Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Just went thru this at OGG and they did ask kids how old are they.

Don’t know how the site verify the results but it is certainly within the realm of technical feasibility for the site to interface with the lab given the test number to authenticate results uploaded matches what the lab results.
So did your child have an incorrect birthdate on their COVID test report? What happened? What did you need to do to get cleared?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sari75
So did your child have an incorrect birthdate on their COVID test report? What happened? What did you need to do to get cleared?
DOB correct. The point is they do check age at least against the safe travel profile. Not sure if they check against the test as well.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:09 pm

Hi,

Can someone tested at CVS for the PCR test tell me what is the exact name of the test it uses? Is it something like RT-PCR? or something else? Thank you!

anybody use CVS for kids. I did CVS today but they only gave me one log in,
Where do I get my kid's results? Minors are not allowed a CVS account.

Thank you!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2021 at 5:06 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Scott Welch
In my area (Delaware) they do the ID now on Sundays, just got tested today and the results came back within an hour. Can't say enough about Walgreen's, very easy process !
My friend has ID Test Now yesterday (Sunday) in Rochester MN and the result hasn't arrived as of now (almost past 24 hours).

I'm going to schedule another one for him tomorrow (Tue) so he can be on Wedn flight.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by vincewy
My friend has ID Test Now yesterday (Sunday) in Rochester MN and the result hasn't arrived as of now (almost past 24 hours).

I'm going to schedule another one for him tomorrow (Tue) so he can be on Wedn flight.
Did he ever call the pharmacy? The results are processed on site so the results definitely should be in. Perhaps they forgot to forward the results to the lab and they can still do that.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Did he ever call the pharmacy? The results are processed on site so the results definitely should be in. Perhaps they forgot to forward the results to the lab and they can still do that.
I need to call PWN Health instead, 1-888-362-4321

The problem is they can only help you are requesting the results for yourself, I'm curious how people can get to HI when s/he is computer illiterate.

update: It turned out my email didn't get the results and I had to do a 3 way call to ask my friend's oral permission to let me handle his health information (HIPPA) and had the result sent to a different email, problem solved.
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 28, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by vincewy
I would have to call PWN Health instead, 1-888-362-4321

The problem is they can only help you are requesting the results for yourself, I'm curious how people can get to HI when s/he is computer illiterate.
You will have to call the Walgreens Pharmacy directly as PWN will e-mail the results as soon as they are sent over from the Walgreens Pharmacy so it’s definitely a Pharmacy issue. I’ve heard of issues with the Abbott testing machines/Walgreens computers not syncing and sending the results to PWN Health. If you call the Walgreens directly they can try and push it through again or even print out a hard copy of the results.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by neuro0
anybody use CVS for kids. I did CVS today but they only gave me one log in,
Where do I get my kid's results? Minors are not allowed a CVS account.

Thank you!
The last I checked (a few monts ago) CVS did not test kids. Walgreens does.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Sat morning flight HA JFK-HNL-OGG in June 2021. Tested with Vault on Wed morning, shipped off with UPS to NJ. 2 out of 3 kits arrived by mid afternoon. 1 was re-routed to PA, so I immediately knew this kit would not make it. First result came back Thurs afternoon. The other 2 never arrived on time. By Thurs evening, I knew I'll need a backup plan. My choices were to go to GoHealth urgent care in NYC, or head to JFK airport on Friday (can't do CVS or Walgreen, no car, no appointment). GoHealth would be cheaper, but they don't have 2 appointments until Fri evening. And it was unclear to me which rapid tests to take (they offered 2). So to be safe, we decided to head to JFK airport early Friday & pay $200 each for another tests. Plenty of appointments, no lines and results in hand within 40 min.

The other 2 Vault results ended up coming in on Sunday night and Wed morning (a whole week later!).

We had previous experience with Vault early this year and at that time, our results came back by late Thurs evening. This time was too stressful. And I ended up paying much more for the tests than the tickets.

I know they're stopping this pre-flight testing in a week. I wish they would instead keep the testing but expand the 72 hours windows.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:34 pm

Got ID now done at Walgreens at 2:30PM central; wife had her test performed around 4PM. Both came in around 4:40PM. Thanks for all the DPs. Wish we were leaving on the 8th but such is life.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:20 am

My Parents and I were supposed to go to Hawaii on the Friday of Thanksgiving (Maui) and we could not find an appointment even at an approved location as we were flying out of SJC. So as we were flying Southwest I just went ahead and cancelled the trip including Timeshare as we had two weeks one at Kaanapali Beach Club with a one night at Westin and then one week at the Marriott. The entire trip was refunded. I then rebooked us to Kauai for the end of July for two weeks at the Point at Poipu.

After booking the trip I got us three appointments at Carbon Health SJC and then Hawaii announced that fully vaccinated travelers can bypass the Pre COVID Test after July 8th so I cancelled it. I helped my Parents enter their information on the Safe Travels Website and uploaded our Vaccine proof. I am one step ahead as I am afraid that come July 8th there may be website issues as people try to upload their Vaccine information. Also I did not want to stress in the days before departure if something was not working. All we have to do is answer the Health Questions 24 hours before we depart.

I felt we did the responsible thing by cancelling our first trip as the cases in November were rising and California was entering another lockdown. I called the Hawaii Safe Travels hotline and they even suggested us postponing our trip. I was happy to do so to be a responsible tourist to the Islands of Hawaii. Who knows we could have contracted COVID 19 on the plane or before and as my Parents are older I just did not want to take the risk.

Also a few weeks back at LAX I saw how they were conducting the Hawaii Pre Clear desk for Southwest and I asked the agent staffing the booth about the process. His suggestions were to arrive 4 hours early especially that we are leaving on a Friday and to have our QR Code ready to go. With this in mind I could plan our course of action. In fact I spent time watching people at the desk and one Family did not have the proper test and were very upset(A Family of 8 and I believe 3 of them did not have the right test).

Last edited by danielonn; Jul 3, 2021 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:59 am
Original Member

Another data point.

Took Walgreens ID NOW again after Hawaii trip since kids are not vaccinated.
Sample submitted 10:30.
Results received between 11:09 and 11:40.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:33 pm

Kaiser test (saliva - drive thru at Kaiser Anaheim) done on Sat, July 3rd 10am. Results received 19 hours later on Sun, July 4th 5am.
Walgreen Diagnostic Lab Test PCR (nasal self swab - drive thru) done on Sat, July 3rd 3pm. Results received 26 hours later on Sun, July 4th 5pm.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:41 am

Do minors still get the email with results same as adults? A few family members took the Walgreens ID NOW test this morning. The adults have already received the results, while the child has not. I signed him up with a separate email (where I received the confirmation and such). Just want to make sure there isn't a different process for distributing results for minors. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by EightBall
Do minors still get the email with results same as adults? A few family members took the Walgreens ID NOW test this morning. The adults have already received the results, while the child has not. I signed him up with a separate email (where I received the confirmation and such). Just want to make sure there isn't a different process for distributing results for minors. Thanks!
nothing different with minors. It will go to the same email you receive the minor’s appointment confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.