Search

Supersonic Flights to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by STS-134
I really don't see US West Coast to Hawaii being the ideal market for this. TPAC is another matter entirely. If I can cut a 12 hour flight down to 3, that's different than cutting a 5 hour flight down to 2.5. There's a lot of overhead associated with just taking off and landing and it becomes a much bigger part of the total as the routes get shorter.
It will all depend on who's offering what and how much of their market wants to buy at what price points. As well as what planes (air and potentially space) can land and takeoff at Hawaiian airports.

Some parts of markets aren't huge in terms of passengers but sometimes you can get enough folks to buy so that the service provider can make it work. As an example, UA used to partner with Los Angeles Airways to provide helicopter service at LAX Terminal 7:

Even now there's a market within the Los Angeles basin for helicopter passenger flights. However, this is more of a bespoke service at this point.

David
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
Of course not. But travel today is all about ground transportation. Rental vehicles of all kinds are nearly unavailable in the islands and the prices are outrageous.
Looks like this solution is frowned upon now

Hawaii Is Asking Tourists to Stop Renting U-Haul Moving Vans As Rental Cars (businessinsider.com)
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by josephstern
Still 4.5-5 hours from California. So in the last 70 years we've only cut the time in half?
The aerodynamics and engineering dictating the most efficient cruise speed for jets hasn't changed much. 707 cruise was the same or faster than many current high-bypass-turbofan-driven jets. So most of that time savings was probably in the 1950-1970 period, transitioning from the shown B377 Stratocruiser at 300mph to something like the 707 at 550mph (484kt cruise). (777 cruise is 482kt)
josephstern likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 11, 2021 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.