Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

Governor Ige just blessed Maui's plan to have a mandatory COVID test at OGG for all trans-pacific arrivals regardless of vaccine status or whether or not you participate in the 72 hour pre-travel testing program.

Anyone who opts out of the test or fails it will be subject to 10 day quarantine at their expense at an approved quaratine facility on the island.

This 2nd test is being paid for by Maui county.

And like the Big Island program, the test results can't be used for interisland travel requirments of avoiding quarantine after interisland travel.

The new testing routine will begin on/around April 17.

The Mayor warns because a lot ot the trans-Pacific flights arrive around the same time, he expects lines to be very long until they get into the rythm of things.
355F1 likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:37 pm Reason: added details to thread title
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:19 am

There’s a little more info here:

https://mauinow.com/2021/04/07/break...cific-flights/

Sounds like they’ll look at the results and reevaluate the situation.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: AS 75K
Ah great.... standing in long lines next to strangers all in the name of not getting sick by standing with strangers.
Tanic, nnn, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:03 am

so freaking ridiculous. and I'm a bleeding heart liberal
JNelson113, dhuey, jtav559 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Ah great.... standing in long lines next to strangers all in the name of not getting sick by standing with strangers.
Hopefully they'll figure out fresh-air waiting areas to both reduce transmission and . . . give travelers some of that great Maui air!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ironically this comes at the same time KOA (Big Island) is cutting back on the post-arrival test.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Ironically this comes at the same time KOA (Big Island) is cutting back on the post-arrival test.
The reason for the cutback is funding. The current supply of tests will be expiring soon.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting they're putting this into effect at this stage in the game. Have they found a link between the recent surge and travel?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I predict a revision before it starts. Otherwise I could fly from California to HNL, claim my bags, then catch an interisland flight to Maui, all with one test at 72 hours before the interisland flight. The plane change would also allow me to miss the noon crush of nonstop arrivals at OGG.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nsx
I predict a revision before it starts. Otherwise I could fly from California to HNL, claim my bags, then catch an interisland flight to Maui, all with one test at 72 hours before the interisland flight. The plane change would also allow me to miss the noon crush of nonstop arrivals at OGG.
I highly doubt this would get you out of the post-arrival test as they scan your QR code upon arrival to OGG and would likely see that you had a layover in HNL from the mainland so theyd probably still test you. KOA has had a post-arrival test for months now so it would be interesting to hear experiences for those coming from the mainland with a connection in HNL on how the post-arrival test works at KOA.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I am supposed to connect from the mainland in HNL. So supposedly my one test prior to the HNL flight should be good for the safe travels program. It will be impossible to ensure that I get a test within 72hrs of the Maui departure, which didn't matter because of the prior rules. I imagine since I'm using the safe travels test to get in I would be flagged for an arrival test. I think I will need to reconsider Maui with this...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
What a disaster. Looks like I should change my already booked May trip to Maui to Kauai.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
You would still need a 2nd test at OGG.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darkrider
I am supposed to connect from the mainland in HNL. So supposedly my one test prior to the HNL flight should be good for the safe travels program. It will be impossible to ensure that I get a test within 72hrs of the Maui departure, which didn't matter because of the prior rules. I imagine since I'm using the safe travels test to get in I would be flagged for an arrival test. I think I will need to reconsider Maui with this...
Nothing has changed with the 72hr test. The only thing new is you will be tested again for free upon arrival at OGG. If you fail it, your 72 test results become moot.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Nothing has changed with the 72hr test. The only thing new is you will be tested again for free upon arrival at OGG. If you fail it, your 72 test results become moot.
Have these people completely lost their minds. So I have been fully vaccinated but I still need to get a test 72 hours before arrival and then again on arrival in OGG. I can't figure out if they are insane, totally incompetent or if they really don't want anyone to come to their island.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.