Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs and FlyinHawaiian, Hawaii Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for Maui County

Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
In October, our plan is to spend five days in a Wailea condo. Hardly anything we ever do in Maui is indoors (outside of our condo), so just about any restriction short of a quarantine requirement would be no biggie for us.

If they reinstate a quarantine mandate even for fully-vaccinated persons who test negative prior to arrival, well, I'll just shake my head.
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
County mayors met with Gov. David Ige on Friday to discuss the possibility of further restrictions as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to spiral out of control.

The meeting came as the state broke its single-day record with 1,035 new COVID-19 cases and nine coronavirus-related deaths.

County mayors are looking at various policies such as voluntary lockdowns or vaccine passports for restaurant patrons.

Maui Mayor Michael Victorino asked residents to participate in a voluntary 21-day lockdown.

“We’re appealing to visitors and residents to make these responsible choices and avoid risky behavior,” said Maui County Managing Director Sandy Baz.

“Please consider voluntarily restricting activities, essential needs only like grocery shopping, doctor visits. Avoid gatherings, especially indoor gatherings with family and friends that are outside of your household.”

Baz urged visitors to remain at their resort accommodations and not venture to areas like Hana where there have been clusters of COVID-19 infection.

Victorino warned that if case counts did not decrease in the coming weeks, more restrictions would need to be put in place such as limiting bar operation hours and reducing or canceling elective medical procedures to increase hospital capacity.

Victorino currently has a request submitted to the governor to amend Maui County’s public health care emergency rules, but did not elaborate on the exact changes that were requested.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...ons-in-hawaii/
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: AS 75K
Here's some Maui-specific news on a vaccine card/passport: https://mauinow.com/2021/09/03/break...ss-on-sept-15/

Looks similar to Oahu but maybe a bit less restrictive. All the details are still being worked out.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I will be interested whether as a doubly vaccinated Canadian planning to come for 9 days from Oct 7, will I be able to enter restaurants, retail establishments and other indoor venues, using the Maui vaccine card/passport system.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I will be interested whether as a doubly vaccinated Canadian planning to come for 9 days from Oct 7, will I be able to enter restaurants, retail establishments and other indoor venues, using the Maui vaccine card/passport system.
I just talked to some Canadians last night and their vax cards were not accepted by Safetravels and they had to test. I'd be surprised if Maui varies from the Safetravels/general Hawaii methods.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mtofell
I just talked to some Canadians last night and their vax cards were not accepted by Safetravels and they had to test. I'd be surprised if Maui varies from the Safetravels/general Hawaii methods.

is there some person/desk/department I can email - to see if in mid Oct this outcome can be prevented if we were to come.
It does not makes sense that Maui (or the state of Hawaii) would allow double vaccinated travelers to enter (with a PCR test required withinn 72 hours of arrival) but then would not allow access to indoor establishments without further covid testing. Of course, the safetravels program is new - so it is possibly understandable that right now it is really only set up for Hawaiian (or US mainland) residents, and not international travelers who are otherwise allowed to enter the state.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
is there some person/desk/department I can email - to see if in mid Oct this outcome can be prevented if we were to come.
It does not makes sense that Maui (or the state of Hawaii) would allow double vaccinated travelers to enter (with a PCR test required withinn 72 hours of arrival) but then would not allow access to indoor establishments without further covid testing. Of course, the safetravels program is new - so it is possibly understandable that right now it is really only set up for Hawaiian (or US mainland) residents, and not international travelers who are otherwise allowed to enter the state.
I think your Covid test would work but only for 72 hours from the time it was taken... but I'm just guessing on that. I can't imagine the single test you take will let you pass for your entire vacation. The Canadian aspect of it is just something I'm not familiar with. As far as getting a hold of someone, good luck. Your best bet would be to talk to other Canadians that have been through the process. Maybe the moderators or someone here can point you to a more relevant area of the board with Canada-specific information.

Fwiw.... by far the majority of things in Maui are outdoors. Virtually every restaurant has outdoor seating so even without being approved (for lack of a better term) you would still be able to do quite a bit. I've actually often wondered what qualified as "indoors". Few places are indoors in the sense you are used to it in Canada. Basically, places have roofs but no windows or walls.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Fwiw.... by far the majority of things in Maui are outdoors. Virtually every restaurant has outdoor seating so even without being approved (for lack of a better term) you would still be able to do quite a bit. I've actually often wondered what qualified as "indoors". Few places are indoors in the sense you are used to it in Canada. Basically, places have roofs but no windows or walls.
The only truly indoor dining I did on Maui this summer was at Poi by the Pound, and that was only because there were only 2 other parties in there when I walked in (otherwise I would have taken the food to go). Every other restaurant I went to I wouldn't consider indoors. At Kimo's, I was sitting in a covered section but it's open to the ocean on one side and they had the windows open to Front Street on the other. Even Lineage had an outdoor section and I'd always prefer to sit outdoors if that is an option during a pandemic.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
The only truly indoor dining I did on Maui this summer was at Poi by the Pound, and that was only because there were only 2 other parties in there when I walked in (otherwise I would have taken the food to go). Every other restaurant I went to I wouldn't consider indoors. At Kimo's, I was sitting in a covered section but it's open to the ocean on one side and they had the windows open to Front Street on the other. Even Lineage had an outdoor section and I'd always prefer to sit outdoors if that is an option during a pandemic.
I was at Lineage back in March and they refused to serve outside due to "lack of staff." Indoor only. I really like the place, but I haven't been back after that. Made no sense whatsoever.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:51 pm

Does Maui accept Canadian vaccine passport/certificate as proof of vaccination for the purpose of entry into restaurants? Any recent reports or updates? From above it seems they don't...

I thought you still had to have proof of vax or test to dine on patios- is that not the case?

Last edited by tylerc; Nov 2, 2021 at 6:52 am
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by tylerc
Does Maui accept Canadian vaccine passport/certificate as proof of vaccination for the purpose of entry into restaurants? Any recent reports or updates? From above it seems they don't...

I thought you still had to have proof of vax or test to dine on patios- is that not the case?
We were on Maui Oct 2-14. We only showed proof of vaxx for eating indoors. Not for patios, or any mostly open restaurants. For example, we ate at Cool Cat, Capt Jacks and Waikiki Brewery, all on Front, all open rooms, no proof of Vax. (Waikiki Brewery did do a name for contact tracing). We also ate at Outback in Kihei, fully indoors. Had to show our CDC cards.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
We were on Maui Oct 2-14. We only showed proof of vaxx for eating indoors. Not for patios, or any mostly open restaurants. For example, we ate at Cool Cat, Capt Jacks and Waikiki Brewery, all on Front, all open rooms, no proof of Vax. (Waikiki Brewery did do a name for contact tracing). We also ate at Outback in Kihei, fully indoors. Had to show our CDC cards.
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like for the most part we will be ok under the current guidelines. It would be nice if they would formally recognize Canada's equivalent to the CDC card...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:46 am

Vacs and Unvacs travelers

If I read new stuff from Maui County. A unvacinated person will need to show proof of negative covid results of a test taken within 48 hours for hotels and indoor restaurants. Has anyone had experience with this and how they handle it? I am vaccinated but one of the family isn't. Do they ask for everyone staying at hotel to show vaccination status or negative covid result? What about boat tours?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by tnt2012
If I read new stuff from Maui County. A unvacinated person will need to show proof of negative covid results of a test taken within 48 hours for hotels and indoor restaurants. Has anyone had experience with this and how they handle it? I am vaccinated but one of the family isn't. Do they ask for everyone staying at hotel to show vaccination status or negative covid result? What about boat tours?
Restaurants/boat tours, etc. will undoubtedly ask for everyone's card or test. Hotels should if they are organized enough. Hawaii has had a longstanding rule (long before Covid) that they need the names of every person staying in a room so they can account for them in an emergency (at least this is what the management at the condo building where I have a vacation rental tells me). This would seemingly make it pretty easy to verify each person's vaccine status.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Restaurants/boat tours, etc. will undoubtedly ask for everyone's card or test. Hotels should if they are organized enough. Hawaii has had a longstanding rule (long before Covid) that they need the names of every person staying in a room so they can account for them in an emergency (at least this is what the management at the condo building where I have a vacation rental tells me). This would seemingly make it pretty easy to verify each person's vaccine status.
Yes, and no. Sort of. On our arrival on Maui, we debated taking our wristbands off, and decided to leave them on until we were settled in. At both the car rental place, and the condo, wearing the wristband was enough to get by. The employees in both cases said they saw our wrist bands, and that was fine. We were "checked".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.