COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

This thread is superseded by: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2050531-new-covid-restrictions-city-county-honolulu-eff-8-25-2021-a.html
Print Wikipost

COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
I was vaccinated in Hawaii and I can’t get a state digital card (SMART card).
You aren't the only one.

-David
Finkface likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by manda99
My odd concern with all this is that I somehow have a CDC card with only two lines on the front so my booster record is on the back. Clear would only take one photo of the front and safe travels only lets you upload one image. I've got this worked around in Clear now because I was able to use my Illinois QR code, but I can't be the only person with this situation.
The vaccination site at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, the largest in the world, just handed you a vaccine card with the date/dose/manufacturer/site ID information pre-printed. You were responsible for adding your name to the card. The site handed you a second card with the same information when you received your second dose This site served 27,000 people PER DAY when it was operational, so there will be hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people with two vaccine cards. Fortunately California state operates a good on-line service which produces a record of your vaccinations.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Interesting report about the hospitalization rate vs. cases decoupling, which has been happening with each successive wave, which results in a lower hospitalization to case ratio: https://www.khon2.com/always-investi...ng-with-cases/

The issue over the summer of course was an extremely high case count, which overwhelmed the hospitals even though the ratio of hospitalizations to cases was only about half of that during the initial wave. And this wave is running at about 2-3 times the number of cases there were over the summer.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
It is interesting to note that the new cases in the last 14 days equate to more than 20% of all cases since Hawaii started tracking them in 2020.

It is sad seeing restaurants and hotels hit by the surge of cases impacting their staff and/or subjecting healthy staff to quarantine due to possible exposure. There were many venues that had somewhat big plans to have New Year's Eve dinners (even outside) but had to cancel in the 11th hour due to positive COVID tests among staffers and/or other staff unable to work due to quarantine. That has to hurt businesses, especially small mom & pop places, that invested in having food & drink for NYE only to cancel in the end. (And a bad experience for customers....locals and tourists alike...who had their plans unexpectedly cancel on them.)
Sad, but should be fully expected right now. I think Hawaii tends to be more careful is these situations than they would in **fill in the blank** mainland state.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Sad, but should be fully expected right now. I think Hawaii tends to be more careful is these situations than they would in **fill in the blank** mainland state.
Only because the heatthcare system has always been so precariously fragile. Most mainland cities are better equiped for things than Hawaii as a state is.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
From my perspective, I hope this doesn't entice Gov. Ige into ratcheting down on "Safetravels". There was some quick mention of that last week. Yes numbers are rising in a kind of shocking fashion, but we did the 2 week quarantine and here on Maui it led to 40% unemployment. Many people's lives were really crushed. And here we are; we could have had 3,000 cases per day without crushing the economy. It looks like if you close down again, you get Covid as soon as you open.
One other thing to note: If 3,000 cases are reported in a day,how many new cases were there really? Asymptomatic, and people who just stay at home for a few days aren't part of that number. I have relatives here on Maui that got Covid, isolated at home for ten days and then went back to work. I don't think they were ever part of any kind of case tally.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:32 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by denver19
One other thing to note: If 3,000 cases are reported in a day,how many new cases were there really? .
The answer across the nation...easily multiple-millions that can't find tests and just tough it out, so do some math to find Hawaii's number . And I'm sure many of the recorded tests are minor symptoms. Hell, if I feel sick I am going to test even if it's not severe.

Let's just keep high hopes the mega-hospitalization doesn't follow. Best to us all this year!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by wunderpit
The answer across the nation...easily multiple-millions that can't find tests and just tough it out, so do some math to find Hawaii's number . And I'm sure many of the recorded tests are minor symptoms. Hell, if I feel sick I am going to test even if it's not severe.

Let's just keep high hopes the mega-hospitalization doesn't follow. Best to us all this year!
That's my point. You feel lousy, you go to Walgreens, buy a test and come up positive. Do you report that to somebody so it gets included in the daily numbers? I suspect that only the numbers at "drive through" facilities etc get counted. So I don't know what the multiplier is, but it's big.

Last edited by denver19; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You aren't the only one.

-David
I loaded my HI vaccination details into CLEAR, so if I need a digital vaccination passport, i can use CLEAR.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Coincidentally, Hawaii’s total Covid cases track closely with the county I live in. It’s interesting to compare over the last 1.5 years, but case numbers have more or less been close to each other.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:17 am

There's even talk of reverting back to pre-Safe Travels and forcing everyone into 10 days quarantine regardless of tests and vaccination.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:19 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by iusepina
There's even talk of reverting back to pre-Safe Travels and forcing everyone into 10 days quarantine regardless of tests and vaccination.
by whom? Source?
ExpatExp and mtofell like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by iusepina
I've heard of many things but that is something on no ones radar. The most strict thing I've heard is requiring arriving guests to present negative test results within 48 hours of their departure to Hawaii even if they're fully vaccinated. And while Maui is rolling out their own policy of defining fully vaccinated as shots+booster, the same is being discussed for statewide policy.

Other than that, there's no appetite to shut down travel by going to pre-Safe Travels anywhere in government.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:09 pm
formerly wunderpit

Flew UA 1295 LAX > LIH today. 16 people in First, and no more than 20 in all of economy. Lots of high quality masks being used around the airport and on the flight. We opted to wear N95’s…not exactly fun. I could never work in a hospital during all of this madness. .
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:20 am

Safe Travels is Changing

Governor Ige confirmed that Safe Travels is indeed changing to require a booster to be considered fully vaccinated to enter the state. He didn't give a specific date for the change yet, but said it would be at least 2 weeks away to allow people the chance to boost up.

He is also stongly urging island Mayors to limit access to public spaces (restaurants, gyms, theaters, attractions) to only those that are boosted, but also added that it'll be up to Mayors to enforce such a policy change. Right now Honolulu and Maui counties have the most strict access rules in the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.