Reload this Page >

Travaasa Hana [Archived Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of August 1, 2020 this property is closed with an announced plan that the hotel will be renamed as the Hāna-Maui Resort managed by Hyatt under the Destination Hotels brand on September 1, 2020.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2022656-hana-maui-resort-formerly-travaasa-hana-resort-joining-hyatt-september-1st.html

Please look for active threads discussing this property in the Hyatt (World of Hyatt) Forum - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:23 am
Original Poster

We're going to Maui in January. We were planning on spending some time at the Lodge on Lanai, but our reservation was canceled by them due to construction, so we're looking for backup plans. What are peoples' thoughts on Travaasa in Hana? I've found only a few brief mentions of it on this site, no in-depth info. We're spending most of the rest of the time at the Four Seasons. So we're looking for something that's different enough from that to be worth doing, but we also have pretty high standards for quality and service. Would Travaasa work for us? If not, any other recommendations? I don't think we really want to deal with flying to another island on this trip, so stuff on Maui is strongly preferred.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
We're going to Maui in January. We were planning on spending some time at the Lodge on Lanai, but our reservation was canceled by them due to construction, so we're looking for backup plans. What are peoples' thoughts on Travaasa in Hana? I've found only a few brief mentions of it on this site, no in-depth info. We're spending most of the rest of the time at the Four Seasons. So we're looking for something that's different enough from that to be worth doing, but we also have pretty high standards for quality and service. Would Travaasa work for us? If not, any other recommendations? I don't think we really want to deal with flying to another island on this trip, so stuff on Maui is strongly preferred.
Our two visits there are not recent. It's been over ten years, when it was still Hana Maui Hotel/Resort, before new ownership with Travassa. It was heaven then. We stayed both times in a sea side cottage. It was very laid back and quiet. Great place if you need to escape from work and the world for a few days. Room, ameneties and service were outstanding then. Food/drink at resort was good. There was little other choice in Hana, so we ate almost every meal at the resort. (there was a general store close by that had lunch offerings, which we did a couple times) They had a shuttle bus that took guests to Hamoa Beach and the resort had their own loungers, patio area and a beach staff during the day just for resort guests. We enjoyed the beautiful pool also. We talk about going back, and we would definitely rate it a solid 4 star experience, but it was almost too quiet for us, and we just stayed 4-5 days both times.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wondering if anyone else has stayed here in the past few years? We visited the property years ago when passing through Hana and thought the grounds were nice. But at $700/night (with tax) it needs to be one of the best hotel rooms in the world, and not just expensive because it has a virtual monopoly.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Wondering if anyone else has stayed here in the past few years? We visited the property years ago when passing through Hana and thought the grounds were nice. But at $700/night (with tax) it needs to be one of the best hotel rooms in the world, and not just expensive because it has a virtual monopoly.
It's expensive because it has a virtual monopoly. Rooms are nice but not fantastic. If you want to stay in Hana then Air B&B is a better bet.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There are over 1300 reviews on TA, ranging from terrible to excellent (only 70% are excellent).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
May be too late for the OP, but we stayed there a couple of years ago and thought it was fine and lovely, but not the sort of experience you are describing. It is peaceful and if you want to be in Hana, a very lovely place to stay, but if you are looking for something really in the luxury category I think you will be disappointed. It just did not seem in that league and I don't remember what we paid, but I think we got some sort of deal that made it seem very nice for the price. But it was definitely not $700 and I would not have been happy if I had spent that much per night there!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Travaasa Hana - worth the money? [Thread to be Closed Shortly]

Keeping ourselves open to the possibility of going to Maui in October...we already have a few nights on hold at the Andaz and were considering spending our remaining 2-3 nights in Hana. Anyone with "recent" experience at Travaasa can comment on whether it is worth the money? The rooms are pricey, the "all inclusive" package is real pricey. I don't think we would go all inclusive as we like to dine around a bit and probably would not take advantage of the paid activities, though the spa credit would definitely get used.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Southwest A-List; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Explorist
We stayed 2 nights at Travaasa Hana in Summer 2019. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Our biggest drawback was no A/C as it was quite warm on our stay with little of the typical breeze. Service is attentive and courteous, but not luxury quality. We did not use the spa, so not able to comment on that.

You are paying for the solitude, with the benefit of avoiding the crowds in the early hours at the nearby attractions such as Waiʻānapanapa State Park (black sand beach) and Haleakala National Park (Pipiwai trail). The adult pool is very nice - relaxing and a beautiful view. Red Sand Beach in the morning is spectacular.

There were not a lot of dining options at a pre-pandemic baseline, so you may want to do the math on the dining and spa and see if the all-inclusive makes sense.

In the end, “worth the money” is going to vary from person to person. Mrs. Grover and our adult children/spouses agreed we would like to go back , but probably only with A/C!

(BTW, we also stayed at the Andaz and everyone loved it!)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
30 plus years of going to Maui, and now I live here. No idea how many times I visited Hana, but it’s enough that I could probably drive it half asleep in the middle of the night... My brother is a fan of the hotel, but he didn’t pay near that rate.

I would suggest some caution though, outsiders aren’t welcome at the moment, and that includes those of us that live outside of the roadblocks but here on Maui. I’d skip Hana at the moment and maybe pick something else for now. Maybe the Ritz assuming they even open back up?
Grover likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd stay away if outsiders aren't welcome at the moment but if they start begrudgingly welcoming tourists to Hana again I'd recommend renting a place on Airbnb or VRBO rather than staying at the Travaasa. Hana is wonderful but Travaasa isn't worth the price and the convenience of having your own kitchen and own place is a definite bonus in Hana.
Grover likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks for all the feedback. Having stayed at Andaz before I know what I am getting into there. Probably Hana gets skipped, but at the current rate that the world is going, the whole trip is appearing more likely to get scrapped.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The road is no longer blocked, front way or back way, so if you want to continue to express political opinions about it, please do it elsewhere. In all fairness, some of us are trying to follow the rules, so we can't even properly respond to most of the stuff being posted here.

-David
So the road to Hana is now open. Is the Hotel Hana Maui accepting guest? After quarantine my wife and I were looking at flying over to Hana and staying a few peaceful days in paradise next month.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 28, 2020 at 6:20 pm Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:18 pm

Travassa Hotel in Hana? They are closed as far as I know.

https://travaasa.com/hana/

-David
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Travassa Hotel in Hana? They are closed as far as I know.

https://travaasa.com/hana/

-David
That's it but not surprised to see it is closed. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Couldn’t find a link, but all staff are to be laid off September 25 according to this evenings news on KGMB.

Edit: To become Hyatt managed.

edit 2, here is a link that just came out: https://mauinow.com/2020/08/01/trava.../?t=1596305259

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 1, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.