Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" Thread [Dec 2020-Forward]

Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" Thread [Dec 2020-Forward]

Old Jun 30, 22, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Latest HVO Kilauea lava shots:

Each image is linked to the full resolution photo available from HVO.

David
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More lava at Kilauea:

Accompanying text:
This image shows spattering on the active lake surface of Halemaumau, as seen during a Kīlauea summit observational field shift on June 29, 2022. The areas between the smooth, silvery plates on the surface spatter vigorously as these plates get dragged down into the molten lake and new plates of rapidly cooled lava form in their place. USGS photo by L. Gallant.
Source

David
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 6:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA ExecPlat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Diamond; National EE
These are great photos. Where is the best view for visitors to the national park? We are able bodied and ok with hiking in the dark with headlamps.
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:34 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
These are great photos. Where is the best view for visitors to the national park? We are able bodied and ok with hiking in the dark with headlamps.
I just returned yesterday from Hawaii. Spent 2 days at the park - did both day and night viewing. By far we found the best viewing was near the Keanakako'i Overlook off the Old Crater Rim Drive. The actual overlook was closed but in the previous 2 weeks they had opened an alternative viewing area just to the east of it that is marked with ropes and railings. For the night-time viewing we parked at the Pu'upua'i Overlook and then took the Devastation Trail to the viewing area. The hike was about 1.5 miles and very easy, even at 11pm as almost all of it is on paved road/path except for the last quarter mile to the viewing area. Map here: HAVO_S2_FinalParkReview2.png (70164961) (nps.gov) The new view point is just about where the 1.0mi/1.6km notation is on the map. Fabulous, don't miss it!
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 3:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA ExecPlat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
I just returned yesterday from Hawaii. Spent 2 days at the park - did both day and night viewing. By far we found the best viewing was near the Keanakako'i Overlook off the Old Crater Rim Drive. The actual overlook was closed but in the previous 2 weeks they had opened an alternative viewing area just to the east of it that is marked with ropes and railings. For the night-time viewing we parked at the Pu'upua'i Overlook and then took the Devastation Trail to the viewing area. The hike was about 1.5 miles and very easy, even at 11pm as almost all of it is on paved road/path except for the last quarter mile to the viewing area. Map here: HAVO_S2_FinalParkReview2.png (70164961) (nps.gov) The new view point is just about where the 1.0mi/1.6km notation is on the map. Fabulous, don't miss it!
Thanks very much! What time did you arrive at the Park and how was the wait to enter/traffic/finding a parking spot?
Old Aug 1, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
Thanks very much! What time did you arrive at the Park and how was the wait to enter/traffic/finding a parking spot?
Arrived about 9am, waited about 4 minutes to pay, quickly found a parking spot at the visitor center with no problem and parked there most of the day until the afternoon when we went to the Pu'upua'i Overlook, around 5pm and found lots of empty parking spaces. We found ourselves at the new overlook around 7pm and just stayed there for several hours until it was well and truly night (takes a long time for sunset to be completely over with the Milky Way spilled all across the sky). Second day, we drove from place to place - once in a while we had to wait maybe 5 minutes for a space to open up. The park is open 24 hours. At the overlook I talked with some rangers about going specifically for night viewing - they said it is hit or miss on how busy any particular night will be but availability at the closest lot to the viewing area will be difficult at best in the hour or so before sunset and a few hours after.

It will also depend on how active the volcano is. The entire time in the park I was completely captivated by the primordial nature of it all; my kids? not so much. The Rangers and some local regulars commented that activity was relatively high at the moment and viewing pretty good. But many people were quite underwhelmed by the sight and I heard grumbling - "we hiked all the way out here for that? And now I have to walk back in the dark?" However, that means those folks will leave rather quickly and parking spots will open up. Patience is a virtue.

It is really neat to watch the transition from day through sunset and then to complete darkness - but if just night viewing is your goal then I suspect going after 10pm will mean not much in the way of waiting for a parking spot close by. Parking at the Pu'upua'i Overlook will be easier and is not a long walk.
Old Oct 23, 22, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Filling Kilauea:

September 28, 2021:

One year and 150 million m^3 / 39 billion gallons of lava later raising the caldera floor 370 meters/1200 feet since 2018:

September 27, 2022:

Source: https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/h...ls-its-craters

David
rockdoc, Rare, ExpatExp and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HVO posted a bunch of cool photos last week

These are from above the rim of Kilauea:

View looking west of Halemaumau at the summit of Kīlauea volcano the morning of November 17, 2022. This photo is taken from the overlook near Keanakākoi Crater, which is publicly accessible. Lava is visible in the center of the photo, to the left of the top of the shrub in the foreground. Volcanic gases are rising from many location across the crater floor, particularly around the margins of Halemaumau. USGS photo by N. Deligne.

A mid-morning view of the southern portion of Halemaumau, as seen by field crews from the western rim. Activity within Halemaumau has remained steady over the last week. The active lake surface sits 7 meters (~23 feet) below the surface of the caldera. A small amount of spatter along the eastern margin of the lake was visible (the red glow). The active lake surface is visible from the Keanakākoʻi overlook. USGS photo by L. Gallant.

​​​​​​​A close-up view of Halemaumau's active lava lake. The western rim of Kīlauea was visited by field crews who observed variable amounts of spattering along the eastern margin of the lake (seen here at the top of the photograph). The direction of flow is from west to east (bottom to top in this photograph). The size of the plates that move across the surface are related to the speed that lava is fed from the vent (bigger plates move slower, smaller plates move faster). The plates seen here are much larger than those observed in the same place a year ago. This means that the current effusion rate of lava is much smaller than the effusion rate a year ago. USGS photo by L. Gallant.

And then there's down in the caldera at the top of the lava lake surface:

​​​​​​​View looking to the west on the crater floor of Halemaʻumaʻu, at the summit of Kīlauea. The foreground is covered by pāhoehoe, and the brown-colored feature in the background is the island that has persisted since the December 2020 eruption within Halemaumau. USGS photo by D. Downs.

​​​​​​​A hornito located on the eastern side of Halemaʻumaʻu crater floor. The colorful nature of the hornito comes from the various gases that come out of the magma and precipitate on the surrounding rock. Many of these colors are from sulfur that is abundant in Kīlauea magmas. USGS photo by D. Downs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​This tall, thin hornito on the eastern side of the crater floor of Halemaʻumaʻu is made up of spatter. The spatter made its way through a crack in the thick, solidified lava that forms the base of Halemaumau crater, at the summit of Kīlauea. The yellow and white patches at the bottom are from sulfur that has come out of the magma precipitating on the lava. USGS photo by D. Downs.
​​​​​​​David
rockdoc, xooz, DenverBrian and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 22, 11:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Mauna Loa Erupts

Mauna Loa erupts:

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mauna...uption-webpage
Old Nov 28, 22, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Mauna Loa Eruption - November 2022 thread:

Originally Posted by MDTyKe View Post
Could see lava fountains from downtown Kailua-Kona this morning. Photo taken near Old Airport.

Presently under Ash Advisory. WN have cancelled all flights in/out of ITO. Seems KOA is operating as normal.

​​​​​​​David
tattikat2 and ExpatExp like this.
Old Nov 29, 22, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Photo from 11/28/2022 showing eruption activity at both Kilauea and Mauna Loa in the early morning:

Source: Park is open with some closures as Mauna Loa erupts - Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

David
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread