Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii - added COVID requirements for Canadian travelers over Mainland USA travelers

Hawaii - added COVID requirements for Canadian travelers over Mainland USA travelers

Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by patty canuck
Thanks AB, looks like a god option - a few of the other NAAT tests are pricier around the US, but few options as you stated otherwise in Maui - it really makes the NAAT the only option in the Islands with the lack of delivery by couriers over the weekends for a Tuesday departure (Saturday/Sunday courier) on PCR tests.

After posting this initially, I called the hotel and asked what their experiences were with Canadian guests (Kea Lani) as I know a large portion of their load is Canadian ... and they had no clue what I was talking about, because no Canadians were asking their concierge ...

I see you are off tonight - let us know how you get on with Customs and the NAAT test.
The Walgreens in Kahului offers the rapid Abbott ID Now NAAT test for free. You will need a rental car however as this is a drive thru test only.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:46 pm

If for some reason you can't use Walgreens free Rapid ID Now test ...

As an alternative to the expensive Doctors on Call testing ... (if that ends up working for Canada)

Take a look at Clinical Labs of Hawaii, their test is currently $120. (It was $150 when we did it for inter-island travel in January.)

Go in the morning, as they send the test over to their lab in Oahu. They have a location in Kihei. You can ask them what time the samples get picked up to plan accordingly.

Clinicallabs.com

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 3, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have flown in and out of Hawaii a dozen times since last year as a Canadian. There is no inter-island testing requirement any longer so no problem there. All the info you need is here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/.

As for entering Hawaii, if you were vaccinated in the US, you can enter Hawaii with no test. If you were vaccinated in Canada or elsewhere, you must have a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours prior to the departure time of your flight into Hawaii. The test MUST be taken at one of their approved partners. The list here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/. As long as you are US vaccinated or have the approved PCR test, there is no quarantine. Dont even think of going without one or the other; you will have to quarantine for 10 days and they are very strict about it (in approved hotels only, one time use key card, no car rental etc).

So that means you can either get a (very expensive) PCR test in Canada either through AC https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...#/covidTesting or WS https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/prepare/covid/testing if you are flying direct from Canada, or get tested in the US if connecting there. Both are acceptable but again, must be from a trusted partner from the link I posted.

Prior to being vaxxed, I would always connect through the US (I still do anyway as I hate WS and AC, but I digress) and get tested there. You only need a cheaper antigen test to enter the US (I use the BinaxNow home test with video proctoring but any cheap antigen test will do) and then you can get a free or cheap rapid PCR at your stopover in the US. Many are free and super fast (Walgreens Red Dot IDNow), others are cheap (City Health is $20), still others more expensive but cheaper than Canada (i.e. Clarity at LAX is $125, results in 3-5 hours). In the past, I have tested at Carbon in both SEA, PDX (results in less than an hour) and at Clarity in LAX. I no longer need to test as I was vaxxed in the US. Most US airlines now do pre clearance where they check your test/vaccine card at the departure airport and give you a wristband. You just walk off the plane with no further checks. Without the wristband, you are cleared on arrival which can take 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on when you land, Maui is one of the worst so definitely get the wristband if you can.

You must register at SafeTravels. https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/ They call it an app but it is just a website. Enter your trip details now and upload your vaccine card if you were vaxxed in the US. If not, when you get your test results, upload them in SafeTravels as a .pdf as soon as you receive them. Then, 24 hours prior to your flight, you fill out the Health Questionnaire and you will receive a QR code by email. This QR code is what they use to screen you either by the airline for the wristband or on arrival as I described above.

To return home to Canada, you need a PCR test, again taken within 72 hours of departure of your flight into Canada. The Walgreens on Maui does the Red Dot (IDNow) test with results in an hour and it is free. I use the (free) Walgreens regular PCR (purple dot) test in HNL and I always get my results back in 26-36 hours. Do NOT get the light blue dot test, it is antigen and not accepted for entry to Canada. There are also lots of paid testing options on Maui. As I said above, there is no longer any testing for inter island travel so you just need the PCR test to get back to Canada.

Hawaii does still have an indoor mask mandate and the locals are not as welcoming as usual these days because of the huge influx of tourists who are not the usual international mix. The islands are packed full right now and there are a lot of poorly behaved, disrespectful tourists and the locals are fed up with the crowds, people parking wherever they want, not respecting the rules or the aina, and just generally behaving badly. So just be mindful of that. Lines are long for everything so hopefully you have made dinner and activity reservations already. If not, do so now. We have seen a pretty big spike in cases lately so it is very possible the governor will bring back some restrictions. https://www.kitv.com/story/44369545/...r-another-week

It sounds onerous but it is really quite easy and painless. Just follow the steps and you will be fine, Let me know if I can help.
wow some awesome info there, maybe you could assist

im booked to KOA in a few weeks, flying UA YYZ-ORD-KOA

The safe travels site links to air Canada which links to life labs for Ontario. Its unclear if their test will work for flying UA, I emailed them and it says their test only works for Air Canada, United Airlines (operated by Air Canada) and WestJet ONLY so it makes it sound like it wont since Im flying United Airlines (but operated by United)

Have you had any experience testing with them and flying a US carrier??

thanks
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by whitethunder
wow some awesome info there, maybe you could assist

im booked to KOA in a few weeks, flying UA YYZ-ORD-KOA

The safe travels site links to air Canada which links to life labs for Ontario. Its unclear if their test will work for flying UA, I emailed them and it says their test only works for Air Canada, United Airlines (operated by Air Canada) and WestJet ONLY so it makes it sound like it wont since Im flying United Airlines (but operated by United)

Have you had any experience testing with them and flying a US carrier??

thanks
I have not and it is funny you should ask because I am wondering the same thing myself. While I am US vaccinated so exempt at the moment, I fully expect HI to bring back testing for everyone in light of the current numbers. I am flying back in a couple of weeks via the US so I am trying to have a plan B in place if I do need to test. I have BinaxNow tests to get me into the US but the timing doesnt work to get a PCR at my connection.

My guess is that it would be no issue. Lots of people use US testing sites linked to airlines when not actually flying that airline. The airlines dont care who you tested with as long as the test provider is on the list of trusted partners. It is an automated process and a QR code is generated by SafeTravels if your test is accepted. The airline just scans your QR code. If it comes to pass and they reinstate testing, I will be the guinea pig for you and try it.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:28 pm

I have not and it is funny you should ask because I am wondering the same thing myself. While I am US vaccinated so exempt at the moment, I fully expect HI to bring back testing for everyone in light of the current numbers. I am flying back in a couple of weeks via the US so I am trying to have a plan B in place if I do need to test. I have BinaxNow tests to get me into the US but the timing doesnt work to get a PCR at my connection.

My guess is that it would be no issue. Lots of people use US testing sites linked to airlines when not actually flying that airline. The airlines dont care who you tested with as long as the test provider is on the list of trusted partners. It is an automated process and a QR code is generated by SafeTravels if your test is accepted. The airline just scans your QR code. If it comes to pass and they reinstate testing, I will be the guinea pig for you and try it.

Thanks for the reply!!

I was stressing last night trying to change my trip to include a layover in LAX for the place you mentioned but its impossible since Im leaving Aug 23, massive change fees and Im already on a nice 787 with lie flats

ichoor Blood does do a Mail in Hawaii test that is valid apparently as their lab is in the USA but it wont work for my Monday departure since they are closed sundays, maybe thats an option for you

I did a fake booking on the life labs site (the air Canada linked test in Ontario) and it does ask destination and what airline and departure time but (can only choose air Canada westjet or united operated by air Canada) but I doubt theyd print that on the form eh??
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks for the reply!!

I was stressing last night trying to change my trip to include a layover in LAX for the place you mentioned but it’s impossible since I’m leaving Aug 23, massive change fees and I’m already on a nice 787 with lie flats…

ichoor Blood does do a Mail in Hawaii test that is valid apparently as their lab is in the USA but it won’t work for my Monday departure since they are closed sundays, maybe that’s an option for you

I did a fake booking on the life labs site (the air Canada linked test in Ontario) and it does ask destination and what airline and departure time but (can only choose air Canada westjet or united operated by air Canada) but I doubt they’d print that on the form eh??
I have used Carbon through Alaska Airlines twice before and while they did ask for flight info when I made the booking, they did not ask for it when I actually took the test. So I am sure I could have entered any flight number. And the test results come from a lab so they definitely don’t include flight information. I think they ask just to make sure you are in the right time frame (within 72 hours) for the test. I am reasonably sure it will work but it would be nice to have an actual data point to confirm.

As of now, my SafeTravels is showing exempt with just my vaccine upload so hopefully I can get in before Ige changes the rules again.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:51 pm

I have used Carbon through Alaska Airlines twice before and while they did ask for flight info when I made the booking, they did not ask for it when I actually took the test. So I am sure I could have entered any flight number. And the test results come from a lab so they definitely dont include flight information. I think they ask just to make sure you are in the right time frame (within 72 hours) for the test. I am reasonably sure it will work but it would be nice to have an actual data point to confirm.

As of now, my SafeTravels is showing exempt with just my vaccine upload so hopefully I can get in before Ige changes the rules again.
Ahh ok gotcha, well I've decided I will be the first guinea pig, I will just enter an AC flight number and get tested through lifelabs in ON and fly on UA and hope for the best, I am fairly sure I'll be OK since the hawaii form doesn't have the flight details (I don't think anyways)

I will let everyone know how it goes after the 23rd...

Any chance you know of any places to get a quick PCR test to get back to canada in Kona, I want a fast ID NOW test that I could get Monday before our late night flight back to SFO

Thanks again
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:09 pm

Ahh ok gotcha, well I've decided I will be the first guinea pig, I will just enter an AC flight number and get tested through lifelabs in ON and fly on UA and hope for the best, I am fairly sure I'll be OK since the hawaii form doesn't have the flight details (I don't think anyways)

Any chance you know of any places to get a quick PCR test to get back to canada in Kona, I want a fast ID NOW test that I could get Monday before our late night flight back to SFO

Thanks again
Looking forward to hearing if it all goes well. I think you will be fine. The only place I have used in Kona was last year at https://dlslab.com/locations/big-isl...a1eJVjJR1NRris. It was $125 and I got the results in about 24 hours. In HNL, I use Walgreens (no IDNow at Walgreens on the BI or HNL unfortunately) and have always gotten reaults in about 27 hours there as well.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:00 am

Thanks again
How did it go? Any issues with entering another flight number for the test?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:28 pm

Something else that Canadian-vaccinated travellers should take into account, at least for Oahu. You will not be able to enter certain indoor venues such as a restaurants etc after Sept 13. This means no restaurant dining if you were not vaccinated in the US.

Starting September 13,2021 you have to present proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test before entering entertainment and recreational settings, restaurants and bars, or indoor gym and fitness facilities and group physical activity classes.

Proof of a US FDA or US FDA EUA approved vaccination administered outside the United States is not accepted for patrons/customers.

● The following are required to comply, unless they offer take-out or delivery only:

○ Any establishments offering food and/or drink for on premises consumption; businesses operating seating areas of food courts; catering food service establishments that provide food/beverages for on premises consumption; and any food service establishment that is regulated by the State of Hawaii, Department of Health offering food/beverages for on-premises consumption.

○ The requirements of this emergency order shall not apply to any food service establishment offering food and/or drink exclusively for off-premises consumption, or to a food service establishment providing charitable food services (shelters, soup kitchens, etc.)

What types of indoor entertainment and recreational settings are included?
Bowling alleys, arcades, pool/billiard halls, movie theaters, museums, other recreational game or entertainment centers, and the indoor portions of botanical gardens, aquariums, zoos, sea life attractions, commercial recreational boating, public and private commercial pools, shooting/archery ranges, and other commercial attractions (cultural attractions, go kart, mini golf).

https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu/#patrons

Last edited by Finkface; Sep 5, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Something else that Canadian-vaccinated travellers should take into account, at least for Oahu. You will not be able to enter certain indoor venues such as a restaurants etc after Sept 13. This means no restaurant dining if you were not vaccinated in the US.

Starting September 13,2021 you have to present proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test before entering entertainment and recreational settings, restaurants and bars, or indoor gym and fitness facilities and group physical activity classes.

Proof of a US FDA or US FDA EUA approved vaccination administered outside the United States is not accepted for patrons/customers.

● The following are required to comply, unless they offer take-out or delivery only:

○ Any establishments offering food and/or drink for on premises consumption; businesses operating seating areas of food courts; catering food service establishments that provide food/beverages for on premises consumption; and any food service establishment that is regulated by the State of Hawaii, Department of Health offering food/beverages for on-premises consumption.

○ The requirements of this emergency order shall not apply to any food service establishment offering food and/or drink exclusively for off-premises consumption, or to a food service establishment providing charitable food services (shelters, soup kitchens, etc.)

Bowling alleys, arcades, pool/billiard halls, movie theaters, museums, other recreational game or entertainment centers, and the indoor portions of botanical gardens, aquariums, zoos, sea life attractions, commercial recreational boating, public and private commercial pools, shooting/archery ranges, and other commercial attractions (cultural attractions, go kart, mini golf).

That’s incredibly stupid, vaccines are the same regardless of where they were given. Can’t believe they are putting it on business owners to have to turn away people because of this stupid rule.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold

That's pretty wild. In the NYC program, the rules specifically state that such proof is acceptable. Then again, we're not actively trying to discourage tourism, either....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cheryl Mander
How did it go? Any issues with entering another flight number for the test?
Forgot to post, my bad been hectic since I got back

Went fine!!

Got tested in ON at a shoppers drug mart, got the hawaii safe travels form the next day (with air canada logo on it even though I was flying UA...) I uploaded it to safetravels site, I got a name mismatch thing, I decided to call and they cleared it up on the phone, and I was able to get QR codes online

The printout of the test worked fine to get into USA in YYZ, and the next day the ladies at checkin at ORD and in the lounge in ORD accepted it, gave me a wrist bracelet and all was good!! No checks or nothing upon arrival in KOA

Had am AMAZING time 10/10 for sure big island the was perfect vibe!!
LIH Prem, FlyinHawaiian and MDTyKe like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite

I just booked 9 nights at the Kahala for late October a few days before this was announced. Now looks like I'll have to cancel. I'm fully vaccinated in Canada, but there doesn't seem to be any workaround other than getting a negative Covid test every 2 days in order to eat in restaurants which would be expensive and inconvenient. If they had exempted outdoor dining, then I would still go. I'm not ordering Uber Eats for 9 days though. Either this was really hastily and sloppily designed or they just really want to discourage tourism right now.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
I just booked 9 nights at the Kahala for late October a few days before this was announced. Now looks like I'll have to cancel. I'm fully vaccinated in Canada, but there doesn't seem to be any workaround other than getting a negative Covid test every 2 days in order to eat in restaurants which would be expensive and inconvenient. If they had exempted outdoor dining, then I would still go. I'm not ordering Uber Eats for 9 days though. Either this was really hastily and sloppily designed or they just really want to discourage tourism right now.
My guess is the latter although you never know as they have proven over and over that they just dont think things through. And now one hotel chain has just announced they will not accept unvaccinated guests. Note they have not specifically said they will follow the Safe Access Oahu rule of not recognizing vaccines administered outside of the US though. I suspect this will be just the first and that others will follow suit. Highgate consists of 7 hotels; Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Courtyard Marriott Waikiki Beach, Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach, Park Shore Waikiki and Pearl Hotel Waikiki

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...K-rTOUvKRNg8pk

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach and Highgate Hawaiis collection of seven hotels are announcing today that they will begin requiring proof of full vaccination for all employees, guests and patrons.

The hotel company is the first in Hawaii to announce a vaccination mandate of this breadth. The new requirements will start Oct. 15.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.