Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Which is the best Island to visit?

Old Jul 17, 20, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Hello! Hawaii is my dream destination, hopefully, I will visit next year when things quiet down a bit with the COVID 19, Could you please give me recommendations on which Islands should I visit? I like more quiet, authentic places, not massive tourism and tourist attractions.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 20, 3:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by trotamundos86 View Post
Hello! Hawaii is my dream destination, hopefully, I will visit next year when things quiet down a bit with the COVID 19, Could you please give me recommendations on which Islands should I visit? I like more quiet, authentic places, not massive tourism and tourist attractions.

Thanks!
Each island is different and what makes me happy isnít the same for others. I like a balance and Maui does that, while good friends prefer Kauai. If this is your first trip just explore one or two each time and find one that fits your personal needs.

Sorry, itís such a loaded and personal question that what I think is different than my wife at times. It took me decades to decide, and Iím still never sure. I love them all for different reasons.

Maybe narrow it down a little, but over the years make sure you hit all of them.

One good friend has been to Oahu about 20 times, but never anywhere else. He will call on a momentís notice and beg me to meet up with him for dinner on a short business trip, but I always respond Iíve been there done that, come to my house for dinner. Oahu is busy, traffic sucks, but if you are any kind of history buff the Arizona Memorial is well worth your time.

The other islands are easy enough to find solitude on. West side Maui, plenty on Kauai and the Big Island as well. Again, donít make the mistake of my one friend I mentioned, visit all, but not in one trip.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Jul 17, 20 at 3:32 am
Old Jul 17, 20, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
My favorites are Maui and Kauai. Maui has everything; Kauai is quieter and has spectacular beauty. I like Oahu too, but it's behind those two. The Big Island is a distant fourth.
Old Jul 17, 20, 12:55 pm

From what you describe, Oahu is out. Big island is nice but is not my favorite. I really like Maui for the relative calmness but also having everything you need and being a nice size to be able to drive around and get to everything you want to see. Kauai sounds really nice but I have not been. I get the feeling it's like Maui but with less commercialization.
Old Jul 17, 20, 4:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, with no tourism yet, Loihi will be ready in about 200,000 years.

David
AsiaTraveler, Tanic and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 18, 20, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
In order,
-Lanai
-Hawaii
-Kauai
-Maui
-Molokai
-Oahu

Lanai has 2 spectacular resorts (with price tags to match) but the island has an authentic Hawaii vibe to it. The best of the bunch with incredible natural beauty.

Hawaii has the most to see and do, the best resorts, the best golf, the best beaches, and best restaurants. One of the few places you can play in the cold and snow and be back to 85 and sunshine at the coast in 90 minutes. But it is a Big Island that requires a car and lots of driving to see the diversity it offers. When there's active lava flows, this island moves into first place.

Kauai is small and approachable with lots to see and do...and amazing scenery and beaches. But in the chain, the weather is more wet and unpredictable than other islands.

-Maui is an extension of southern California. Excluding the high country up to Haleakala or the road to Hana, Kihei, Kahului, and Kaanapali could easily be an extension of Orange or even San Diego counties. Place feels more like California than Hawaii, although the ocean and mountains are more pretty. Lots of traffic and in non-pandemic times, too many tourists.

-Molokai is rustic and senic...and super authentic. But not really made for traditional tourism. And no upscale resorts. A tiny island, this may make for a nice add-on to a longer stay to one of the other islands.

-Oahu has must-see Pearl Harbor and stunning coastline along its north shore. But it also has Honolulu's traffic, noise, and sky high prices and fees. Doesn't necessarily feel Hawaiian here, although if you like urban jungles in warm climates like Miami, etc, this could be up your alley. Of the bunch to visit, I'd put this last.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 18, 20, 11:59 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
If it's a first time Hawaii visit, I highly recommend you do Kauai. Kauai is small, feels incredibly tropical, full of beaches, and the mountains and landscapes are diverse and spectacular. Oahu busy.. meh.. good intro to Hawaii. Maui is nice too - very drivable, but feels a bit like a giant resort. Hawaii (Big Island) feels more exclusive, and run down... Landscape wise I think it's the ugliest; has some hard to access but beautiful beaches, but lacks the incredible mountains you see everywhere on the other islands.. unless you want to hike into Waipio or Pololu.

Personally (and I live here), I think the Big Island is the ugliest above ground, but the best underwater - the reefs are the healthiest and most vibrant. Kauai is the nicest above ground
Old Jul 19, 20, 8:54 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I think mAui is best for a first visit.
HawaiiSailor likes this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
My vote is for the Big Island. If you don't want to be on top of others and beaches that are fairly empty this is the place. Maui beaches look more like SoCal beaches with crowds and dodging and weaving between folks on both beaches and in the various hotels we have stayed. Maui has very nice scenery, but I love the contrast of the desert and ocean of North Kohala on the Big Island. The end of Chain of Craters Road in VNP is probably my favorite place in the world. Primal scenery with new black lava flows and deep blue ocean. Spectacular. We have been going to the islands for almost 30 years and and the Big Island is our favorite not only for the beaches and golf, but for the diversity of topography and climate zones.
Weatherboy and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 9:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
My vote is for the Big Island.
Me too! We've been to every island except Moloka'i & Ni'ihau and have settled on the Big Island (just don't call it that to the locals) for much the same reasons.

First trip was to Maui in 1985. 27 trips total as an almost annual pilgrimage.

We now go for 3 weeks each January spending 2 weeks at HGVC Kings' Land in Waikoloa (we do not own but use great non-owner rates available at Hilton.com) after spending a week pampered at the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort.
Old Jul 21, 20, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trotamundos86 View Post

Thanks!
Also, how long do you plan to visit?

David
Old Jul 21, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
My family's advice has always been to spend your first week in Hawai`i getting all the must-sees out of the way. Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, Iolani Palace, etc. Your first time seeing those will be fresh and it can all be done on O`ahu.

The next week or trip should then concentrate more on the things that you particularly enjoy, whether that's just relaxing in the countryside, water sports, etc. You can relax in Waimanalo on O`ahu but Kauai is really peaceful. Maui's changed a lot since my youth and I'm not a fan of the high rises in west Maui but hiking the Iao Valley is still incredible. If you're in to snorkeling or scuba diving, Molokini Crater is supposed to be incredible and you can catch boats to it from either Maui or Molokai. Something I still want to do but have find a dive partner and work logistics for it on one of my visits home.

Lana`i was incredibly peaceful and one of the best family vacations we ever took but accommodations at the Lana`i City hotel are pretty limited and I haven't been back since Dole sold their holdings to Larry Ellison.

If you like deep sea fishing, you pretty much need to go to the Big Island. You can experience multiple climates in a single day there. https://www.lovebigisland.com/hawaii...es-big-island/ actually lists 8 climate zones whereas I only remember talking about 4 or 5 when I was a kid but the point is that there aren't many places on the planet where you can go from a dry arid desert-like climate to tropical rain forest to polar tundra in a single day trip. My absolute favorite place on the Big Island is Volcanoes National Park. Lots of hiking paths, free museum, science talks, etc. A great place for starwatching too.

Like I said though, I really advise getting all the must-do touristy stuff out of the way on O`ahu the first week (or at least 4 days) before expanding your horizons there.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: