the table. We got through the process relatively fast because we had QR codes and everything uploaded. Overhearing parts of the discussion at stations adjacent to us, some people were far less prepared.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by david22
We were in row 2, so I was off the plane fast and we power walked towards the existing queue, which I guess was clearing from a previous arrival.
It took about 15 minutes plus maybe 5 minutes at the table. We got through the process relatively fast because we had QR codes and everything uploaded. Overhearing parts of the discussion at stations adjacent to us, some people were far less prepared.
where did you arrive from, and what was the airline?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
where did you arrive from, and what was the airline?
It was the daily direct flight from Oakland to Maui on Hawaiian. (I booked out of SFO originally but with reduced demand, HA cut their SFO to OGG non-stop.)
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Maui Mayor Victorino told reporters today that he's going to decide how to lock Maui down further, if needed, by Friday. He suggested that he could shut down restaurants/bars, force additional capacity constraints on public buildings (stores, gyms, etc.), and create restrictions of movement to control the spread of COVID on-island. He did stress he's not ready to exit the pre-travel testing program like Kauai did, but will explore options in the coming days.

I suppose he wants to set expectations of returning residents / guests who may attempt coming to Maui for the December holidays.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui Mayor Victorino told reporters today that he's going to decide how to lock Maui down further, if needed, by Friday. He suggested that he could shut down restaurants/bars, force additional capacity constraints on public buildings (stores, gyms, etc.), and create restrictions of movement to control the spread of COVID on-island. He did stress he's not ready to exit the pre-travel testing program like Kauai did, but will explore options in the coming days.

I suppose he wants to set expectations of returning residents / guests who may attempt coming to Maui for the December holidays.
Do you mean he will make the decision by Friday, or the decision will take effect on Friday, after he makes the decision today?

This would be consistent with the statement by the Mayor's spokesman on Friday, that the Mayor was not going to alter the Safe Travels program.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:46 am
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Do you mean he will make the decision by Friday, or the decision will take effect on Friday, after he makes the decision today?
This article says he will decide on Friday. It also says that one of the things he will look at is whether the 14 day average case counts are in the double digits (it was seven as of Saturday and three new cases were reported on Sunday).

https://www.kitv.com/story/42977869/...d19-cases-rise
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Is the true Precheck lane open at OGG?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Is the true Precheck lane open at OGG?
Yes, its open.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:00 pm

Did Maui go into stay-at-home level restrictions back in the spring? How was it like for restaurants? Were the beaches ever closed?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timzheng
Did Maui go into stay-at-home level restrictions back in the spring? How was it like for restaurants? Were the beaches ever closed?
Yes. Beaches were closed and restauants were closed (except for take out); people got tickets or were arrested if they were caught doing "non-essential" travel on the island. Basically you could leave your house for food or healthcare. But not much else.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Yes. Beaches were closed and restauants were closed (except for take out); people got tickets or were arrested if they were caught doing "non-essential" travel on the island. Basically you could leave your house for food or healthcare. But not much else.
I was there and it wasnt at all that bad other than the restaurant thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.