Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
RIP

Trusted Testing and Travel Partner(link is external) prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 5-day quarantine.

Additionally, any passengers on any commercial flight from the mainland [US], who are over the age of 18, who download the CLEAR app clearme.com/hawaii and correctly follow the directions can use Health Pass. CLEAR touts Health Pass as a “free, mobile experience by CLEAR, which securely connects a person’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19 related insights, including proof of vaccination, to reduce public health risk.”

Here’s how it works: Travelers will add their negative COVID-19 test result or vaccine verification to the free CLEAR mobile app clearme.com/hawaii to generate a Health Pass. Then they can apply for a quarantine exception on the Hawaii Safe Travels website by linking their CLEAR Health Pass. The secure process may be done over a smartphone.

Employees of airlines participating in pre-clearance programs will scan a passenger’s HI QR code prior to the flight to Hawaii to ensure that all entry requirements are satisfied. Depending on the airline, travelers might receive a wristband to help expedite arrival procedures in Hawaii. If a particular airline does not provide pre- clearance service prior to departure, travelers will be screened upon arrival in Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/10/hawaii-news/hawaii-streamlines-travel-entry-with-clear-health-pass/?HSA=49ce592a363d295324577e0c19496e69b02ab967

Link to Safe Travels Hawaii Website (Mandatory State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form) - https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Beginning July 8, 2021, individuals fully vaccinated in the United States or its Territories may enter Hawaii on domestic flights without pre-travel testing/quarantine starting the 15th day after the completion of their vaccination. All other travelers must have their negative test results from a
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by naumank
Where do I find the green QR code and the green check mark? I just uploaded my vax card, and received an email with a QR code. The QR code appears yellow to me. No ❌ or ✅ in the email.
I am in the same situation as you. Uploaded the vax info and got the QR code. Have not received the green checks. Here's my theory (based on 5 previous trips to the islands during the pandemic)--->

Hawaii Safe Travels just recently eliminated the requirement that you deny having any symptoms of COVID or any exposure to COVID just prior to your flight (2 days prior?). If I recall correctly, this completed health questionnaire was the final step and was the trigger to issue the two green check marks.

I am assuming the the Safe Travels system is still waiting for the health questionnaire window to be open before issuing green check marks or otherwise updating your record to show compliance.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Where do I find the green QR code and the green check mark? I just uploaded my vax card, and received an email with a QR code. The QR code appears yellow to me. No ❌ or ✅ in the email.
In your SafeTravels account. Go to Trips and click on the trip you at looking at.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How can I tell if my vax card was accepted.

I registered for a HI trip coming up since I had all the info and received the emailed code right away and applied for exemption from quantine do to be vaxed and uploaded a .jpg of my vax card.

I never received another code but the JPG is showing in my safe travel app. Will I receive an email stating that the vax card was accepted or should I be ok as long as I show it when I enter Hawaii.

It also says on the site you need the original card. Do I need the actual card or will a cell phone photo work to get in?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How can I tell if my vax card was accepted.
If by 'accepted' you mean eligible to be exempt from quarantine, it won't be until a human being inspects it and updates your trip in Safe Travels. It will either be by a DL (you have stated elsewhere that you are flying them) employee prior to your flight to Hawaii (at which point you will also get a wristband) or it will be by a screener at the airport in Hawaii after your flight lands.
jamesteroh likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 7, 2022 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Do I need to bring the actual vaccination card for pre screening at the airport? Or can I just bring a picture on the phone?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Do I need to bring the actual vaccination card for pre screening at the airport? Or can I just bring a picture on the phone?
Always bring the real card.
LIH Prem and Beachchaser like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's funny because I do always bring the real card but I've never been asked to show the real card. I'm sure the time that I don't bring it, I'll need it.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
That's funny because I do always bring the real card but I've never been asked to show the real card. I'm sure the time that I don't bring it, I'll need it.
Did they even ask for a image of the card at the airport? Since we already uploaded the picture, I would assume they can just look at the image on their computer, right? If they want to look at the original, what’s the point of having us upload the image in the first place?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
It is true. Screening now takes place behind the scenes the day/night before your flight. You must have the two green checkmarks to get a wristband now, even with Clear. I fly in and out regularly and this is a fairly new change. I flew back on Wednesday and my Screened ❌ turned to ✅ at some point late in the day on Tuesday (I had used Clear, as I have done many times in the past). AS was making very pointed announcements that you will not get a wristband if you are not logged in to Safe Travels and have two green checks.
A little late to this but based on our own experience, I'm wondering if this change was experienced by Finkface because, as (s)he said, "I fly in and out regularly." I've been to Hawaii twice since Thanksgiving and my wife three times. On trip 2, it appeared we had both auto-magically changed to screened the evening before a morning departure to Hawaii. On trip 3 (wife solo), HST trip was not created until the night before. Thanks to the ever changing airline procedures, my wife was not able to get a wristband yet her HST status changed to Screened while she was in the air. And on arrival in Hawaii, was sent to a screener who as soon as she saw the Screened status, sent my wife on her way without any further screening.

My speculation was, although it could be wildly off, was that because we were recent returnees to Hawaii (the previous trip was still showing in HST), we went to Screened status without actual screening. But if it's happening to first time (since HST started) travelers to Hawaii, that would blow my theory away.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by BelmontRef
A little late to this but based on our own experience, I'm wondering if this change was experienced by Finkface because, as (s)he said, "I fly in and out regularly." I've been to Hawaii twice since Thanksgiving and my wife three times. On trip 2, it appeared we had both auto-magically changed to screened the evening before a morning departure to Hawaii. On trip 3 (wife solo), HST trip was not created until the night before. Thanks to the ever changing airline procedures, my wife was not able to get a wristband yet her HST status changed to Screened while she was in the air. And on arrival in Hawaii, was sent to a screener who as soon as she saw the Screened status, sent my wife on her way without any further screening.

My speculation was, although it could be wildly off, was that because we were recent returnees to Hawaii (the previous trip was still showing in HST), we went to Screened status without actual screening. But if it's happening to first time (since HST started) travelers to Hawaii, that would blow my theory away.
I'm not quite sure what your question is but now with AS, the screening takes place behind the scenes by remote screeners a few hours before your flight. I don't think being a returning traveler has anything to do with it, nor do I think she wasn't actually screened. I would guess your wife was screened remotely while she was in the air and on arrival, seeing the two green checks, the airport screener sent her on her way because she had already been remotely screened and cleared (just without a wristband). She wasn't remote screened before her flight (maybe it rums at certain times and it had already run by the time she created her trip?) which is why she didn't get a wristband - she hadn't been remotely screened in time. But my guess is that the remote screening process still happened, just a little later (a second run?) and she was remotely screened while she was in the air instead of the night before?

3. At least 12 hours prior to your Hawaii-bound flight:
  • Ensure your COVID-19 test results or vaccination record have been successfully uploaded to your Safe Travels profile and the online attestation has been completed.
  • Once your profile is complete, a QR code* will be generated in your Safe Travels profile.
  • Your completed profile will be reviewed by remote screeners to verify that your documents meet State of Hawaii requirements. This process usually happens a few hours before your flight. Once documents are approved, you will see green checkmarks underneath your QR code.

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 19, 2022 at 3:20 am
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they even ask for a image of the card at the airport? Since we already uploaded the picture, I would assume they can just look at the image on their computer, right? If they want to look at the original, what’s the point of having us upload the image in the first place?
With the wristband, no. Nor to get the wristband.

On an earlier trip before that where we couldn’t get a wristband, I just don’t remember for sure, but I don’t think so.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:40 pm

You might need the physical card if you have to be manually screened (you never automatically get the "screened:yes". in Safe Travels.) We always just hand over our vax card, license and QR code on the phone when we have to be manually screened.

Finkface, we returned last Monday and sometime well before the 12 hour mark, both of our trips (Alaska) changed to "screened:yes", unlike last time. So whatever back office function is doing that seems to have worked this time.

Another trip next week, hopefully it works as intended again. This time I had to renew my clear HI health pass, it expired on the 15th. A couple of taps and it gives you another 6 months.

Can't wait till they end this.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 19, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You might need the physical card if you have to be manually screened (you never automatically get the "screened:yes". in Safe Travels.) We always just hand over our vax card, license and QR code on the phone when we have to be manually screened.

Finkface, we returned last Monday and sometime well before the 12 hour mark, both of our trips (Alaska) changed to "screened:yes", unlike last time. So whatever back office function is doing that seems to have worked this time.

Another trip next week, hopefully it works as intended again. This time I had to renew my clear HI health pass, it expired on the 15th. A couple of taps and it gives you another 6 months.

Can't wait till they end this.

-David
Same here. I will also be flying out and back in a couple of weeks so it would be nice not to have to deal with Safe Travels on my return.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:06 am

What happens at the airport in Hawaii if I have the wristband? (I'm sure it's discussed before but I didn't go through all 31 pages.) Do they let me exit the airport without checking my documents?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:23 am

What happens at the airport in Hawaii if I have the wristband? (I'm sure it's discussed before but I didn't go through all 31 pages.) Do they let me exit the airport without checking my documents?
If you have a wristband, you just walk straight out. No further checks required. As you exit the gate area, there are people standing there sorting arriving passengers. Those with a wristband get directed straight out to walk to baggage claim or connections. Those without are directed to a different area to get screened on arrival.
LIH Prem and naumank like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.