Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawai`i Residents - Impacts from COVID-19 and Current Situation in Your Areas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawai`i Residents - Impacts from COVID-19 and Current Situation in Your Areas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
A food and beverage manager at another place told me they're running through existing stock now but can't buy new bottles as easily as they did before.
That's odd and I wonder why .. there's a glut of wine on the market now due to the pandemic. Orders to restaurants have dried up, which made up a huge percentage of winery production and there's tons of bargains to be had out there right now. I've gotten a bunch of great deals on wines from garagiste because of that. I believe tariffs are now in place on certain french wines, are they attempting to buy french wines now? They should try to find another supplier or switch to different wines maybe? There's got to be more to this.

-David
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by denver19
That's one silver lining in this mess: I drove to "the other side" yesterday in 30 minutes. No backups anywhere. I swear, I will never complain about traffic on the pali ever again. Please come back!
The silver lining of no traffic, I’m not alone in making the illegal left onto the highway from the fairway shops. Even Maui PD does it. CJ’s deli is sorely missed, I loved that place. As I cross the bridge over the highway I make a choice, illegal left if traffic is light, or I drive down to Kaanapali out of boredom. My neighbor and I compete, it’s often quicker to do what he does than the U-turn.
denver19 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
My brother posted an article last week about the state deciding to use H-3 (yeah, sounded like the whole stretch) for virus testing and if traffic on the Pali Highway is as light as @denver19 described, a good use of that stretch of asphalt. My mother said they've set up a testing station in the parking lot for a nearby city park. Sounded like it hasn't been used much but it's a start -- one they could have used a couple months ago.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That's odd and I wonder why .. there's a glut of wine on the market now due to the pandemic. Orders to restaurants have dried up, which made up a huge percentage of winery production and there's tons of bargains to be had out there right now. I've gotten a bunch of great deals on wines from garagiste because of that. I believe tariffs are now in place on certain french wines, are they attempting to buy french wines now? They should try to find another supplier or switch to different wines maybe? There's got to be more to this.

-David
The challenge is probably in the wholesale markets with distributors. If you were going through 1,000 bottles/night at your resort and multiply that by 6-8 and then go down to 30 bottles/night at the few remaining restaurants, the economics of who's selling what and at what prices is different. And if you purchased exclusively through a distributor, you probably have no relationships with wine/spirit entities directly if the distributor folds.

I went to Merriman's a few weekends ago; they are known for their award winning wine lists and varieties. They still offered a handful of excellent wines, but I was surprised their winelist was only a handful deep.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
To add my little bit to the thread--I had a major operation last December. Decided to have that in Colorado rather than Hawaii. Much more extensive selection of medical care. Out of rehab (March) but because of the virus, I could not go back. Probably safer here anyway.
I have O'hana looking after house. They are mostly service industry people and say that it's so bad financially that my minor contribution to their income is desperately needed. Hopeful for a ending--my DL has expired!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by hawkxp
my DL has expired!
You will be fine. State/City and County as extended everything due to the multiple closures.

I've been back since June and (hopefully) will get Hawaii plates on Nov 6.

As for DL...who knows. The system (online only.... no walk-ins for either plates or DL) is saying for the last 2 months there are no open dates......
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
You will be fine. State/City and County as extended everything due to the multiple closures.

As for DL...who knows. The system (online only.... no walk-ins for either plates or DL) is saying for the last 2 months there are no open dates......
Keep checking. I have been able to get appointments within the next week or two a few times, changing when a better time or location opens up. I just got one yesterday for Nov. 13 at a satellite city hall and canceled my Nov 6 appt at Kapalama.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bearcat06

Every county is different, but it took me 4 months to get plates for a new car. And then once they did come in, I learned Hawaii no longer has the Haleakala or Kilauea special edition plates
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Lack of interest in quarantine may be a barrier in contact tracing efforts

by: Sara Mattison
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 / 07:24 PM HST / Updated: Dec 3, 2020 / 05:20 AM HST

HONOLULU (KHON2) — The State Department of Health (DOH) has released more results of its contact tracing efforts, including the percentage of cases being reached. One of the goals of the case investigation metrics is to help provide feedback for health officials on how they are doing with contact tracing.

Investigation and contract tracing are key components to help stop the spread of the virus. In the new chart, the light blue bars are number of cases reported and the orange line shows what percent of those cases were reached in that week. Staffing has gone up and case counts came down since August, and officials saw an increase in percent of cases reached through October.

But not everyone was reached and the next graph explains why. Nearly 580 cases were not reached in October. About 80% were because there was no phone number and people did not call back or answer.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/la...acing-efforts/

Seriously? "Lack of interest" in being put under preventative house arrest that only harms the individual in question? Are they even making any effort when writing local propaganda any more?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
COVID-19 Incidence per Island

Took stats published today (Hawaiinewsnow.com) on numbers of COVID-19 cases per island, and weighted based on each island's population (HVB numbers). Here are the incidence numbers since the pandemic began, from worst to first:

Island Rate

Lanai .033
Oahu .019
BI: .012
Maui: .007
Molokai: .003
Kauai: .002

Amazing that Lanai's rate is so high.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 747FC

Amazing that Lanai's rate is so high.
I have to think it's a pretty small sample size. I seem to remember a professor in a college statistics class screaming something about this .

I guess my question is, how many actual cases are we talking? What would it look like with maybe 20 less cases from an isolated outbreak from a group or familiy that just happened to go there? I honestly don't know and well may be off on my assumption.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mtofell
I have to think it's a pretty small sample size. I seem to remember a professor in a college statistics class screaming something about this .

I guess my question is, how many actual cases are we talking? What would it look like with maybe 20 less cases from an isolated outbreak from a group or familiy that just happened to go there? I honestly don't know and well may be off on my assumption.
It is what it is. A population of 3100. Molokai is around 7400.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Been home in the islands a couple weeks now. This is the emptiest I've ever seen Waikiki. H-1 and Chinatown had diminished traffic but still pretty crowded -- a whole lot of people out and about, especially at rush hour, despite a degraded economy. Restaurants are hurting and my brother-in-law is anxious about expectations for moving back into Tier 1 due to current infection rates. A whole lot of my mother's friends are unhappy about not having seen their grandchildren since last Christmas or even earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.