Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Consolidated "South Kona-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea restaurants" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Recommended restaurants, from north to south:

The Fish and the Hog in Waimea, https://www.fishandthehog.com/
Merriman's in Waimea, https://www.merrimanshawaii.com/waimea/ book ahead on Open Table
Seafood Bar and Grill, Waimea, https://seafoodbarandgrill.com/
Hale l'a Da Fish House, https://www.yelp.com/biz/hale-ia-da-fish-house-kamuela - open 9-5 Mon - Fri, poke
Manuel Malasada, malasada truck that parks on the side of the highway at 1 Puako Drive, 9 to 5:30 Tues-Sun, closed Mon
Manta Restaurant, Mauna Kea Hotel, https://www.mantarestaurant.net/ Call to book
Meridia, Westin Hapuna, https://www.meridiarestaurant.net/menu/ book on Open Table
Canoe House, Mauna Lani, https://aubergeresorts.com/maunalani/dine/canoe-house/, 5-9 pm - booked thru April 11
Napua, Mauna Lani Beach Club, https://www.napuarestaurant.com/
Lava Lava Beach Club, Lava Lava Beach Club. https://lavalavabeachclub.com/bigisland/ For a fun beachy "sand in toes" experience, with tables right on the beach, and some nights live music. Just keep expectations in check on food and service.
Pueo's Osteria, http://www.pueososteria.com/#welcome Italian food up in Waikoloa Village at Waikoloa Highlands Center, this place also features outdoor, semi-covered dining.
'Ulu Ocean Grill, Four Seasons, https://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/dining/restaurants/ulu_ocean_grill/

South of Airport:
Patricio's Mexican, http://www.patriciostaqueria.com/, 10:30 - 8
Fish Hopper, Kailua-Kona, https://www.fishhopperkona.com/ Daily, 7am to 9pm
Da Poke Shack, https://dapokeshack.com/ Daily 10am-4pm

Archived Thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/284220-big-island-consolidated-south-kona-kona-north-kohala-waimea-restaurants-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Big Island: Consolidated "South Kona-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea restaurants" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Some good suggestions here I will have to try next time I make it back to the Big Island! For something informal and quick, I have always enjoyed Ultimate Burger in the Kona Commons Shopping Center, Address: 74-5450 Makala Blvd E112, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:25 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

We are home, having eaten well on our trip thanks to all of you who contributed.

Highlight:
CanoeHouse - best ambience, with comfortable seating overlooking beautifully maintained grounds and the ocean. We saw whales fully breaching. Stunning. I would be happy to hang out there daily. Food was excellent. We had the 5 course tasting menu. If you want to eat here, book weeks before your trip. We only got in thanks to Weatherboy. We are greatly appreciative.

We also had excellent meals at:
Merrimans, Waimea
Manta, Mauna Kea Hotel

Highlight of casual dining:
Fish and the Hog in Waimea - I would never have looked for bbq in Hawaii, but wow, was it good. The jalapeno corn bread that came with it was delicious. I would go here again and again. You can join their waitlist online. I'd want to do that another time. There was a long line of folks waiting for seating.

The perfect pairing for Fish and the Hog is to continue north on the same road for Tex Drive Inn in Honokaa. It's about a 15 minute drive. Their malasadas are terrific. I found an article on malasadas throughout all the Hawaiian islands. It rated those here as the top on the Big Island.

We had poke from Hale I'A Da Fish House, roughly 5 minutes north of Mauna Kea Hotel. We stopped at a produce stand shortly before it to buy avocados to add to the poke. Is that a Californian thing? We knew that the Fish House had no avocados and we are accustomed to having it. They had ahi with varied flavorings. We enjoyed the one with chopped pistachios.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: ITA
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Some good suggestions here I will have to try next time I make it back to the Big Island! For something informal and quick, I have always enjoyed Ultimate Burger in the Kona Commons Shopping Center, Address: 74-5450 Makala Blvd E112, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Confirm Ultimate Burger, really great quality.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are home, having eaten well on our trip thanks to all of you who contributed.
Highlight of casual dining:
Fish and the Hog in Waimea - I would never have looked for bbq in Hawaii, but wow, was it good. The jalapeno corn bread that came with it was delicious. I would go here again and again. You can join their waitlist online. I'd want to do that another time. There was a long line of folks waiting for seating.

The perfect pairing for Fish and the Hog is to continue north on the same road for Tex Drive Inn in Honokaa. It's about a 15 minute drive. Their malasadas are terrific. I found an article on malasadas throughout all the Hawaiian islands. It rated those here as the top on the Big Island..
I am glad to hear of this on the Fish and Hog. We have tried more than a few times to "pop in" there but never could get in. We will definitely use the online waitlist!

Agreed on Tex!
Old May 12, 2021, 12:01 pm

I found this thread very helpful for my most recent visit, as it listed some restaurants I was not aware of previously.

As usual, I enjoyed dinner at Canoe House, as well as the more casual bar at the Mauna Lani.

Rumhouse was also pretty good, although I note they no longer have poke samplers on the menu. The poke nachos were very good, though!

I was extremely disappointed in Fish and Hog. They are no longer using a Yelp waitlist, so a wait on site is required. In addition, I showed up at 6:30 pm for dinner (which I think is a completely reasonable time) and they were out of most BBQ items on the menu, as well as some desserts. I was told I should order the fish. Hmmmm, I didn't leave my beach-side hotel to eat fish at a BBQ restaurant. Of the things I was able to try, the brisket on the sandwich was dry and the deep fried pickles were just pickles in a large mound of deep fried dough. Deep fried pickles are amazing if delicately fried. These were not.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I can confirm that Canoe House currently appears to be unobtainium unless you are staying at the Mauna Lani.
I wasn't staying at the Mauna Lani but I tried to get birthday reservations for myself and could not. Tried Amex Plat Concierge, hotel concierge (Fairmont) and reaching out to some other folks but failed.
Ended up at Kamuela Provision Company but wasn't particularly impressed by the food. It wasn't bad but not the highlight during the trip.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mongobot
I can confirm that Canoe House currently appears to be unobtainium unless you are staying at the Mauna Lani.
I wasn't staying at the Mauna Lani but I tried to get birthday reservations for myself and could not. Tried Amex Plat Concierge, hotel concierge (Fairmont) and reaching out to some other folks but failed.
Ended up at Kamuela Provision Company but wasn't particularly impressed by the food. It wasn't bad but not the highlight during the trip.
CanoeHouse and Manta are extremely difficult to get into nowadays. As are the Four Seasons Hualalai eateries.

i went to KPC for their reopening night. Food was good but service was poor, but I chalk that up to opening night challenges. I also went to the reopening of the Hualalai Grille, which is an Alan Wong eatery (who originally opened CanoeHouse. ) The Grille was delicious but about 2-3x more pricey than KPC.

Restaurant managers tell me they're having a huge problem staffing up; no one wants to work. And because of that, they can't open more tables or turn tables as quickly as they'd like.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Originally Posted by mongobot
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
CanoeHouse and Manta are extremely difficult to get into nowadays.
Maybe just need a little advance notice? (But not too much...they don't seem to take reservations much past a week or two.)

I just found a table for 6 on 6/21, 8:00 p.m. (Not sure yet if I want to eat there, may be too $$ for this trip.)
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by johnndor
Maybe just need a little advance notice? (But not too much...they don't seem to take reservations much past a week or two.)

I just found a table for 6 on 6/21, 8:00 p.m. (Not sure yet if I want to eat there, may be too $$ for this trip.)
I contacted Canoe House directly a month before the desired date. The reply was, reservations were restricted to Mauna Lani guests until two weeks before the desired date. I then asked my hotel concierge if they could book it and got the same reply. So I waited until two weeks before the intended date as instructed by Canoe House. When the day came I was told they were sold out. I tried my hotel concierge and Amex Plat concierge and was told they could not get a table.

So if you've found a table and are interested, I'd say grab it!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by johnndor

I try to eat out there 1x week or every other week. If you haven't tried it and can get a reservation, go!
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:27 pm

Ive tried Patricio's Mexican Taqueria twice. They offer decent Mexican food for an excellent price not far from KOA airport. Seems like they do a lot of take-out but they do have some indoor seating.

I wouldn't call this place a must-eat, but if you're looking for something quick and casual and a break from fast food, this is a good place.

Tacos

On my last visit, I had their Mexican Chicken tacos and swapped refried beans for black beans. I also requested a cup of their spicy salsa which has quite a kick! These tacos + sangria + bottle of water and tip came in under $15.

In addition to soft drinks, they offer homemade sangria and cans of beer, hard seltzer, and tea.
SanDiego1K and FlyinHawaiian like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
This thread is really helpful, but I know things have changed in the past few months, hopefully for the better. I am guessing things will be busier now with travel restrictions opening up. Will be at the Hilton Dec 10-13.. Do I need to make recommendations now for next month -

PS I really liked San Diego 1K maps (Im visual too) but I dont know exactly what is close to the Hilton .. so any guidance greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
This thread is really helpful, but I know things have changed in the past few months, hopefully for the better. I am guessing things will be busier now with travel restrictions opening up. Will be at the Hilton Dec 10-13.. Do I need to make recommendations now for next month -

PS I really liked San Diego 1K maps (Im visual too) but I dont know exactly what is close to the Hilton .. so any guidance greatly appreciated.
Book what you can while you can. Even as capacity restraints ease, there's still an extreme labor shortage among hotels and restaurants...so some may be able to set every table, there's not enough help to do so.

To deal with staffing issues, many resorts are returning to resort-guest-only service. So if you want to eat at U'lu, you must stay at the Four Seasons. Want to eat at Canoe House? Stay at Mauna Lani. Want to eat at Manta? Stay at Mauna Kea Beach Resort. Otherwise, if there's an off-resort place you want to dine at, do make a reservation sooner rather than later.

I suspect from mid-November through the spring, you will need weeks or more to book a place.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for the quick response, and definitely agree that there will be labor shortages - we see that in every restaurant in the city as well. You name many of the nice places in the hotels, anything within a half hour drive of the Hilton that you can recommend that is not in a resort?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by worldiswide
For reference, the King's Shops marked in her map here is pretty much where the Hilton is.

It's about a 30-40 min drive from Waikoloa to the restaurants listed in Kamuela/Waimea and about 45+ min to Kailua-Kona town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.