COVID-19 - Interisland Travel - Mandatory Health Form/Experiences/Observations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Interisland quarantine rules lifted on June 16.

All travelers must complete a mandatory Traveler Health Form prior to boarding.

More information and link to form: https://health.hawaii.gov/travel/

Please use this thread to discuss the health form and your experiences or observations flying interisland during the pandemic.

Posts/questions specifically about Hawaiian Airlines or other Hawaii-based airlines should be addressed over in the Hawaii-based airlines forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/

April 20, 2021 - "Gov[ernor] David Ige announced today that Hawaii will begin accepting a vaccination exemption on May 11 for interisland travelers who received their vaccination in Hawaii ...So far, the vaccination exemption only applies to interisland travelers, who received their vaccination in Hawaii and can prove that they have been fully vaccinated and have waited the required 14 day period."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/04/20/breaking-news/upcoming-livestream-gov-ige-introduces-vaccination-protocol-program/
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Interisland Travel - Mandatory Health Form/Experiences/Observations

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 3:27 pm

Day trip to Oahu while staying at Maui—covid testing

I am going to Maui in May, and would like to take a day trip to Oahu. Trying to figure out a way to possibly not have to do interisland covid testing on such little turn around time.

1) If I go to Oahu on second day of trip, Is it possible to use an approved site from Seattle to return back to Maui same day? I will test myself in Seattle the morning before I fly out so the results will still be within 72 hrs.

2) If I go to Oahu on the last day of the trip, then return to OGG to fly back to Seattle red eye, can I skip interisland testing if I don’t leave the airport? (I will have to give up check in bags for this)

We are both fully vaccinated. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2021, 5:45 pm

Or ... Walgreens in Kahului offers the Rapid ID Now test. You can just make an appointment for the test ahead of time (perhaps a day or two before your day trip) and it should be free.

-David
Old May 6, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Or ... Walgreens in Kahului offers the Rapid ID Now test. You can just make an appointment for the test ahead of time (perhaps a day or two before your day trip) and it should be free.

-David
I have done Walgreens rapid ID now test in Seattle before... and it took them over 60 hours to give me results even though they said under 24. I’m a little wary of that service now unfortunately. But I’ll consider it for sure if they give me quick results. I thought the testing site had to be on Oahu to count.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cpmp
I have done Walgreens rapid ID now test in Seattle before... and it took them over 60 hours to give me results even though they said under 24.
I'd venture to say that your experience was a fluke. I've probably done close to 10 of the ID NOW tests at various Walgreens locations over the past few months, and have never had the wait time for results exceed 2 hours. But if this doesn't work for some reason, I'd say the second option you describe is probably the safer bet (while the first option would probably work, and I've done something similar once before, I'm not sure if it's totally within the guidelines).

I thought the testing site had to be on Oahu to count.
I don't think this is true.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:27 pm

I thought the testing site had to be on Oahu to count.
No, we tested on Maui for a day trip we had to take. It's not practical or really possible to do it any other way for a day trip. (perhaps possible at the Kidney Foundation airport site, but still ...)

-David
Old May 16, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Please help with Adding trips to Hawaii Safe travels for interisland

Aloha,

I did search the forum before posting, but need assistance with entering the My Trips section of the form. I do understand all the requirements, etc. for mainland and interisland travel. We are going to Maui on May 25th and then to Kauai on May 31 departing LIH on June 7th home. I am not sure if I entered our first trip from home to Maui Departure from Hawaii date correctly since I entered the date we are leaving Kauai to fly home.

Which leads me to entering our second trip from Maui to Kauai. What is the date I should enter for Arrival to Hawaii? Is it the date we arrived on Maui or our flight date to Kauai? I started to enter the second trip info with flight detail from Maui to Kauai but got confused since our actual Hawaii arrival date wouldn't match with the interisland flight information.

Sorry for being stupid, I just want to make sure I get it right.

Also, if anyone has recently flown interisland from Maui, can you please tell me where you went on Maui for your test? I see the list of trusted partners, but they are expensive! We'd obviously prefer to do the rapid ID test at Walgreens for free but it doesn't appear that there are any available appointments. I will attempt calling Maui Walgreens but am wondering if anyone has tried to get tested there on island.

Thank you!

Turtlegirl
Old May 16, 2021, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by turtlegirl
Aloha,

I did search the forum before posting, but need assistance with entering the My Trips section of the form. I do understand all the requirements, etc. for mainland and interisland travel. We are going to Maui on May 25th and then to Kauai on May 31 departing LIH on June 7th home. I am not sure if I entered our first trip from home to Maui Departure from Hawaii date correctly since I entered the date we are leaving Kauai to fly home.

Which leads me to entering our second trip from Maui to Kauai. What is the date I should enter for Arrival to Hawaii? Is it the date we arrived on Maui or our flight date to Kauai? I started to enter the second trip info with flight detail from Maui to Kauai but got confused since our actual Hawaii arrival date wouldn't match with the interisland flight information.

Sorry for being stupid, I just want to make sure I get it right.

Also, if anyone has recently flown interisland from Maui, can you please tell me where you went on Maui for your test?
I would just use the flight arrival date for that segment. I don't believe the departure date matters all that much.

Keep checking Walgreens, in case something opens up.

When we tested for an inter-island flight we used Clinical Labs of Hawaii. We paid when we showed up for the test, so there's no penalty if you find something at Walgreens and don't show up. They have multiple locations and you should test early in the morning, since they send the tests over to Oahu for processing. I used the location in Kahului since that was the most convenient for us.

-David
Old May 17, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ssg10
Finally I took the OGG to HNL trip. I filed the trip on safe travel. Got qr code, but nobody checked it. Saw a long line for people arriving transpacific but they let us go in fast lane for inter island.
How did you enter your OGG-HNL into Safe Travels. The system does not show any inter-island flights in to HNL
Old May 17, 2021, 8:21 am

I'll be doing a trip from LIH-HNL-CLT. The issue is I will be doing a Southwest flight from LIH-HNL before getting onto an AA flight from HNL-CLT. As we have checked bags, I'll need to "exit" at HNL to get my bags and re-check them in with AA. I know transiting through HNL doesn't require a test, but will this cause any issues as some might interpret this as leaving the airport at HNL?
Old May 17, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jayb5
I'll be doing a trip from LIH-HNL-CLT. The issue is I will be doing a Southwest flight from LIH-HNL before getting onto an AA flight from HNL-CLT. As we have checked bags, I'll need to "exit" at HNL to get my bags and re-check them in with AA. I know transiting through HNL doesn't require a test, but will this cause any issues as some might interpret this as leaving the airport at HNL?
You will be fine. There is no quarantine/testing requirement INTO Oahu from an inter-island flight so there will be no screening upon arrival and you can leave the airport as you like. The only requirement that you must stay in the airport is when you are transferring in HNL and going TO a neighbor island next.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:43 am

Testing for Inter Island LIH/Poipu

Any recommendations for testing for an inter island flight? I'll be staying in Poipu. How far in advance would you recommend booking appointments?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Looking to confirm that one does NOT need to upload covid test results from inter-island flights into HNL? Family is flying via SFO to OGG on June 3. We've uploaded Walgreens ID NOW test results for flight to OGG and accepted/processed by system. We created Trip also for OGG to HNL on June 9 but do we actually need to do this? And if so, do we also still need to upload the US covid test results, given Oahu does not require covid test for inter-island? Also, do we need to complete the health questionnaire for the HNL trip? As I understand there is no one at HNL ready to process people coming inter-island so therefore no need to do anything at all?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by MikieLikesMiles
Looking to confirm that one does NOT need to upload covid test results from inter-island flights into HNL? Family is flying via SFO to OGG on June 3. We've uploaded Walgreens ID NOW test results for flight to OGG and accepted/processed by system. We created Trip also for OGG to HNL on June 9 but do we actually need to do this? And if so, do we also still need to upload the US covid test results, given Oahu does not require covid test for inter-island? Also, do we need to complete the health questionnaire for the HNL trip? As I understand there is no one at HNL ready to process people coming inter-island so therefore no need to do anything at all?
What airline are you flying from OGG-HNL? You are correct that no forum/QR code or negative COVID test is needed (others may tell you otherwise but it’s NOT needed) to fly INTO HNL from another Hawaiian Island but the process is a little different depending on if you flying in on HA or WN. If flying in on HA, you get off the plane just like normal in the inter-island terminal and head straight to baggage claim with no screening at all. If flying on WN it’s a little different since they use the mainland terminal even for their inter-island flights. Make sure you have a screenshot of a mobile boarding pass or have a paper boarding pass for your OGG-HNL flight out when you land in HNL. When you reach the start of the COVID checkpoint lines at the exit from the G Concourse make sure you show the person managing the lines your inter-island boarding pass and they will direct you to the left line which bypasses the Safe Travels screening checkpoint/lines.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
What airline are you flying from OGG-HNL? You are correct that no forum/QR code or negative COVID test is needed (others may tell you otherwise but it’s NOT needed) to fly INTO HNL from another Hawaiian Island but the process is a little different depending on if you flying in on HA or WN. If flying in on HA, you get off the plane just like normal in the inter-island terminal and head straight to baggage claim with no screening at all. If flying on WN it’s a little different since they use the mainland terminal even for their inter-island flights. Make sure you have a screenshot of a mobile boarding pass or have a paper boarding pass for your OGG-HNL flight out when you land in HNL. When you reach the start of the COVID checkpoint lines at the exit from the G Concourse make sure you show the person managing the lines your inter-island boarding pass and they will direct you to the left line which bypasses the Safe Travels screening checkpoint/lines.

Thanks! Flying HA (UA code share flight) from OGG to HNL. Glad to hear it's very straightforward with HA on arrival! We already created a trip in Safe Travels for the OGG - HNL travel. Should we just leave that alone and not do anything further or would you recommend deleting that Trip?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MikieLikesMiles
Thanks! Flying HA (UA code share flight) from OGG to HNL. Glad to hear it's very straightforward with HA on arrival! We already created a trip in Safe Travels for the OGG - HNL travel. Should we just leave that alone and not do anything further or would you recommend deleting that Trip?
I would remove it to avoid confusion. When you check into your hotel in Oahu they will want to see a QR code with 2 green checkmarks and if you tell them you were inter-island, they will ask to instead see your original QR code from when you first entered Hawaii. If you create a OGG-HNL QR code, the code will have 2 red Xs as you will not be screened upon arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.