Search

Maui recommendations w/ kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Maui recommendations w/ kids

Hi there,
Now that quarantine lifted, thinking of going to Maui in August.
2 adults, 2 kids (13, 5).
4 full days.

General questions:
Should we stay in one place and drive, or stay in a place for 2 days and move to another location?
Any "must do / must see" places?

FT specific:
How's the Sheraton there - I see it for ~$330/night.

Thanks,
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ranshe
Hi there,
Now that quarantine lifted, thinking of going to Maui in August.
2 adults, 2 kids (13, 5).
4 full days.

General questions:
Should we stay in one place and drive, or stay in a place for 2 days and move to another location?
Any "must do / must see" places?

FT specific:
How's the Sheraton there - I see it for ~$330/night.

Thanks,
I wouldn’t hotel hop with a 4 day stay and the Sheraton is fine, stayed there a few times over the years.

Unless something changes, Hana isn’t allowing outsiders (even people like me that live on Maui. I would make a reservation for sunrise on Haleakala, that’s pretty cool. Plenty of good beaches including Kaanapali or further north you have Airport beach, Kapalua Bay, etc.

Some of Whalers is open, but not everything yet, same with Front Street. Hopefully most things are back open come Aug. 1st.
ranshe likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Regardless of where I was going, I’d never change hotel for a four day stay, which is pretty much a long weekend. Sorry, can’t help with specifics on Maui.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Regardless of where I was going, I’d never change hotel for a four day stay, which is pretty much a long weekend. Sorry, can’t help with specifics on Maui.
Might depend on how many points one has in different hotel chains.

David
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Might depend on how many points one has in different hotel chains.

David
To some maybe, but not to me. You’d lose the better part of a whole day moving.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To some maybe, but not to me. You’d lose the better part of a whole day moving.
Understood. But depending on one's economic situation, especially with a family, spending points and losing part of a day is preferable/necessary instead of spending $xxxx/Łyyyy.

David
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
Suspended

In this case OP is paying cash. Stay in one place for maximum relaxation!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
If distances are short enough, a move doesn't make sense, and we can visit the different parts of the island as a day trip.
Regardings cash/points - it really sucks that they only have 2 very high end Hilton properties there - this is where I have most of my points right now :-(
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I love the grand Wailea - maybe spend 2 nights there and prepare to return annually.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ranshe
If distances are short enough, a move doesn't make sense, and we can visit the different parts of the island as a day trip.
Regardings cash/points - it really sucks that they only have 2 very high end Hilton properties there - this is where I have most of my points right now :-(
I used Hilton points at Waikoloa village big Island and Hilton Hawaiian (and Embassy) in Oahu.

For Maui I would actually look into a cash option

I booked Wailea condo last summer through this

https://www.destinationhotels.com/de...ices/stay-true

Actually I used Chase UR so cash out of pocket was not a lot. Being able to do laundry and eat in at least once daily was nice. More room, 2 baths, lower price.

WA Grand Wailea is great, we’ve stayed there before but the condo route (first time we’ve ever done this) had some upside. We did do the GW luau.

We did switch to Courtyard Marriott our last night as I had a free room and an early AM flight. Next door to Costco to fill up the rental and buy some snack souvenirs too.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:23 pm

Sheraton is great, right at the Black Rock for snorkeling.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while in kaanapali a couple times i walked by Aston Mahana - looks like in the same $300+ range but direct oceanfront condos with food options next door.. unless you can secure a good upgrade at chains i'd look into smth like that..
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Need
Sheraton is great, right at the Black Rock for snorkeling.
agreed plus it’s so nice to walk to the adjacent shopping centers for convenience. I know I endorsed grand Wailea but this area is also so great. We also stay north of Sheraton and drive/park at Sheraton for black rock snorkel incl seeing (NOT TOUCHING) the turtles.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Haleakala is really cool - whether it's at sunrise or just anytime (although earlier in the day is more likely to be clear and have better views). If you're up at the west portion of Maui there are some pretty cool sights to see - Nakalele Blowhole and the surrounding area is really beautiful. Sounds like Hana isn't an option but don't fret. Everyone I've talked to who has done it nearly ends up divorced by the end of the day. Long day on the road with LOTS of traffic.

My wife has a rental unit at Kihei Sands - unit B4 that is great for a family - right on the beach, full kitchen, probably about the same money as the Sheraton you are talking about (just Google "Kihei Sands B4" and it will come right up).
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
while in kaanapali a couple times i walked by Aston Mahana - looks like in the same $300+ range but direct oceanfront condos with food options next door.. unless you can secure a good upgrade at chains i'd look into smth like that..
Stayed at Mahana many years ago prior to moving to Hawaii permanently. We really enjoyed our time there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.