Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by mtofell
Hmm.... strange - So, did you fill out the health questionairre at T-30 hours also? I thought that wasn't available until T-24 hours.

Here's an article that confirms my experience:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...on-coronavirus
Yep....uploaded test results at 0630, then did the health questions. Test results approved immediately. QR code email within 5 minutes of completion of questions. Flight was next day at 1100hrs.
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks to everyone here who answered my questions and especially Finkface for answering my final questions via a private conversation. Now, just need a negative test in early Jan. and we're on our way to Maui.
Finkface likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks to everyone here who answered my questions and especially Finkface for answering my final questions via a private conversation. Now, just need a negative test in early Jan. and we're on our way to Maui.
I would think you need Maui to be "open"...which might be questionable. See some of the other discussions around this board.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Took my test Friday morning and flew out yesterday. Everything was fine when we landed yesterday afternoon. United announced the procedure including disembarking by row numbers and said we'd get screened including having our temperature taken -- maybe they had IR cameras on us as we came up the isolated gangway but there was no visible temperature screening, just a document check scanning my QR code and checking my ID card then comparing to their printout. Interestingly, she didn't like my retired military ID card and asked for something else -- no issues at all with my drivers license.

I am still doing a preventative 3 day quarantine in my mother's ohana unit (to her chagrin). Maybe it's overkill but she just turned 80 this past summer and I don't want to take any chances, particularly since I had no idea what was gong on with the other people at DEN or on the plane. Will be here for six weeks anyway, partially working remotely, partially burning off use-or-lose leave, so losing 3 days is no big deal. 2 weeks would have made me unhappy but more due to cabin fever than anything else.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
said we'd get screened including having our temperature taken -- maybe they had IR cameras on us as we came up the isolated gangway but there was no visible temperature screening,
At OGG (Maui) it's right as you walk off the jet bridge and into the terminal and it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. There's an IR camera shooting people as they deplane. I'd imagine the other airports are similar. There are uniformed National Guard folks watching and presumably grabbing anyone with an elevated reading although they never seem to be paying that much attention.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Hi All:

Recent discussion about medical insurance coverage for COVID testing, while fascinating, was largely off-topic for this forum so I've moved it to the Coronavirus Forum. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 9, 2020 at 6:43 am
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
I'm not seeing much mention of Kaiser in this thread - that's who I've gone through and had great success but am wondering what kind of turnaround times you are seeing? My first run was just a few days after the point when testing out of quarantine was an option. That took about 48 hours to get results. Two weeks ago I did it and got results in a speedy 12 hours.

My wife is on the mainland heading home in a few days and has an appointment for T-65 hours and I'm stressing out for her (not sure why she didn't get a more appropriate time but I gave up asking). Obviously, there is a huge regional componenet but I'd love to hear any success (or not) stories with Kaiser and what kind of times are out there.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Friend did hers last week at Kaiser in the Bay Area. Turnaround was was about 40 hours...which was good because she only gave herself about 50 hours from test to flight.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vault is stressful.

Two people traveling from two different states. The zoom process was very fast and easy. UPS delivered west coast traveler's test the following morning; ~5 hours after delivery confirmation no acknowledgement from Vault yet. (Update: acknowledgement email came in ~6 hours after UPS delivery; Update 2: negative results ~5 hours after acknowledgement)

UPS lost/misplaced east coast traveler's test; it's saying "will be rescheduled for a future date" and that the test is somewhere in Indiana, and no further information. So unclear if/when this will ever make it to Vault. (Update 3: UPS finally got the test to Vault 24 hours late; Vault took ~12 hours from the time they sent the e-mail acknowledging receipt to negative test result. Total time was ~66 hours from the sample collection to result thanks to UPS misrouting.)

T-48 hours to departure

Last edited by Doppy; Dec 11, 2020 at 10:38 pm
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm not seeing much mention of Kaiser in this thread - that's who I've gone through and had great success but am wondering what kind of turnaround times you are seeing? My first run was just a few days after the point when testing out of quarantine was an option. That took about 48 hours to get results. Two weeks ago I did it and got results in a speedy 12 hours.

My wife is on the mainland heading home in a few days and has an appointment for T-65 hours and I'm stressing out for her (not sure why she didn't get a more appropriate time but I gave up asking). Obviously, there is a huge regional componenet but I'd love to hear any success (or not) stories with Kaiser and what kind of times are out there.
As you say, totally depends on your region--you'll need to get specific to get useful info about KP testing times. Here in SD they quoting 3-5 days, which is not at all comforting. At the end of October they were turning in ~30 hours (but quoting 2-4 days), but demand is *way* up at the moment.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:18 pm

Here’s our LAX - Clarity Labs datapoint to share.

Clarity now has test locations at three of the LAX terminals (2 (lower arrivals level near baggage claim), 6 (lower arrivals level near baggage claim), and TBIT (upper departures level in Aisle C). All three locations take both appointments as well as walk-ins, and are open between 8am and 8pm. Regardless of which approach you take, you’ll be required to create an account at https://patientsystem.claritymv.com/login and also pay the $150 fee before you can be tested. Once you login, you can check the available appointment times and see how busy a given timeframe and location are. Very nice feature to have.

We chose to walk-in last night without an appointment at 5:30pm, and were back out the door within 20 minutes after creating our accounts. Results came back today at 1pm, so the turnaround was less than 20 hours, and the document showed both date and time of test. When uploading our PDF to the Hawaii Safe Travels website, Clarity was not one of the listed providers, so we selected Other. They’re definitely a valid provider, but I suspect choosing Other may mean we get stuck in the Verification in Progress status online. Not a major concern, based on other poster feedback. Well bring printouts as well.

As of today, Clarity still does not have their onsite lab up and running for rapid response, but a 24 response as currently noted by Clarity (with the lab in downtown LA) kept the stress level low. AFAIK, they are the quickest Hawaii Safe Travels provider in the LA area, and as of now, I’d strongly recommend you use them. Parking is available at one of the lots adjacent to the terminals, and the airport was empty.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BeachRat
Clarity was not one of the listed providers, so we selected Other. They’re definitely a valid provider, but I suspect choosing Other may mean we get stuck in the Verification in Progress status online.
Costco/Azova also requires selecting Other. I uploaded two Costco tests. One hung with Verification in Progress but the other one verified immediately. I doubt that selecting Other has any effect.
BeachRat likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:43 am

Have an issue with Walgreens and wondering if anyone that used them to get in have noticed it.

Went to do a test run before our actual flight next week.

Test was taken 12/09 2pm - 71 hours before departure.
Got results back today at 12/11 9am - all fine and dandy
but when you look at the lab result it says specimen collected on 12/09 at 1am. Obviously impossible since the test was taken 13 hours after, but that would put us outside of the 72 hour window.

Anyone have any experience with this and it getting rejected?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Hoping that we are taking the right test. Here's what I am seeing. American Family Care is listed at (https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/).

American Family Care (AFC) – More than 200 AFC locations nationwide are confirmed Trusted Testing Partners with the State of Hawaiʻi. All travelers ages five and up are able to visit their local AFC location, no more than 72 hours before their flight departure time in compliance with travel requirements, for a pre-travel COVID-19 test. A printed version of test results will be provided to the traveler(s) prior to leaving the AFC center. Click Here for more information.

I click through to (https://www.afcurgentcare.com/patien...ravel-testing/) and find a local location that does Covid-19 Molecular testing. At the local location, they tout the

We are now offering the Abbott ID Now rapid molecular COVID-19 test with results in just 15 minutes! Tests are available to all patients, no appointment required.
So that's the test we are looking for? Trying to setup an appointment for Monday for a Thursday flight to Maui, though numbers might be headed the wrong direction.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:38 pm

Recent experience flying from PDX

My husband and I flew from PDX to OGG via Alaska Air last week. Alaska is participating in a pilot program where they check your test results and QR code and give you a wristband that allows you to bypass the line upon arrival. It was a touch hectic and confusing at check-in but arrival was a breeze.

I had printed our QR codes as soon as they came in, but our test results had not been screened at that point on the Safe Travels website. At the car rental, I pulled up my QR code and it showed that I was in quarantine and not exempt. That was obviously alarming but I also had my negative testing results printed and they allowed me to rent the car with that.

The next morning, my husband and I both got texts and emails asking us to do the daily quarantine checkin on the Safe Travels website. Alarmed, we called the hotline and they pulled up our info. Turns out there’s a backlog of them checking everyone’s results and ours had just not been verified. The woman on the hotline agreed we’d done everything correctly and they’d check our information right away. Within 30 minutes, our QR codes were updated to show we were exempt and did not need to quarantine. If you have the same issue, just call and they will get you fixed up right away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.