Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current COVID Restrictions for City & County of Honolulu

Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The current Safe Access Oahu program ends on March 6, 2022.

Additional details may be found here: https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu

As of July 8, 2021, Honolulu is under Tier 5 https://www.oneoahu.org/reopening-strategy
Print Wikipost

Current COVID Restrictions for City & County of Honolulu

Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exp
A lot of restaurants seem to be food trucks or like shacks on narrow roads.

It's a wonder if they have contactless credit card terminals.

Expecting them to scan QR codes for vaccine passports seem to be expecting a lot.
Isn't it only required for indoor dining? Depending on your definition of indoor dining, you could say that I only dine indoors in Hawaii a handful of times during any given vacation. If you consider a place that has a roof but is open to the air on the sides to be "outdoors", then most restaurants especially in tourist areas are outdoors, not indoors.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Are there any recent on-the-ground reports to confirm that the iOS 15 Apple Wallet digital vaccine card is being accepted by restaurants/businesses in Hawaii? (I can confirm that it is a SMART card that can be digitally verified using the Verifier App / Commons project....but not sure if Hawaii hospitality merchants are required to do so each time, or just visually inspect and compare name to photo ID)
Was in HNL over thanksgiving and used the Apple wallet digital card, the CLEAR app health record, and a copy of the CDC card at various times. In all cases, the food place asked to see the details of the vaccination to confirm fully vaccinated status and also a photo ID to confirm ID. None of the places we went to used QR scanners or seemed to have the ability to do so.

Overall, every place seemed to have a well organized approach The only minor inconvenience was fishing out the ID from wallet etc.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by samplat
Was in HNL over thanksgiving and used the Apple wallet digital card, the CLEAR app health record, and a copy of the CDC card at various times. In all cases, the food place asked to see the details of the vaccination to confirm fully vaccinated status and also a photo ID to confirm ID. None of the places we went to used QR scanners or seemed to have the ability to do so.
Similar experience.

For instance, even at my local gym here in the Bay Area, the QR code in of itself wasn't sufficient, and before entering it into their system as "vaccinated allowed entry," they required both a photo ID and the details of each administered vaccination dose.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by STS-134
Isn't it only required for indoor dining? Depending on your definition of indoor dining, you could say that I only dine indoors in Hawaii a handful of times during any given vacation. If you consider a place that has a roof but is open to the air on the sides to be "outdoors", then most restaurants especially in tourist areas are outdoors, not indoors.
At the Kona Brewing Co in Hawaii Kai, their open air seating area outside of the restaurant building requires the same vaccination proof.

Originally Posted by samplat

Overall, every place seemed to have a well organized approach The only minor inconvenience was fishing out the ID from wallet etc.
Originally Posted by Visconti
Similar experience.

For instance, even at my local gym here in the Bay Area, the QR code in of itself wasn't sufficient, and before entering it into their system as "vaccinated allowed entry," they required both a photo ID and the details of each administered vaccination dose.
The QR code just give you the same information that is already shown in text beneath the code. Most places we go to need to show ID. Else how do they know it is not somebody else's health pass? I was asked to show ID even in the UC at HNL, where my GS boarding pass is not sufficient to prove my identity.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by STS-134
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
At the Kona Brewing Co in Hawaii Kai, their open air seating area outside of the restaurant building requires the same vaccination proof..
Correct. On Oahu, vaccine proof (or a test) is required for all dining, indoor or outdoor seating. On Maui, it is only required for indoor dining.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Finkface
Correct. On Oahu, vaccine proof (or a test) is required for all dining, indoor or outdoor seating. On Maui, it is only required for indoor dining.
Do we need our original vax card or is a photocopy OK?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by philemer
I have only ever used a photo of my card stored on my phone. Never had a problem, never been asked for a hard copy, either original or photocopy. I can’t imagine that a copy would ever not be accepted.
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have only ever used a photo of my card stored on my phone. Never had a problem, never been asked for a hard copy, either original or photocopy. I cant imagine that a copy would ever not be accepted.
Was in HNL in October and photo version on phone was accepted everywhere. Never asked for actual, original hard copy.

Regards
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Are children under 12 required to be vaccinated to eat in restaurants with their parents?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Are children under 12 required to be vaccinated to eat in restaurants with their parents?
In our visit on November 26, the restaurant did not ask for vaccination proof of two kids under 12. They both had only the first shot - it was not yet possible to get the second shot not to mention the two week post shot period.

Not sure if this may change in the near future when all kids 5-12 will have the opportunity to get fully vaccinated.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: UA-K
Recently returned from HNL after a 5 day stay. United at LAX was giving out wristbands - but surprisingly there were a lot of passengers who did not get them. Upon arriving, around 1/3 of the passengers did not display a wristband and went off to another area while we breezed through.

Waikiki was pretty active, lots of tourists but not overly crowded. A lot of the boutique stores were closed and the airport duty free shops were pretty much all closed. What was really noticeable was the absolute absence of any Japanese tourists. Pretty much zero. I was pleased to see the restaurants taking the vaccine card check seriously.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rworne
Recently returned from HNL after a 5 day stay. United at LAX was giving out wristbands - but surprisingly there were a lot of passengers who did not get them. Upon arriving, around 1/3 of the passengers did not display a wristband and went off to another area while we breezed through.

Waikiki was pretty active, lots of tourists but not overly crowded. A lot of the boutique stores were closed and the airport duty free shops were pretty much all closed. What was really noticeable was the absolute absence of any Japanese tourists. Pretty much zero. I was pleased to see the restaurants taking the vaccine card check seriously.
Not the duty free shops!

Maybe this will be part of the enduring legacy of Covid. If we're lucky.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:49 am

Has anyone got covid test done for restaurants entry?

Has anyone get tested done for restaurant entry? Can I just get rapid antigen test?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
A test is not needed if you are fully vaccinated...just show your digital vaccine cert (if you have one) or your paper CDC card, or a photo/scan of your CDC card. Plus photo ID.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
A test is not needed if you are fully vaccinated...just show your digital vaccine cert (if you have one) or your paper CDC card, or a photo/scan of your CDC card. Plus photo ID.
I am going to guess that the OP is not vaccinated which is why they are asking.

OP, yes an antigen test within 48 hours is fine for restaurant entry.

What is an acceptable negative COVID-19 test?

● A negative test result must be a U.S. Food and Drug Administration emergency use authorization, or approved molecular test, or antigen test taken within 48 hours of entry to a business included in this emergency order.

● And identification with the same information as the negative COVID-19 test.

https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.