Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Yikes. The coconut wireless says that Mayor Victorino will shut everything down at 12 noon on Monday. Have you given any thought to leaving before then?
We値l figure it out tomorrow, but most likely will leave Mon. At least we値l have gotten 4 of 6 nights of our honeymoon.

Anyone know of any great places in Honolulu? Any recs? We値l probably head there for a few nights before heading home.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by exp
Are the hotels and resorts providing full meal service? Sit-down dining inside?
As of right now, full meal service is available at the Four Seasons. Most tables are outside anyway.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by norge
We値l figure it out tomorrow, but most likely will leave Mon. At least we値l have gotten 4 of 6 nights of our honeymoon.

Anyone know of any great places in Honolulu? Any recs? We値l probably head there for a few nights before heading home.
You should have the concierge assist you in getting to a sister resort ASAP. While they're shutting down access to flights/boats Monday night, I'd recommend moving out of there ASAP tomorrow. With the emergency, they may test everyone trying to move around...so you should be able to use that test to test out of quarantine on the other islands.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Given your interest in Lanai, I would recommend The Kahala hotel. Get an Ocean Front or Lagoon suite.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:08 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
As a recurring visitor to the Maui YMCA I知 on their email distribution list. Now that Maui is opening up, the Y is prohibiting guests: members only. It feels like a microcosm of how visitors will be viewed by locals, but I hope that I am mistaken.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jailer
As a recurring visitor to the Maui YMCA I知 on their email distribution list. Now that Maui is opening up, the Y is prohibiting guests: members only. It feels like a microcosm of how visitors will be viewed by locals, but I hope that I am mistaken.
That could also be a way to meet capacity controls set by Maui County.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Jailer
Actually our YMCA is NC started this in June when we reopened as well.... capacity + too hard to contact trace visitors.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:48 am

Landed in OGG at 9:25 PM on last night (Friday). Full flight. We were around row 15. There was a line of about 6 groups to show their QR code/documents. Line moved fast and we were out in under 10 minutes with pink paper in hand. We were asked to show ID, and a physical copy of our negative test.

It looked like almost everyone from the flight was at the baggage claim by the time bags came out.

Took the little tram to the rental car center. Avis app wouldn't let us pick up our car without going to the counter (the upstairs counter was closed, everyone directed to the Preferred counter downstairs). They asked to see our pink paper. The same clerk walked over to the car exit to open the gate for us.

Overall, great and painless experience (even our Colour shallow nasal swab). That said, the last commercial flight to land before us did so an hour before.

Arrival schedule at OGG: https://flightaware.com/live/airport...rivals/airline
Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:45 pm

Yep. Just got a note from the Four Seasons saying 12 non guest facing employees tested positive. Ugh. The note said they would help get us off the island if it closed.
Can you describe how the rest of your abbreviated visit to Lanai went and if you had difficulty going elsewhere?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Can you describe how the rest of your abbreviated visit to Lanai went and if you had difficulty going elsewhere?
Lanai is pretty spectacular. Despite the outbreak, I always felt safe due to the constant cleaning and social distancing. We knew the mayor asked the governor to issue a shelter in place order 3 days before the governor signed the order. The Four Seasons told us to relax- when the governor signed the order, they would get us off the island.

We were able to enjoy 4 nights of our honeymoon (out of 6 planned nights). On Monday, we went horseback riding. By the time we returned, the governor issued the shelter in place order and the hotel sprang into action. They own a fleet of 5 planes and efficiently transferred all guests back to Honolulu. We intentionally scheduled a flight for 7pm to hang out as long as possible. It was a scene out of the twilight zone as we were one of the last to leave, but still great. The staff assured us that Larry Ellison would take care of them during the shutdown and we were comforted by the prevailing upbeat attitude that no one would be laid off and they planned to open as soon as permitted.

We spent 2 nights in Honolulu. Not nearly as nice as Lanai, but we feel fortunate regardless- in the greater scheme of things, the fact we even got a honeymoon was a miracle in itself. I felt bad for all the shops and restaurants that were clearly struggling.

As an aside, Hawaii Air announced that they would stop flying to Lanai in January. It was listed as a EAS location and the funding ran out. It’s a good thing Lanai Air expanded from zero aircraft to 5 in the last 2 years, otherwise it might be challenging to get there.
nnn likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:16 am

We spent 2 nights in Honolulu. Not nearly as nice as Lanai, but we feel fortunate regardless- in the greater scheme of things, the fact we even got a honeymoon was a miracle in itself. I felt bad for all the shops and restaurants that were clearly struggling.

As an aside, Hawaii Air announced that they would stop flying to Lanai in January. It was listed as a EAS location and the funding ran out. It痴 a good thing Lanai Air expanded from zero aircraft to 5 in the last 2 years, otherwise it might be challenging to get there.
Did the Four Seasons pay for your flights off the island and comp your stay in Honolulu? Did you need to go through any additional COVID testing yourself to move around?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Did the Four Seasons pay for your flights off the island and comp your stay in Honolulu? Did you need to go through any additional COVID testing yourself to move around?
The Lanai flights were included in the promotion we took advantage of. Everything about the experience was first class. Basically, all I needed to do was take a flight to HNL and Four Seasons took care of the rest. Someone picked us up as soon as we passed the QR reader and whisked us to the Lanai Air hanger, where they have a sweet, sweet lounge. Although our flight was scheduled for 4pm, we got there early; since we were the only ones on the flight, we departed 30 mins early after some quick refreshments. Once I arrived in Lanai, a shuttle pulled up plane side to pick us up and took us to the resort. Time from touchdown in HNL to arrival at resort was a mind blowing 1 hr 20 mins.

Once we were required to leave, we simply booked a flight out, the system automatically set up a shuttle. We departed 630pm for a 7pm flight (the resort is 25 mins from the airport). Once again, we pulled up plane side and departed within 3 mins. Time from resort to HNL was 55 mins.

Keep in mind that the Four Seasons effectively owns the 5 planes of Lanai Air. They also own a pair of $4.6M catamarans that are sensational to take on excursions like snorkeling (which included dolphin spotting!)

They did not pay for the hotel in Honolulu, but we also didn’t pay for nights we didn’t stay there.

Oahu did not require any additional testing. That was a key factor in staying 2 nights there.

Last edited by norge; Nov 1, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:55 pm

As an aside, Hawaii Air announced that they would stop flying to Lanai in January. It was listed as a EAS location and the funding ran out. It’s a good thing Lanai Air expanded from zero aircraft to 5 in the last 2 years, otherwise it might be challenging to get there.
Thanks for the great reports ... however on the EAS flights ...

Ohana by Hawaiian attempted to end EAS service from Honolulu to Lanai and Molokai November 1. They were required by the DOT EAS contract to give 90 days notice, so Ohana by Hawaiian pushed the dates to January. As far as I know the EAS funding is still there, it's never been reported as being removed. And I believe Molukele Air still flies there, so they aren't actually cut off from scheduled air service yet.

https://mauinow.com/2020/10/26/ohana...t-mid-january/

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 1, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thanks for the great reports ... however on the EAS flights ...

Ohana by Hawaiian attempted to end EAS service from Honolulu to Lanai and Molokai November 1. They were required by the DOT EAS contract to give 90 days notice, so Ohana by Hawaiian pushed the dates to January. As far as I know the EAS funding is still there, it's never been reported as being removed. And I believe Molukele Air still flies there, so they aren't actually cut off from scheduled air service yet.

https://mauinow.com/2020/10/26/ohana...t-mid-january/

-David
Thanks for the clarification - I read one article in a rush and incorrectly posted from memory.

Regardless, it will be more difficult to get to Lanai once Ohana stops operating (without Lanai Air). I find it hard to imagine that someone would fly into Maui airport, get in a taxi to the ferry terminal, and take a ferry to Lanai.

Also, Molukele's service is limited. Without Lanai Air, the possibility of a Lanai vacation would be impossible for some because an overnight stay in HNL on either/both the inbound and outbound would be a deal breaker (I was on a pretty tight vacation window / Covid rules prevent staying overnight in Honolulu and then going to Lanai/Maui County the next day). The ability to get from HNL gate to resort in 90 minutes and vice versa is a big deal to me. If Lanai Air was not an option, I would have vacationed on one of the other islands with a direct flight to the mainland.

Edit: One more logistics point. When I spoke to Lanai Air when making my flight reservation, I was assured that they would track my flight from the mainland. If our flight was delayed, they would ensure we got to Lanai, even if it meant flying an "unscheduled" flight. That meant a lot to us. Also, they don't have a set schedule. If a couple people fly in at the same time they will fly them together, but otherwise will fly guests to Lanai and back as needed.
LIH Prem and ExpatExp like this.

Last edited by norge; Nov 2, 2020 at 12:04 am
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:48 pm

Edit: One more logistics point. When I spoke to Lanai Air when making my flight reservation, I was assured that they would track my flight from the mainland. If our flight was delayed, they would ensure we got to Lanai, even if it meant flying an "unscheduled" flight. That meant a lot to us. Also, they don't have a set schedule. If a couple people fly in at the same time they will fly them together, but otherwise will fly guests to Lanai and back as needed.
Yeah, Larry realized he needed an airline after buying 98% of Lanai. Initially he bought Island Air, remember them? And proceeded to lose a ton of money, so that didn't last very long. From what you've told us, Lanai air seems to be a much better option.

Thanks again for the details and congratulations!

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.