Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I got a covid test at Walgreens in Los Angeles today. They asked me if covid test was for travel purposes. I'd gone to Walgreens before but not been asked this question.

I wonder what impact does answer to this question have? I previously got a test from EXER urgent care here and because I said "travel" that meant it wasn't covered by insurance and got billed $250.

I'm just curious is the only reason this is asked for insurance purposes and if there is any benefit to saying "yes", I.E. expedited testing or covid-19 proof.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:28 am
fMD

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
I got a covid test at Walgreens in Los Angeles today. They asked me if covid test was for travel purposes. I'd gone to Walgreens before but not been asked this question.

I wonder what impact does answer to this question have? I previously got a test from EXER urgent care here and because I said "travel" that meant it wasn't covered by insurance and got billed $250.

I'm just curious is the only reason this is asked for insurance purposes and if there is any benefit to saying "yes", I.E. expedited testing or covid-19 proof.
I think the CARES act doesn't have to reimburse testing for workplace safety or public health concerns. So if you're asymptomatic and say it's for travel, they may not cover it. Are you worried about the result not being back in time?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
I've been going back and forth to Hawaii about every 10 days and am continuing to do so until summer (and maybe beyond). I am wondering if there is a limit to how many tests Kaiser will give me without charging but so far there seems to be no limit. It's interesting to learn that some insurance companies might be unwilling to pay in certain circumstances. Seems like something our new leader and/or or congress could solve with the stroke of a pen.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mtofell
I've been going back and forth to Hawaii about every 10 days and am continuing to do so until summer (and maybe beyond). I am wondering if there is a limit to how many tests Kaiser will give me without charging but so far there seems to be no limit. It's interesting to learn that some insurance companies might be unwilling to pay in certain circumstances. Seems like something our new leader and/or or congress could solve with the stroke of a pen.
Yes, it's interesting. I have been back and forth quite frequently also. My tests here in Honolulu used to be free, but now they ask the purpose of the test, and if my answer is anything other than "I feel symptoms" or "I was exposed", then I have to pay for the test myself. I don't really mind because it gets reimbursed by my employer, but it does seem to be inconsistent from place to place.

I know I could say I feel symptoms or say I was exposed in order to get the test for free, but I prefer to be straightforward and tell them it's for travel.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:50 pm

I just got test results back from Walgreens (Aegis labs). The "time collected" on covid report is wrong and 2 hours earlier than when I actually got test taken. I got the test 71 hours before my flight so annoyingly this invalidates my test as it pushes it to 73 hours. Unbelievable... such as hassle. >_<
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I just got test results back from Walgreens (Aegis labs). The "time collected" on covid report is wrong and 2 hours earlier than when I actually got test taken. I got the test 71 hours before my flight so annoyingly this invalidates my test as it pushes it to 73 hours. Unbelievable... such as hassle. >_<
Don't sweat it. I inadvertently took my test about 74 hours before departure to Hawaii (71 hours before my first flight). All they looked at was the date of the test.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am very impressed you got the results next day - maybe they finally got their stuff together..
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:02 am

I'm probably going to do same-day confirmed to switch to earlier flight. (AA let's me do this for free) I don't think it's worth risking quarantine if someone decides to be a stickler about test being 73 hours before departure.

The test result took 29 hours to come back... test taken at 1:44 PM and received 7 PM next day. Not a bad turnaround time... except for the literal typo in my test collection time >_<
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:06 pm
fMD

Great result with Clarity LAX terminal 6 3-5hr PCR. It's outdoors now. There was no wait to get the test and the result was back in <3hr.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:27 pm
pxm

Following is my experience with Walgreen's ID NOW test in Northfield, Illinois. I made an appointment on the Walgreen's website for my wife and I on Monday after 7:00 p.m. local time as I had learned on FT that an appointment could be made 4 days before the test, starting at 7:00 p.m. There were plenty of appointments available at the time that I made our appointments for my wife and I - 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. on Friday (today). We arrived at exactly 2:30 and had to wait behind two vehicles that were apparently picking-up prescriptions. Although we had to do the process individually, not simultaneously, the process was the same: the attendant asked us to show an ID (driver's licenses), and gave us the swabs so that we could insert them into both of our nostrils (one inch in) and circle the swab five times in each nostril. We then reinserted the swabs back into the package that they came in and gave them to the attendant (through the port in the drive-up window). We were then told that we would receive our results in 24 hours. We did not have to pay and I suspect that Walgreen's is going to bill our health insurance carrier. We were not asked if we were traveling; there were questions, however, on the on-line questionnaire regarding whether we worked in healthcare or were first responders, which we are. There was also a question related to whether there was community spread of COVID-19 where we live and we answered affirmatively.

We got our negative results two hours later via an e-mail link. Yes, two hours after we tested! We then went to the Hawaii Safe Travels website, registered, uploaded a PDF copy of the results, and two minutes later we received and automated confirmation that the negative results had been received. The only thing that is missing is that we need to complete the health questionnaire 24 hours before departure. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly everything worked out.

As to the previous poster who noted that her/his test results had an incorrect time, please check to see what time zone is noted in your PDF results - our results indicate PST, while we tested in the CST zone. Obviously, the algorithm that Hawaii uses in their automated response compensates for the time zone difference.

Last edited by pxm; Jan 23, 2021 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:33 pm

It could be a timezone issue like you said. I got test performed at 1:44 PM PST in Los Angeles. The test appears to have been performed in Nashville, TN which I believe is CST however the the covid report indicates 11:44 AM PST. If report stated 11:44 AM CST then that would have been accurate but unfortunately that was not what got printed.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:04 pm

I spoke with the screening agent at HNL airport and she said that they don't really look at the collection tiime... only the day. So although policy is officially "72 hours", it seems the reality is that "3 days before departure" will likely be accepted.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm all for more/required testing for travel, but I'm having a hard time seeing why the government or an insurance company should pay for it. It seems like travel tests should be paid for by whomever wants the travel to happen. If it's for some kind of business purpose, the business should be paying (which could be a company, government agency, etc.). If it's for leisure, the traveler should pay.

Now, a government might decide that paying for the tests itself rather than passing the costs on to the traveler might make economic sense (e.g. the benefit of tourism outweighs the cost of the test), but that is a specific calculation that needs to be made, in my opinion.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any experience with whether Color tests not taken at SFO are OK? Is the SFO/United partnership distinct from their other testing locations?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Doppy
I'm all for more/required testing for travel, but I'm having a hard time seeing why the government or an insurance company should pay for it. It seems like travel tests should be paid for by whomever wants the travel to happen. If it's for some kind of business purpose, the business should be paying (which could be a company, government agency, etc.). If it's for leisure, the traveler should pay.

Now, a government might decide that paying for the tests itself rather than passing the costs on to the traveler might make economic sense (e.g. the benefit of tourism outweighs the cost of the test), but that is a specific calculation that needs to be made, in my opinion.
Slippery slope.... government is requiring the test to move freely throughout the country (I'm sure there's a constitution reference in here somewhere). When in the continental US I don't have to pay to drive from California to Nevada.

I'm not saying I disagree with your points.... maybe I'm still just still stinging from my health insurance going up another 15% this year. For $2350/mo for my family I think they can stick a swab up my nose a few times (while sticking their foot in my.... well, you get the point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.