Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If somehow the State opens for tourism before then - then UA may resume service if their is demand
Right... and hopefully is the case. With that said, it is not something I would be betting on for a July Kauai vacation. Sadly, I think most in Hawaii have come to terms with throwing in the towel on this upcoming summer season.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thankfully Hawaii is such a beautiful place year-round. Hopefully the tourism industry can cut a break as winter rolls around. I know I probably won't be there this year, but already looking forward to some hiking in Kauai!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:19 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Boraxo
At this point there is a 14-day quarantine for all incoming visitors... I think Hawaii is your best bet right now for June/July/August as many international destinations are not accepting visitors from USA or other countries.
Hawaii may be the best bet, but it's still not a good one, methinks -- particularly not as soon as summer. The quarantine may be around a lot longer that anyone thinks. And even after it's lifted, it can be re-imposed at a moment's notice, scuttling (once again) travel plans. As states "open up," some outbreaks and flareups throughout the country are inevitable; David Ige will be watching closely.

RNE, suggesting Hawaii in 2020 is not in the cards.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by RNE

+1. I have December reservations on the Big Island, but I suspect it won't happen. Although Hawaii may be down to zero daily new cases quite soon, I doubt they will remove the 2 week quarantine until the mainland is basically at the same level. At the rate it's going that won't happen for at least 6 months and maybe longer. We might get our act together and start doing mass testing and contact tracing etc, but still it's not looking good for 2020.
Revolio likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Hawaii may be the best bet, but it's still not a good one, methinks -- particularly not as soon as summer. The quarantine may be around a lot longer that anyone thinks. And even after it's lifted, it can be re-imposed at a moment's notice, scuttling (once again) travel plans. As states "open up," some outbreaks and flareups throughout the country are inevitable; David Ige will be watching closely.

i dont get the logic of predicting doom for 8 mo forward when we are just 6 wks into lockdown and almost universally past peak... if we want to forecast we should include some criteria eg certain threshold of new cases/death we find safe/acceptable for restarting business and then look at models to see when we expect to reach it...
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
i dont get the logic of predicting doom for 8 mo forward when we are just 6 wks into lockdown and almost universally past peak... if we want to forecast we should include some criteria eg certain threshold of new cases/death we find safe/acceptable for restarting business and then look at models to see when we expect to reach it...
When the US West Coast and Las Vegas has opened up and is stable and business as usual - then I expect Hawaii to follow. Until then - don't see it happening.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
With the stay at home order statewide extended until AT LEAST 5/31 in Hawaii, the date when 'contagious' tourists are allowed to once again arrive by the thousands and fill the hotels, restaurants, and beaches is likely far into the future.

Given that such a huge percentage of the state's economy is tied to the tourist industry, particularly on the neighbor islands, this situation is going to crush the livelihoods of many living in paradise. I have numerous family members and friends out there already severely impacted with no income coming in.

I would love to be able to claim a refund for the thousands of dollars that United is holding captive for flights that will almost certainly not operate, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not terribly important right this minute.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:07 pm
RNE

When the US West Coast and Las Vegas has opened up and is stable and business as usual - then I expect Hawaii to follow.
Whereas I expect Hawaii to significantly lag behind the mainland. We'll see who's right.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Whereas I expect Hawaii to significantly lag behind the mainland. We'll see who's right.
The Governor made it clear in his daily press briefing today that Hawaii will remain hostile towards tourists until there is a cure or vaccine. So I would expect no semblance of recovery here before Fall '21.
Revolio likes this.

Last edited by Weatherboy; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:52 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Governor made it clear in his daily press briefing today that Hawaii will remain hostile towards tourists until there is a cure or vaccine. So I would expect to semblance of recovery here before Fall '21.
I picked a crappy year to move to Maui.😄 In fairness it’s really not bad here. I drove the truck to the store today, and had a friend visit.
obscure2k and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Governor made it clear in his daily press briefing today that Hawaii will remain hostile towards tourists until there is a cure or vaccine. So I would expect to semblance of recovery here before Fall '21.
I saw the same press conference- that just won't be realistic with sustained 35%+ unemployment. Hawaii can't afford to sustain itself even if everything opens without tourists. They won't be able to justify - or afford - to stay completely closed to tourism if Vegas and California open business as usual. They've also said there is a window to open if antibody tests can be done in scale.
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I saw the same press conference- that just won't be realistic with sustained 35%+ unemployment. Hawaii can't afford to sustain itself even if everything opens without tourists. They won't be able to justify - or afford - to stay completely closed to tourism if Vegas and California open business as usual. They've also said there is a window to open if antibody tests can be done in scale.
Agreed. That position is completely unrealistic and untenable. When your economy is almost completely dependent on tourism, opening up businesses for locals (but not tourists) is comparable to California opening restaurants but keeping factories and office buildings shut. The smarter course would be to quarantine people arriving from hot spots (i.e. NYC) require testing on arrival for everyone else, and keep social distancing in place at restaurants etc. Baby steps, but stepping forward every week.

Hawaii has it easy - most tourists can survive quite nicely with outdoor activities that don't involve crowds. Las Vegas, not so much...
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agreed. That position is completely unrealistic and untenable. When your economy is almost completely dependent on tourism, opening up businesses for locals (but not tourists) is comparable to California opening restaurants but keeping factories and office buildings shut. The smarter course would be to quarantine people arriving from hot spots (i.e. NYC) require testing on arrival for everyone else, and keep social distancing in place at restaurants etc. Baby steps, but stepping forward every week.

Hawaii has it easy - most tourists can survive quite nicely with outdoor activities that don't involve crowds. Las Vegas, not so much...
If I can go like I’ve been doing, anyone can. Open things back up quickly please. I don’t agree with any of this, but test if desired, require masks. Seems over the top.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
If I can go like I’ve been doing, anyone can. Open things back up quickly please. I don’t agree with any of this, but test if desired, require masks. Seems over the top.
HI closed for business until a vaccine presents itself??? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and tanking yourself from the inside out? Completely over the top paranoid.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
HI closed for business until a vaccine presents itself??? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and tanking yourself from the inside out? Completely over the top paranoid.
I think we are in agreement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.