Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Lt. Governor Josh Green wants to keep tourists out through at least October 1, with a check-in on September 15 to see if October 1 is even possible. He also wants interisland air travel grounded again except for essential workers. The new emergency proclamation declared today by the Governor is a compromise of Green's plan.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Finkface
And here is is. Any bets on whether Sept 1 will stick?
We shouldn’t be lifting restrictions until the mainland is at about current European levels, so my money is on Feb 1, But if things don’t start improving maybe even March or April.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
While I haven't seen any polling data, I'd suspect its closer to 50/50.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nomad420
That would be a problem for those that must go back and forth to the main land. In my case now the restricts me to having to do 2 weeks of quarantine for every turn around. Still working on one month there with 2 weeks quarantine, return to main land for a month and then return for round two for another month. It appears that will be the schedule we will follow until they allow at least a negative test to get in. I honestly don't think this is ideal and the testing would have been better for all parties but of course what does my opinion matter. Hawaii officials will do what they want to.
I think testing will be fine once we are firmly on the downslope of the curve, but folks in many states can't even get tested right now. Inviting people to come from areas where Covid is exploding can only have one outcome.

Italy

Texas
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
September 1, no way. Look at the Italy chart, it took 2-3 months to get from the peak of new cases to a possibly acceptable level. I think NY metro has been similar.

It is now July 15, so roughly 6 weeks to Sept. At that point you are into the traditionally slow fall season, so no reason to take a big risk. IMO the next critical target is mid-November, before peak holidays hit. Though I suppose you could argue it makes more sense to open during a slower time and see what transpires.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:30 am

My bet is not until next spring, not until after the flu season.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Troopers
If that happens and if isolation/distancing is really actually occurring, it will be an interesting biological experiment to see if both the active flu strains and CV19 then take off in the HI population.

David
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Troopers
Mine: Sometime in the November December time frame. By then the kama'aina will be up to their eyeballs in "rock fever" and want to visit friends and family on the mainland and elsewhere without having to worry about a quarantine on return to Hawaii. Also, by that time, Local 5 (hotel workers and others) will be on the verge of running Ige out of office.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Mine: Sometime in the November December time frame. By then the kama'aina will be up to their eyeballs in "rock fever" and want to visit friends and family on the mainland and elsewhere without having to worry about a quarantine on return to Hawaii. Also, by that time, Local 5 (hotel workers and others) will be on the verge of running Ige out of office.
Hmmm ... you must know a much different set of kama`aina than me. No one I know would get "rock fever" despite their love of travel (and my family does love to travel). November/December does seem like a good timeframe to take advantage of mainland desires to get away from late fall/early winter weather but that's also the start of flu season. The kama`aina I know are also deeply concerned for their kupuna and Hawai`i has a much higher median age than most states. In fact, I think the kama`aina I grew up with would be more concerned about being able to hold the Merrie Monarch festival or the various carnivals than traveling to the mainland.
hawaii-bound likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
I already posted this in the COVID-19 s14 day quarantine sticky but think its applicable here too.

Mayor Harry Kim says he doesn't think the State will be ready to open by Sept.1st

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...ign=daily_news
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:28 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
In fact, I think the kama`aina I grew up with would be more concerned about being able to hold the Merrie Monarch festival or the various carnivals than traveling to the mainland.
With or without masks and distancing?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just checked with Turtle Bay Resort. They will not be reopening until at least 9/1. So sad...
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Just checked with Turtle Bay Resort. They will not be reopening until at least 9/1. So sad...
In the meantime they are allowing a lot of beach access parking for their 2 beaches, way more than they’re required to provide.
MSPeconomist and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
55 new cases today, of which 50 on Oahu, an all-time high. One new death.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...utbreak-began/
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC
55 new cases today, of which 50 on Oahu, an all-time high. One new death.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...utbreak-began/
I saw that and frankly was surprised. We have been doing relatively well that I thought the numbers would stabilize in the 20’s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.