Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
FYI that UC San Diego Health's on-again-off-again participation as a Hawaii Trusted Partner is off again. Existing appointments will be honored, but as of yesterday they are no longer accepting new Hawaii testing requests (last I checked appointments were booked until the new year anyway). No word on whether they will reopen or not.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Did my clarity test at LAX today. In and out in 20min. They said results will be sent in 24-36hrs via email.

I've done several PCR tests and this was the most uncomfortable. They really go far up your nose

Asked about terminal 6 rapid tests. They said they had to shut it down because they didn't have enough technicians to operate it properly.

Overall it was a pretty seamless experience
josephstern and ExpatExp like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Did my clarity test at LAX today. In and out in 20min. They said results will be sent in 24-36hrs via email.

I've done several PCR tests and this was the most uncomfortable. They really go far up your nose

Asked about terminal 6 rapid tests. They said they had to shut it down because they didn't have enough technicians to operate it properly.

Overall it was a pretty seamless experience
Thanks for sharing your experience with Clarity. Which location at LAX did you select for your test?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gstork
Thanks for sharing your experience with Clarity. Which location at LAX did you select for your test?
Terminal 2

It was literally two tables setup next to one of the baggage carousels. The tech had you stand next to the wall to collect the sample.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Did my clarity test at LAX today… I've done several PCR tests and this was the most uncomfortable. They really go far up your nose
Here is what I don't understand:

At DFW, the swab is short and comfortable, and the results are available in 15 minutes.

Why isn't anyone else offering this?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Here is what I don't understand:

At DFW, the swab is short and comfortable, and the results are available in 15 minutes.

Why isn't anyone else offering this?
Is that a PCR test?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:39 pm

Is that a PCR test?
Yes, according to their website. In any case, it's a test that is accepted by Hawaii's Safe Travels program (details here).

So the question is, why isn't anyone else offering something similar, with results available in 15 minutes?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clarity result arrived 22 hr after testing (5 pm the following day - we were the last customers to have our samples go out with last night's shipment)
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:07 pm

Yes, according to their website. In any case, it's a test that is accepted by Hawaii's Safe Travels program (details here).

So the question is, why isn't anyone else offering something similar, with results available in 15 minutes?
Wow that's pretty crazy. $249 per test is pretty steep though.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Any recent data points from Walgreens in Florida? Or Walgreens in general lately? There are a few locations (like 5-6 in the whole state) that offer a rapid PCR (Abbott ID NOW NAAT) test, but the other non-rapid PCR all say results in 3-4 days. As one of the Hawaii state partners I would hope for different language, but I realize any testing site is constrained by their lab's volume.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rollthere
... Or Walgreens in general lately? ...
Scroll up to yesterday's posts. YMMV.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
After reading all the stories, we decided to do Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) offered by Walgreens.
"ID Now" is the PCR test developed by Abbott. It requires a special PCR machine made by Abbott (this is how they make $$) and the results could be ready in 13 min according to Abbott. To sign up, check the Walgreens websites for locations. I have noticed that more locations are available now then even a week ago. We did the testing in North Carolina and last week the only location in Research Triangle offering "ID Now" was in Durham, which was just 40 min drive away. All the Covid testing is free in North Carolina. To sign up, check appointments at about 7 pm - this is the time when the next day is loaded into the system. Double check the birth date and name - should be the same as in your state ID - otherwise you are in trouble and you will be not able to correct it. The test was done by driving to Pharmacy window on the day of your appointment. You are given q-tip that you put and rotate 5 times in each of your nostrils. Typically, your results are emailed to you in 1 h or so. Walgreens lost the results of my wife and she spent a few hrs on the phone with Walgreen and the company which reports the test. Next day about 1 pm the results were found and properly reported. So if you are flying to HI, I suggest to schedule the test at least a day before preferably no later than in the morning - then you will have time to solve issues if any. Two other tests arrived in 50 min and another in 1 h 20 min with now problem. We made it to Kona and enjoying the island quarantine - free.
Another tip: you can get tested at an early time than you scheduled appointment is but it must be on the same day. At least we did this in North Carolina.
rollthere likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by azepine00
Clarity result arrived 22 hr after testing (5 pm the following day - we were the last customers to have our samples go out with last night's shipment)
I believe they test until 8 PM. Are the packages mailed to Florida at 8 PM, then? I'm asking because I'm arriving at LAX at about 6:40 PM.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigE
I believe they test until 8 PM. Are the packages mailed to Florida at 8 PM, then? I'm asking because I'm arriving at LAX at about 6:40 PM.
Ya looks like around that time - don't know for sure if to FL or not - there was a big box addressed to Florida yesterday but maybe it was smth else...
We got there around 7 tested around 7 30 and they said ours were the last ones to go out that day; several people behind would have their samples sent out next day - dont know if next evening or if there is another shipment before...
So if time sensitive try to get there early with everything filled out and paid online - who knows how busy it will get pre-holidays...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by BigE
Ya looks like around that time - don't know for sure if to FL or not - there was a big box addressed to Florida yesterday but maybe it was smth else...
We got there around 7 tested around 7 30 and they said ours were the last ones to go out that day; several people behind would have their samples sent out next day - dont know if next evening or if there is another shipment before... So if time sensitive try to get there early with everything filled out and paid online - who knows how busy it will get pre-holidays...
​​​​​​​
Thanks for this. Makes sense -- Clarity sends the daily samples to Florida at the end of the day, so anyone testing near to the shipping deadline will not have their samples sent until the following day. No doubt this is the reason for the new 24-36 hour results timeline.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Alex_I
"ID Now" is the PCR test developed by Abbott. It requires a special PCR machine made by Abbott (this is how they make $$) and the results could be ready in 13 min according to Abbott… Typically, your results are emailed to you in 1 h or so.
Excellent. Thank you for this info -- glad there is another rapid-results option now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.